Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 3:53pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish there were easy obvious ways to strengthen that area. For extremity bones like the femur you can just say 'okay squat' but like, the ribs are really odd, like I know heavy movements stresses the core muscles so it probably stresses the core bones a bit too, but can they get stronger? The ribs are even somewhat pliable to allow breathing so does that mean they don't get as strong as the more rigid bones?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 11:57pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a pretty serious rib injury once and mine definitely got worse up until the sixth day or so. Then, thanks to lots of lying still and advil, I started to see some recovery. It was very slow, and to this day, I still know that spot n my ribcage every time someone takes side control or mount on me.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope your recovery goes well and as quickly as possible. I'm on day 11 of recovering from a rib injury (only in this case I'm the newbie and I only got two classes in before the damage). Everyday I hope that there is some sort of miraculous 'all better' scenario but there is still deep breathing pain and I can't sleep on that side. Also, every time I cough I seem to really strain the surrounding muscles and the pain gets worse for a day :( I'm glad I don't have a chest cold.

You may want to try some slow and mild stretching of the area every day. I find that the area gets tight and then explodes in pain if I sneeze or other sudden movement. A slow stretch relaxes the area and makes breathing more comfortable for a few hours.

Good luck!

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 10:33am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tadams
    I hope your recovery goes well and as quickly as possible. I'm on day 11 of recovering from a rib injury (only in this case I'm the newbie and I only got two classes in before the damage). Everyday I hope that there is some sort of miraculous 'all better' scenario but there is still deep breathing pain and I can't sleep on that side. Also, every time I cough I seem to really strain the surrounding muscles and the pain gets worse for a day :( I'm glad I don't have a chest cold.
    Ha ha, that's exactly how many BJJ classes I took before I got my rib cracked too.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12