Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 1:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training for a 5k or half Marathon.

So last year I was really into running and was going to run a local half-marathon, but I found out about it too late and decided I'd run it this year instead, well life kinda sprung up between then and now and I forgot about the marathon, and havent been running.

So the other day I was watching the movie "Run Fat Boy Run" and was like "Hey I was going to run a marathon this month, ****!"

Well the Marathon is 1 month from today, they have the half marathon and the 5k, I am 341 pounds, last time I ran 5 miles in 55 minutes I was 355 pounds. I've done 8 and 10 miles before but with a few months prep. I'd actually forgotten my times but when I went running this morning it all came back.

This morning I made 1 mile in 10 minutes but lagged off horribly after that, making 2 miles in 25 minutes and I was spent. I walked another mile and called it.

So here I am with 30 days till race day, I can run a little faster and a little farther every day, I'm sure within 2 weeks I can do 5 miles in around an hour. Do you guys think I should shoot for the half marathon(13ish miles) or go with the 5k this year? Also do any of you run? Would you recommend running every day but the last few, or should I run every other day and alternate the heavy bag on non running days?

Also I have pretty good stamina, it builds up pretty quick, but I've never been a fast runner..but with only 30 days prep time I'm wanting some advice on whether I could place better in the 5k or half marathon.
    Last edited by Quija; 10/07/2008 1:50pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok no responses thus far but here is what I've decided on for my 30ish days.

*My heavy bag rounds utilize 1 minutes rest between each.

Week 1:
    Day 1: Run 2 miles, any pace. Walk 1 mile.
    Day 2: Run 1.5 Miles, walk 1/2 mile cross-train on heavy bag for 4 3 minute rounds.
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Run 3 Miles
    Day 5: Cross train heavy-bag 5 3 minute rounds Walk 2 miles.
    Day 6: Run 3 Miles
    Day 7: Rest

Week: 2
    Day 8: Heavy jog 300 meters, recovery(walking speed) jog 300 meters. Repeat 4 times. Jog (any pace I'm able) 1 mile. Focus is form and speed.
    Day 9: Cross-Train heavy-bag 5 3 minute rounds.
    Day 10: Jog 3 miles.
    Day 11:Active recovery, walk 2 miles.
    Day12: Jog 3 miles, heavy bag 4 3 minute rounds.
    Day 13: Rest
    Day 14: Heavy jog 300 meters, recovery(walking speed) jog 300 meters. Repeat 4 times. Jog (any pace I'm able) 1 mile. Focus is form and speed.

Week 3:
    Day 15: Rest
    Day 16: Jog 3 Miles. Heavy jog 300 meters, recovery(walking speed) jog 300 meters. Repeat 4 times. Focus is form and speed.
    Day 17: Cross-train heavy-bag 5 3 minute rounds.
    Day 18: Run 3 Miles(Race pace)
    Day 19: Cross-Train heavy bag 5 3 minute rounds. 1 minute punchout drill, walk to recover.
    Day 20: Jog 5 miles
    Day 21: Rest

Week 4:
    Day 22: Jog 3 Miles. Heavy jog 300 meters, recovery(walking speed) jog 300 meters. Repeat 4 times. Focus is form and speed.
    Day 23: Cross train heavy bag 5 3 minute rounds. 1 minute punchout drill, walk to recover.
    Day 24: Jog 5 Miles
    Day 25: Rest
    Day 26: Run 3 miles(race pace)

Week 5:
    Day 27: I up it on the cross training here: Cross train heavy bag 12 3 minute rounds. 1 minute punch-out drill to finish, walk to recover.
    Day 28: Jog 5 miles
    Day 29: Rest
    Day 30: Jog 3 Miles. Heavy jog 300 meters, recovery(walking speed) jog 300 meters. Repeat 4 times. Focus is form and speed.
    Day 31: Cross train heavy bag 12 3 minute rounds. 1 minute punch-out drill to finish, walk to recover.
    Day 32: Active recovery, walk 2 miles.
    Day 33: Rest

Week 5:
    Day 34: Race!

Ok thats what I got, I should be able to handle this load without injury, question is, is it enough? Anyone see any flaws? I'm on day 2 completed and sitting at 5'11 height and 339 pounds weight wise. I have a 10 minute mile and a 12 minute mile so far with 2 miles done at 25 minutes. My goal is to hit a 9 minute mile and sustain it for 3 miles. I have a marked off route, a heavy bag, a round timer, a stopwatch, and some running shoes.
    Thoughts?

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 10:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out "The Couch-to-5K Running Plan" at coolrunning.com

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 3:29pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In high school I ran cross country. 5ks are nothing. If this is your first actual race, I'd recommend the 5K. A 5K is about 3 miles, the half marathon is 13. From your training log, it seems you have yet to do anything in the half-marathon length in running, and it would be a bad idea to have your first experience at that length on race day.

One more suggestion: don't push yourself too much. You'll burn out. I know I did. When I did cross country, it was on a dare. I went from 260 lbs to about 180 in 4 months and my 5K time went from 40 min + to 29:58. I made a lot of progress, but running 3-6 miles a day 6 days a week burned me out. I've tried running since then but psychologically I can't do it.

Long story short: you try to take on too much too soon, you'll fry yourself and end up never wanting to run again.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    Well the Marathon is 1 month from today, they have the half marathon and the 5k, I am 341 pounds, last time I ran 5 miles in 55 minutes I was 355 pounds. I've done 8 and 10 miles before but with a few months prep. I'd actually forgotten my times but when I went running this morning it all came back.
    Ok so ... you are 341 lbs ( just to be clear ) and roughly 26 years old ?

How tall are you ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever had issues with shin splints?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkelAnanas

One more suggestion: don't push yourself too much. You'll burn out. I know I did. When I did cross country, it was on a dare. I went from 260 lbs to about 180 in 4 months and my 5K time went from 40 min + to 29:58. I made a lot of progress, but running 3-6 miles a day 6 days a week burned me out. I've tried running since then but psychologically I can't do it.
    hah you weak bitch, I went for a run the other week for the first time in fucking ages and did 5k in 23 minutes.

although I did run at a high level when I was a kid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 4:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    hah you weak bitch, I went for a run the other week for the first time in fucking ages and did 5k in 23 minutes.

Running has always been a weakness of mine. I might not have set any records, but I made improvement

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex

Yeah but are you a 341 lbs 26 year old who can KILL with his spin kicks to the head because he is "old" and his bones have become more dense with age . Of course allowing him to kick harder .

Those are his claims from this thread which were specifically made in this post . Which I have quoted below .

Now I have taken the liberty to break his quote up for easier reading .

Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    Well from the time we were 13-18ish we would go full contact all out, no pads. Teeth were lost, clavicles cracked, thumbs broken, but your pretty springy at that age for the most part and injuries were few and far between.

As you get older your bones become more dense, your striking limb and its target both have less give, meaning harder hits. Going light was not a priority for us, so when it became evident that we could actually kill each other, I quit doing big kicks.

Now we dont even spar at all. Sloppy is a bad way to put it when the only concern is not being open if you miss.

See with all that information I think Dunkel was right to warn him to take it easy .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BackFistMonkey is a true titan.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast