9/27/2008 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hanging in the ropes...

Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the right place for my whimpering,
    but I read some cool stuff over here in the past,
    so maybe you have a word of advice for me.

I feel my life has taken a turn lately that is not so good.
    - It has to do with MAs, at least remotely, and I wonder if anyone else here had a similar sensation in another moment. However,
    it's a bit difficult to explain:

I was nerd as a kid, one of the kind that often got bullied. I live in a small town,
    and it took me years to overcome that, and without the martial arts, I wouldn't
    have been able to do that.
    When I was younger, somebody I love got hurt, and I swore that I would kill anyone
    who would do that again.
    That's why I started to train martial arts.
    To protect my people, and to help others. You know, to do right.

Now, ten years later, now that I am *somebody* in the eyes of others,
    I feel like I am loosing control.
    I drink too much, I **** around and treat the girls that hook up with me like sluts, and I talk to often and too much,
    and I am colder and more calculating to my friends than they would ever deserve.
    I do bad things to people, just because I can. It's not my friends, my job, my family,
    it is just me relying on that I am now a man grown and can satisfy whatever desire I have.

And that's where I am at a loss - I am behaving like total badass, like a bad person,
    and I am damn successful with it. I get the girls, the reputation, the goals I want. Others envy me.
    But I am not happy, because I feel the way I have taken has made me brutal and bitter.

And so I wonder, is this just what "growing up" and "getting strong" meant?
    - Am I the idiot that doesn't appreciate what he has, again?
    Or is it that I am missing something of fundamental importance here?

In all seriousness, I always thought my training would make me a better man than I was.
    I don't feel so any more.

I am no drama queen, and I usually don't talk of matters that personal,
    let alone on the web, but since so many of you here
    are basically what were my role models for all my youth and young adulthood,
    I hope someone can give me a good advice.

Thanks,

Rafael

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 9:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're in Germany right?
    Why dont you come over and train with me and my dudes, we'll sort you out if thats what you looking for.

As for being a badass: just dont be an asshole, its that simple.
    Last edited by Lebell; 9/27/2008 9:46am at .

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    You're in Germany, right? Just dont be an asshole, it's that simple.
    Once again, the impossible is asked.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    U NEED 2 GO ON A QUEST 4 A TEACHER 2 BRING YOU BACK IN LINE

Srsly, though Sparta...

I'm not going to give you a load of platitudes, or ask you to be introspective to see what your problem is... you know what you're problem is:
    You're prone to being a dick.
    Solution: Stop being a dick.

If you can't stop being a dick, you have to face the possibility that you are actually a dick... a bad person... a shallow worthless douchebag who isn't the person he'd like to be.

Then, once you've accepted that, you can get on with looking forward to a life of flitting from one failure to another, never going home alone but always being lonely.

But, you know, being a cliche isn't all that bad... you never have to wonder what you're going to do next, as your slow road to self-destruction is inevitable, so coast... order your next drink and wait for the next shitty opportunity to spew itself into your lap.

Your posts have never come across as you being a dumbass. I'm guessing that's 'cos you think about what you're going to post?
    So, maybe apply that to real life and think about what you're doing to yourself.

Good luck, mate.

Your best hope is that JP and Snake post in here. They're on a roll.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:22am

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a cold, calculating board full of assholes and bullies. As you said "...so many of you here are basically what were my role models for all my youth and young adulthood..." - well, I think that is the root of your problem.:icon_comp

Jeff Cook

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:23am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done for saying it out loud. If you recognize the problem you're on the way to solving it, and it may mean you're less of an asshole than you think.

You knew it was coming, but... have you considered therapy? It gets a bad rap, especially from tough guys, and finding a good therapist is hard, yet when therapy is done well it can be amazingly valuable... especially when the source of your behavior remains a mystery to you. It could be that you're done acting out because of the bullying you suffered as a child, but are unsure how to operate in the world with the persona you've built up as a specific response to that bullying.

I've sought help from therapists twice for depression - once in my twenties and once in my thirties - and both times the experience was incredible revealing.

Best of luck with it all.... oh, and try drinking less. It's easy to mistake hangover horrors for real problems, and a bit more sobriety will help separate the real from the imagined.

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:25am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so you're a D-bag and you're blaming MAs for it? No'm just kidding, but to be honest MAs and forums have never been a substitude for a psyciatrist visit.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glf
    acting out because of the bullying you suffered as a child, but are unsure how to operate in the world with the persona you've built up as a specific response to that bullying.
    Quote Originally Posted by This Is Sparta!
    Rafael
    Or it could be that he's named after the mean ninja turtle...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also...

The wisdom of a thread like this with "hanging" and "ropes" in the thread title?

Gandhi

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to willfully assume that this isn't a troll, and I'm also going to assume you're not a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    In all seriousness, I always thought my training would make me a better man than I was.
    This is your problem. Being a good martial artist and being a good person are two different skillsets, and although there are some attributes that could transfer between the two, you can't assume that it'll happen automatically.

Ancedote: Replace "martial artist" with "football player" and "person" with "student". He consistently arrives on time to team meetings and practices, follows the off-season training program, works hard to hone his skills, never cheats or slacks off in a drill, encourages his teammates, etc. A propagandist for sport would say that the attributes he's developing for football - work ethic, punctuality, self-control, leadership... all that stuff will make him a better student.

Except it didn't. Our hero procrastinated, skipped classes and assignments, and generally didn't take responsibility for his learning or the state of groups for groupwork. And he had the mediocre grades to show for it.

Why didn't the attributes transfer from one activity to the other? Well, as near as I can figure, they didn't transfer because he didn't make them transfer.

Establishing tight control over your technique does not automatically lead to tight control over your tongue.
    Paying careful attention to your MA teacher vs. paying careful attention to your loved ones.
    Putting effort into sparring/matches vs. putting effort into relationships.
    You should be getting the idea by now.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast