Style
    MMA/Army Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ProForce Headguard w/Face Cage

Given that this isn't a review (I don't own one) I had no idea where to post this; regardless here's the question.

Does anyone use this:
    http://www.karatekorner.com/index.cf...uctID/8855.htm

piece of equipment?

If so can you review it, or suggest a better alternative. I'm trying to find gear that will let my dojo and I spar pretty hard without ending up looking like Big Nog after fighting Fedor (ie: with face protection), and this stuff looked like a price reasonable option.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON SgtGF!!!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i cannot say enough bad things about this product.

i really don't like the design of this type of headgear, and i have had to use it a lot because my school is active in lei tai tournaments and these are required for lei tai.

i feel that the bars seriously impair one's vision, and in the end, unless you have a tiny nose, they don't protect your nose much anyway. i have personally seen someone's nose broken sideways while wearing this headgear.

if you want full face cage head gear, get this:

http://www.combatsports.com/CSI/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={6ba6998c-69d4-42d8-9e96-ac3046156bc1}&gid={f05a3a7c-73d3-4fe3-8e7a-d1e184298aca}&pname=Safety+Cage+Training+Headgear& Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=&

if you absolutely need the proforce style headgear that you asked about (for instance, for a lei tai match) i would suggest getting one from kwon, as they seem to make the best one in that style:

http://www.kwonusa.com/kwonUSA/shop_...562&agnr=40074
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use that headgear at our dojo. In general it's a very good piece of equipment. You do lose some vision with it on so you should do some sparring without it as well. If you go all out in sparring you can still have problems. I got hit hard by one guy (a longshoreman, strong fella) and it made the headgear twist and the cage cut my nose open, I bled like a stuck pig but really it was no big deal. I got hit straight on by a 260# white belt and it actually left a temporary imprint of the cage on my face (it looked pretty funny). For the most part thogh it works as intended and allows you to go pretty hard without showing up to work looking like you got worked over. There is a caged headgear availible at CombatSports that you can also use without the cage. It looks like it may be a step up in quality from this one so check that out too before you buy anything.

Style
    MMA/Army Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJbot
    BULL RUSH ON SgtGF!!!
    I'm torn, do I respond "Toro!" or "Aw ****." (in that first day of prison tone)?

Ming, Vorpal thanks for the responces they were exactly what I was looking for. Proforce is by no means required, showing up to work the next day without having to explain to my supervisor why I don't have a police report to go with the mess that passes for my face, is. And given I have the exact opposite of a tiny nose, I believe my money shall flow elsewhere, that kwon stuff you linked looks nice Ming, I'll probably head that way.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would get the fight gear over the kwon, unless you need the cage style that the kwon has for some reason.

i would trust the fight gear one while doing stick/staff work, which i would not trust the kwon for, and the visibility is way better on the fight gear one.

just my two cents.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    MMA/Army Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given I started Arnis a couple months ago and that there's only 5$ difference between the two... your suggestion is noted and will be considered once what passes for my paycheck clears DFAS.