Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    You should show up, walk in and say: "hey assholes, I'm here for the 'Gracie Challenge', come and get it!"
    My Professor (Mauricio Zingano) used to be a gate keeper for the GC when he was in Brazil. Said there were lots of people that would walk in off the street and basically do what you said.

He has more than a few interesting stories about just how badly these people were beaten up/humiliated.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 11:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey OP, I'm also going to be in Rio about that time and I going to train as well while I'm there. I've better writing to different schools there, but I would like to train at Gracie Barra under Marcio Feitosa but they don't even have a working email address much less a web site. So keep me informed of what you find out and let me know when you're going and maybe I'll see you down there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 2:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Hey OP, I'm also going to be in Rio about that time and I going to train as well while I'm there. I've better writing to different schools there, but I would like to train at Gracie Barra under Marcio Feitosa but they don't even have a working email address much less a web site. So keep me informed of what you find out and let me know when you're going and maybe I'll see you down there.
    I believe Marcio Feitosa is teaching at Gracie Barra America

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 2:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dokomoy
    I believe Marcio Feitosa is teaching at Gracie Barra America
    Not according to the Gracie Barra website, but it's very possible that that is out of date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 11:16am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not according to the Gracie Barra website, but it's very possible that that is out of date.
    What site are you looking at? http://www.graciebarraamerica.com/
    He's right on the front page.

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 11:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    What site are you looking at? http://www.graciebarraamerica.com/
    He's right on the front page.
    Well that figures. Then does anyone know who is running the main GB in Rio?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that figures. Then does anyone know who is running the main GB in Rio?
    http://www.academiagracie.com.br/professores.asp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 6:46am

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    Rogue,
    He mentioned that he allows both white and blue gis at his academy last time I saw him. I don't think he allows black or red or anything crazy. If you aren't affiliated, I'm not sure what his policies are, but I know people without the round, yellow Gracie triangle patches on their gi have had to do push-ups in the past. The Fuji Fighterzone gi comes with the patches already sewn on. You can order one here https://www.hatashitasports.com/prod...&CategoryID=34
    This is true, although it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. When training there the first time, Royler also paired me up with one of his best BB's who proceeded to put me to sleep. It was fine after that! The class was techical, balanced, and relaxed. Just go and introduce yourself, he's a friendly guy.

Barra's a bit quieter now Carlinhos etc. have gone to the US, and Gordo's started his own club. I think the Barra Rags BJJ shop's closed down now too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 7:48am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro
    This is true, although it's a bit tongue-in-cheek
    Thanks for the confirmation. I've never been to Rio, but from my limited experience with Royler, he's very approachable and quite funny. Hope you get to go, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I know I would!

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 5:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Theory
    I just found out that I may be heading down to Rio in January for work, so I'm thinking of taking advantage of the time down there and stopping in at the Gracie Humaita for training. I just wanted to ask first though what protocol I should follow before heading out there.

Also just out of curiosity are private lessons available from Royler? On the off chance that I'm flush when I go, I wouldn't mind splurging.
    I´ve visited the Humaita four weeks ago. I just went to the school and asked whether I could join the training. All people there were really nice and friendly. In the evening Rolker was in and I joined the class (which was not so funny because I was the only white belt among 7 blackbelts and several brown belts). Nevertheless it was a great experience to visit "mecca" once.

It is true that they only allow blue and white gis. And it is better to bring a gi from home since I found it surprisingly difficult to find a good gi at a decent price in Rio. I ended up borrowing a gi from Rolker because of that.

Royler offers private lessons.

There is also a school in Centro where Rolker teaches. Depending on where you will be staying this might be the better option. Going to Humaita from Copacabana by bus is quite a pain, walking is about 20 min. (but you wouldnt want that after dark). Cab ride is about 15 - 20 R$. To centro on the other hand, there is a metro going directly from Copa.

Have fun.

T
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast