Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 12:24am

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I found some schools

Heya, I found a city with several martial arts gyms/schools. The city is Springfield, MO.

Right now I am strapped for cash and probably won't be signing up until my financial situation stabilizes. But I'd like to go ahead and look into the schools and make plans anyways.

After reading the schools' websites and listings I could find on the net here is what I found. I actually found the first one on Bullshido!

American Shootfighting Academy

I really liked the review posted here (repost of a news article?) but I have no idea what Shootfighting is still aside from another word for MMA? Am I reading it wrong?

Springfield Fight Club

This club teaches Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Their credentials look pretty legit with the head guy training under Gracie system. The one thing I am worried about with training grappling, Jiu Jitsu in particular, is I have a neck injury and getting my neck cranked in practice to someone who doesn't understand that would kind of suck... big time. Although you never know until you roll with someone, is it worth the risk?

Fu Hok Studio

This studio teaches Hung Gar kung fu and Choy Li Fut kung fu styles as well as having a Tai Chi weekend class. I'm interested in Kung Fu styles as a way to fight and they DO spar at this studio, which has its credentials openly available to look at. Although I don't know how to trace credentials from old masters?

There's also this listing for a Judo School:
    Hermitage Ju'do'jo Kodokan Judo
    that's in Marshfield which isn't too far away either but they don't have a website.

Anyways I said I would post about the schools I found that were nearby. I'll look into them when I can find some time and talk to the instructors if I get a chance but right now getting my finances squared away is more of a priority. As much as I have a desire to learn martial arts, finishing college and not being on the streets is a bit more important to me.

EDIT::

The other schools were Aikido (blech) and Karate places that totally had a McDojo feel and I'm not interested in Karate anyways.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 12:37am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would strongly recomend the BJJ fight club and the shootfighting, my instructo's a shootfighter

other than that, if the tai chi school is a special, one in a million school where they spar pretty crazy like this kid I knew, go for it, but supplement it with knowledge of boxing and make sure they have san shou

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much all I know is boxing, with a few simple Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun (but nothing complicated I could mess up) principles taught to me by my friend I mentioned in my epic long first post in Noobtown.

But I'll check it out.

What's San Shou?
    Last edited by resolve; 9/26/2008 12:48am at .

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 12:55am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Step away from the chinese LARP! I'd go for shootfighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 1:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Shootfighting aside from just MMA techniques? Anyone care to answer?

And while I know going off on TMA seems to be a favorite bone of contention here I do know some people who have used kung-fu in fights and won with it (real fights not sport).

Either way, I want to know how to fight but also to end it quickly as possible. I know in boxing there's the quick knockout jab and a few other quick hits that can KO but that's provided you can generate the power needed in any particular situation and land it. I like Jiu Jitsu in that you can get your opponent in a tricksy situation of pain and not really "damage" them in a way. I also like the trapping techniques which setup for effective counters that some chinese kung-fu arts use.

I also know that kickboxing will toughen you up very quickly... because it hurts like hell. But my experience has just been with friends and not in a gym.

I'm not much of a fighter but I want to learn specifically to protect myself and my friends who always seem to get themselves into trouble. Just bad luck I guess. Usually I can talk my way out of situations but sometimes it gets hairy and I don't like having to rely on my tongue so much when a quick bit of pain on the other person can end it then and there or provide for an escape.

Thanks for future replies.

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 2:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no! You used the "(real fight not sport)"... Ur dead... In any case winning a street fight or two doesnt' mean ****. In the end STOP asking us what shootboxing is and go and take a free class /if they have those/. Please use the search function in key words from this " I also like the trapping techniques which setup for effective counters that some chinese kung-fu arts use."! Be patient and comfortable with your choice and dont' sign anything that even smells of mc'dojo. As far as shootboxing goes it's a verry verry good school! No way you can lose with that one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 2:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I'll come back to the forums in a few months when my finances have been sorted.

I appreciate the help!

EDIT:::

Lol I read your post again and saw the "real fight not sport" comment. What I meant was... they won where it wasn't against someone else in that style, in a point based tourny. You know? I was just saying it's techniques can be applied against other styles/whatnot in a free fight. I understand that MMA is a pretty brutal sport (along with boxing and MA's that do alive sparring and tournys) and not many people use kung-fu styles in it for various reasons. I'm not dissing sport. Sport is tough and hard and people get injured and knocked out just the same as "a real fight" and sport-oriented MA's have principles that can be used in "real fights" too... that's not what I meant, but thanks for the insight anyways I guess.
    Last edited by resolve; 9/26/2008 3:14am at .

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comparing MMA to a street fight is almost like comparing sex with a condom on to sex without one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 10:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    What is Shootfighting aside from just MMA techniques? Anyone care to answer?
    Shootfighting - Ever seen the Ken Shamrock fights from the earlier UFC's? That should give you an idea. I think if the school is using that term, it should be under Bart Vale's organization (ISFA). Please look around about Bart Vale.
    My impression is that ShootFighting is a combo of Kickboxing and Wrestling. While being an MMA, I feel other MMA systems that incorporates BJJ have a stronger groundfighting.

And while I know going off on TMA seems to be a favorite bone of contention here I do know some people who have used kung-fu in fights and won with it (real fights not sport).

Either way, I want to know how to fight but also to end it quickly as possible. I know in boxing there's the quick knockout jab and a few other quick hits that can KO but that's provided you can generate the power needed in any particular situation and land it. I like Jiu Jitsu in that you can get your opponent in a tricksy situation of pain and not really "damage" them in a way. I also like the trapping techniques which setup for effective counters that some chinese kung-fu arts use.

I also know that kickboxing will toughen you up very quickly... because it hurts like hell. But my experience has just been with friends and not in a gym.
    Ask yourself the question: What do I want to train MA for?
    If it's for Self-Defense, then you have to train to fight and you will have to spar. You don't necessarily have to compete, but sparring is required. For that Shooto, Kickboxing and MMA will provide for you.

If that Kung Fu school does quite a bit of sparring, then it may be good for Self Defense. However, if it's light sparring or sparring with a lot of restrictions (no hitting in the face, no low kicks, etc...), then forget about it.

I'm not much of a fighter but I want to learn specifically to protect myself and my friends who always seem to get themselves into trouble. Just bad luck I guess. Usually I can talk my way out of situations but sometimes it gets hairy and I don't like having to rely on my tongue so much when a quick bit of pain on the other person can end it then and there or provide for an escape.

Thanks for future replies.
    Dude... You suuuuure knoooow how to pick your friends. If your friends continually get themselves in trouble, just let them get themselves out of it. A true friend doesn't try to get you into his troubles and expect you to bail him out. I say dump these losers, get on with your life and get real friends... not bums that want to get their "friends" down to their level.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 11:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    Comparing MMA to a street fight is almost like comparing sex with a condom on to sex without one.
    That's so true. I wanna expand and say comparing MMA to a street fight is almost like comparing safe sex (use of condom at all times, no anal and no BJ without condom) to wild hard-core sex (everything counts: anal, Cum in Face, Cum in Mouth, Cream Pie and no condoms).
    Last edited by ajaxman; 9/26/2008 11:03am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast