Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My leg lock defense leaves something to be desired...

Now that I'm blue, and I'm gonna have to worry about this **** in tournaments, could anyone recommend some good leg lock attack and defense drills? I'd really like to be a bit more confident when someone sits back for a achilles/heel hook, but I always find my brain just goes "DANGER DANGER" and I start to try and kick them off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get two friends to hold a straight ankle lock (no heel hooks) on both of your ankles, set a timer for one minute and on the "go" they both apply the hold gradually. Tap whichever one starts to hurt and they back off to reset and reapply pressure.

Then rotate so everyone gets a turn :)

Its a bitch of a drill but it really helps you build up tolerance and conditioning for the hold, both defending and applying it. You learn best by doing eh?

Also, shikos-Sumo squat/stand&extend leg routine is great for leg-conditioning. We usually do 100-150 as part of warmup.

good times

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah, try to breathe thru the pressure/pain, unless your foot is getting hyper-extended, there isn't any injury threat; maybe bruised Achilles but its a huge tendon. This is why the pressure is gradual, if you're tapping quickly then your partner should ease up. Its not a spazz-contest.

Work up to 2-3 minute rotations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:46am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say it's better to learn to defend than to try and withstand the pain until your ankle gets injured. Is there a reason you're not posing this question to your instructor?

I recently did an entire private lesson on defending attacks below the waist in preparation for a no-gi tournament. Worth every penny.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 9:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ummm, this was shown to me by Russians. Part of a defense is building/conditioning tolerance for the hold. I've tried ankle-locking some of those guys and I get nothing.
    Same that you get from resisting a choke, the pressure is uncomfortable but you begin learn your limits; including getting occasionally KO'd. Its part if the game IMO

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have posed it to him, I was just asking for outside drilling tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 10:19am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Serge. Of course we SAMBO guys have to stick together. This drill will also help you know your limits. I've had people tap out because they are just shocked by the initial pain and told them I was nowhere near the actual lock.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 10:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tapped like a bitch when I took my first BJJ class. I'd done some chokes, but not to that level of execution.

But even still: "F-U zoo-zitsu!!"

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:01am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a blue belt, I can only imagine that you're referring to gi training. Footlocks are seldom seen in gi, mostly because you've got a collar to hold on to.

So a simple defense- keep a hand deep in your opponents collar. Not only will you be half way to an X choke, you'll open other opportunities for sweeps. By keeping a good deep grip, its very difficult for your opponent to fall back and attack your feet. Should he succeed in getting the space he needs, you can use his momemtum as he falls back and follow him up to the top position. This will also reward you with 2 points.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    get two friends to hold a straight ankle lock (no heel hooks) on both of your ankles, set a timer for one minute and on the "go" they both apply the hold gradually. Tap whichever one starts to hurt and they back off to reset and reapply pressure.

Then rotate so everyone gets a turn :)

Its a bitch of a drill but it really helps you build up tolerance and conditioning for the hold, both defending and applying it. You learn best by doing eh?

Also, shikos-Sumo squat/stand&extend leg routine is great for leg-conditioning. We usually do 100-150 as part of warmup.

good times
    dude. my legs were toast for like 4 days after your class. between the sumo squats, that squat to set up throw drill, and the ankle lock drill... UGH.

respect!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast