is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikislacker
    I don't know what you found when you googled, but read this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Squat
    From the horse's mouth. Now go squat below parallel.

Also, :psyduck:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's below parallel, yes, but not ATG. They are not interchangable.

And I own Mark's book on Practical Programming. It's not just a google search.

I see no reason for me to squat below parallel when what I'm training for is about squatting to powerlifting legal. And like I said, when you see the video of Rippetoe squatting, it's to powerlifting legal.

Edit: Russ beat me to it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 6:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, it's not an advocation for ATG squats, it's for below parallel squats. Rippetoe has gone on record saying he does not advocate ATG squats.

Then you also get into the question of why is Mark Rippetoe alluva sudden the Gospel of strength training, when he's not trained any successful athletes on the top levels IIRC compared to the likes of Louie Simmons or anyone training our US lifters.

The man has packaged some good ideas, but people need to get off his nuts.
    "Emevas,

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 6:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To help this thread, this depth would be ATG (not a squat, but best I can come up with at the moment)

That is very much different from below parallel.
    "Emevas,

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 6:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is another decent example, though still not quite there

"Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 8:05pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikislacker
    That picture is to demonstrate the angles of the body and incorrect leaning.
    If you would actually read-assuming you know how to read- what he specifically says on low squats, which is what I posted then you would understand. Rippetoe is highly regarded in strength training.
    Rippetoe - squatting -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXy8Dlgvzo

I'd guess this is what he feels is satisfactorily deep... which... looks, to me at least, pretty fuckin' similar to Emevas.
    Now stop yapping.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2: There are olympic lifters the world over that go ATG with that weight. 315 is a pretty medicore weight for any degree of serious lifting, especially given Mark's bodyweight. Yes, Mark is over 50 and has injuries, and for him it's a fantastic lift, but you're acting like he's fucking Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders here.

3: What do knee sleeves have to do with anything? The girl in the picture I posted is wearing them, and has no problem hitting depth.

5:It doesn't take much to be a competitive powerlifter. You just need to lift in a meet, so I don't quite know why you highlighted that part when things like being a CSCS and being certified by USA weightlifting is more significant. However, this doesn't answer my question, which was mainly who has he trained to make his word gospel in regards to strength training, that we cannot question him and that there's only 1 right way to train? Louie Simmons has trained thousands of successful lifters, and he advocates squats at all manners of depth for training.

Who has Mark Rippetoe trained? How many successful lifters?

And ignorant and close minded? You're claiming 1/4 squats are ineffective, despite the fact that Paul Anderson used them to hit a 1200lb RAW squat. A record that no one is going to touch for centuries. Who is being close minded here? You're claiming that no one can squat 315 ATG. Who is being close minded?
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap culled to No BS Martial Arts
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 11:36am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you pause the video at the bottom portion of the squat it appears that Emevas hip crease is just a hairs breadth below the knee anyway. Its definitely a squat that would be powerlifting legal, the knees track over the feet, do not move inwards or forwards at the bottom portion of the lift.

It appears to me this squat is suitable for his type of training, and there are no indications that it will cause any injury.

Nice numbers as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 11:41am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Amazingly, Rippetoe's squats aren't very far below parallel. He doesn't advocate ATG squats at all, but pretty much powerlifting legal squats. He feels ATGs actually are dangerous, as they require a significant degree of lumbar rounding to accomplish depth.

Thanks for the critiques and well wishes.
    Hmm I thought he said it was becuase to reach the required depth the hamstrings must relax. This opposes the idea of hip drive utilising the stretch in the hamstrings, its also inherently dangerous to lift heavy numbers with anything relaxed in the bottom portion of the squat.

I think lumbar rounding, or at least butt wink is standard in many lifters squats, tbh. I think you can see a small one in Marks' squat video.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast