Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:44am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lebell, I agree with you to a point. However, you seem to have aligned yourself with the argument that only the poor fight our wars. This is false. I've shared fighting holes with several people from privileged backgrounds. It is more of a calling for these guys and not necesarilly a means to an end. And by the way, nice midget avatar!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    Moose,

I've been reading this whole thread now and seen the reactions of various guys.
    Maybe its not such a good idea for you to join.

Though ive met several us, dutch and english marines over the years i hardly know anything about it.

But i know some things:

Recruiters like mentionned before will always leave things out and paint a better picture of army life then reality is.

You can marvel at the idea of free education etc. but in the end of the day you're in the us marine corps and basically you guys exist to do whatever some old dudes in charge want you to do, kill or get killed.
    get disabled? well good luck and take care!

Im very cynical about people who join the army and think it will make a great carreer.
    In the end an army consists of fit young men who are send to do the dangerous work to serve the strategy/politics of their nation.
    nothing less, nothing more.

so if thats allright with you, then join, but do it for the right reasons.

you basically have 2 type of guys and apporaches: the one who sees it like i just described it and the the second one who falls for the 'honour and glory' bullcrap.

edit: i forgot to say this: if you're someone from a social background that provides little chances and all, then its worth considering, but if you have the chance to get a good education and carreeroptions without involving the army then count your blessings and persue that.

LeBell,

Understand you really don't know what you're talking about.

I come from a good background I did not have to join the military. I could leave right now and still have a good career. I went to college BEFORE I joined and I, like many others, joined and stayed because they WANTED to. Its not a bad life. I've got to do things I would never been able to as a civilian. Its a unique culture.

Sure you will do what the brass wants you to do and its MISSION first. But if you work for anyone else but yourself you will be doing what they want also.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Lebell, I agree with you to a point. However, you seem to have aligned yourself with the argument that only the poor fight our wars. This is false. I've shared fighting holes with several people from privileged backgrounds. It is more of a calling for these guys and not necesarilly a means to an end. And by the way, nice midget avatar!
    yeah sorry if i didnt bring that point across properly.
    in my book you have a big majority for who the army is a chance to get some kind of carreer, its either that or a life of shitty jobs and or prison.
    then the army is a good choice.

you got the guys who fall for the honour thing and are lured by the tough commercials and the whole aura of being a marine or special forces guy.

and ofcourse guys who feel they should perform a duty for their country, no matter what background, perhaps those people have a higher moral then me, im not sure.

if there would be a certain threat to my country i would be the first one to sign up and have the decency to either show up dead or show up victorious, but right now im not sure if the or a army is the proper tool needed to **** up the terrorists.

in the end of the day no matter what your motivations are, you're in the army to fight the enemy with a realistic chance to get crippled or killed.
    and i feel that no government in the western world takes proper care of its (disabled) veterans.
    people who are willing to stick up for your nation and are accepting the risk of paying the highest price, their lives should be treated with the upmost respect, but many times they're not.

they're good enough to go fight for the governments interests in some hellhole but when they get back tehy can go **** themselves.
    that goes into every principle i have.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    LeBell,

Understand you really don't know what you're talking about.
    im aware of this, im talking about the general mechanisms, not claiming to know military culture.

I come from a good background I did not have to join the military. I could leave right now and still have a good career. I went to college BEFORE I joined and I, like many others, joined and stayed because they WANTED to. Its not a bad life. I've got to do things I would never been able to as a civilian. Its a unique culture.
    yup, i not that type of guy so ill never get that.

Sure you will do what the brass wants you to do and its MISSION first. But if you work for anyone else but yourself you will be doing what they want also.
    point taken but you do agree with me that if you work for a boss in civilian life the chances that you get killed or disabled by following orders is a lot less?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:11am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with lebell and 2 more things.

1) You should chat with some x Vietnam soldiers you can find them under most bridges..
    You should realize that you can be killed or disabled. I suggest you check out some vidz of soldiers getting killed so you can really understand this. Maybe even chat with some disabled X soldiers.

YouTube - Cowardly American Marines in Iraq

Do you think that the guys in the video are having a blast?

2) how much education will you get if you work from 40-80 hours each week?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go avionics, aircraft electronics technician, 6300. This will give you basic electronics training as well as a specialized field. From there you can chose fixed or rotary wing or they assign you where they need you. If you graduate the top of your MOS class you can chose a duty station. Grant it I was n in 1989 so things may have changed.

You can get a contract guaranteeing your MOS. In a field like avionics the slots are open at specific times. I personally spent 9 months in DEP, I also signed up at 17 but that was needed to get in avionics. Plus you will have to sign up for a 5 year hitch so do the 6 year one and you get PFC out of boot. I did that kicked ass and got LCPL out of boot. If you mess up for any reason and get set back in boot or in MOS school you can lose your MOS and get sent to grunt school. This is more likely to happen if you are a shitbird in boot. YOu may be given a second chance at the MOS school.

MCMAP is an extra thing that is just there to do when you get extra time or as part of your training orders. When you reach CPL or SGT you can apply to be a DI or recruiter and during those times its a llt easier to become a MCMAP instructor. Just to let you know MCMAP is not all that good. Like most of the stuff in the Corps it fills your head with a false sense of security. Grant it you will be able to wipe the floor with "Cody" but against a BJJ blue in a tournament that MCMAP BB will be used to strangle you.

Good choice in branches to serve. It was one of the best things I did with my life. That USMC on a resume is enough to get you virtually any job you apply for later in life.

Once a Marine always a Marine.

Semper Fi.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:16am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe I should post some vidz of karateka's in wheelchairs so you understand what disabled means:)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    im aware of this, im talking about the general mechanisms, not claiming to know military culture.
    I don't think you know about the mechanisms that well either.

I dealt with literally thousands of IET soldiers. They come from all walks of life, majority of them coming form middle class families. Those who tend to stick it out come from middle class or stable families.

point taken but you do agree with me that if you work for a boss in civilian life the chances that you get killed or disabled by following orders is a lot less?
    Depends on the job. Firefighter, Law Enforcement, Fishing Boat, Cleaning Sewers, Heavy machine mechanic, etc can all lead to death or disability while following orders.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:21am

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also make sure you understand that in the event of an injury in boot camp you could end up sitting in the MRP or the PEB for upwards of a year before either graduating or being discharged.

I heard of one guy who supposedly was on Parris Island for 17 1/2 months. That was from a recruit in my platoon, though. No idea where he got his info from.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 8:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you know about the mechanisms that well either.

I dealt with literally thousands of IET soldiers. They come from all walks of life, majority of them coming form middle class families. Those who tend to stick it out come from middle class or stable families.
    allright, im not so stupid as to think i should know better then a guy who actually lives that life, so i stand corrected.

Depends on the job. Firefighter, Law Enforcement, Fishing Boat, Cleaning Sewers, Heavy machine mechanic, etc can all lead to death or disability while following orders.
    Yeah i was kinda thinking non governmental jobs here, like lets say ICT or similar things.
    the again you can be a cabdriver or a conveniance store clerk..ghehe
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast