Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 11:19pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its been said, but I'll throw in my two cents on the issue:

The military is not for everyone, and that's okay. I have no problem with people who chose not to serve. It is a job that requires a certain calling and personality type. That is why we use volunteers instead of conscripts.

I do have a problem with three types of people.

The first type is the guy who hears you were a Marine and says, "I was going to joint the Marines, but..." You don't need to make excuses to me, buddy. I don't think I'm better than you.

The second type is the one who says, "well, if I were over there in Iraq/Afghanistan, I would do this and this and this..." Well, your not there, and you don't understand the things you are talking about, so shut the **** up!

The third is the type that looks down on military service, whether they say it outright or not, and thinks that it would be a bad idea for anyone to join. Like I already said, it isn't for everyone. Our profession requires an acceptance of a certain level of risk and a capacity for committing acts of violence. This is a concept some people can't wrap their minds around, especially the later aspect. This scares some people, and some at the very least misdirect their disagreement with certain aspects of national policy through a dislike of those charged with carrying it out.

My response: We are the reason you feel safe at home every night. We are the reason you have no fear of being invaded by a foreign power. We are the reason you live in a free society where you can express your beliefs and practice your religion without fear of reprisal. We are the ones you stand behind when the wolves howl at the door.

You don't have to like us. You don't even have to respect us. The necessity of our existence may disgust and terrify you because it reminds you that the world is not always such a beautiful place and evil exists. But when you need protection from that evil, we will be there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 12:08am

Style: Taiji for now, damnitall

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    The first type is the guy who hears you were a Marine and says, "I was going to join the Marines, but..." You don't need to make excuses to me, buddy. I don't think I'm better than you.
    Preach on, brother. I always wonder why these guys seem to think they have to brag about their dick size once they find out I'm a Marine. I don't care. Really, I don't.

The third is the type that looks down on military service, whether they say it outright or not, and thinks that it would be a bad idea for anyone to join.
    I think you've pegged our friend Stigander, there. These guys are full of upper-class condescension (someone considering military service must either be a child or of a lower class and clearly not capable of deciding properly what to do) that makes me, as an officer and a college-educated professional, wonder exactly what color the sky is on their planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigander
    I kind of think that. I realize that it sounds dumb but.. I don't think the military is good for the average joe and I feel sick when people starts jattering about duty and honor and serving their country. I am tiered right now.
    Stigander, if you're still with us, please understand -- I believe you're entitled to your opinion, even if I disagree. But I'm curious. What is the basis of your opinion? Personal military experience? Family/friend military experience? CNN?

If it's not right for the average joe, who is it right for? Some sub-class of people who can't find anything better? Nobody at all, because the world is full of sweetness and light and the country doesn't need a military?

Do you really believe there is no honor in service?

Where are you tiered? Tier III? Tier IV? :rolleyes:

~yanta

Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 12:15am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey moose, i seem to remember you posting about possibly wanting to go pro-mma in your future and at another time about how you wanted to do a degree. Chances are you are like most 17 year olds and have no clue what you want to do yet, don't sign up for something you are not definate about.

Military service is a big commitment which you can't just quit when you feel like it, don't rush into it. Since you have the economical freedom to do a degree first you probably should, then join as an officer at an age where hormones are not controlling you.

Not ragging you here, i had the same urges to join the air force when i was 18 (family history of service too) and i'm glad i didn't, doing a degree first was the right move for me.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pay and housing are better for officers, but its a double edged sword. I can't speak for the guys in support MOS's (anyone who swings with the Wing lives pretty high on the hog) but an officer assigned to an infantry battalion can expect to work longer hours and enjoy less liberty than the Marines in his charge. You are also held to a much higher standard than the enlisted guys, especially when it comes to discipline. You will never hear about an officer recieving non-judicial punishment for legal offenses like drunk driving. Officers don't get reduced in rank, they get court martialled and kicked out of the service.

Rank has its privileges, but leadership has its burdens.
    I can't speak for the infantry officers, but my best friend is a captain with an arty battery, he's deployed to Iraq twice for 7 months at a stretch and from the way he tells it, his time in country and stateside has been easier (and more profitable) than any enlisted Marine I've met. He pockets over $1000 in BAH and BAS money after he pays for rent and groceries, he lives 2 blocks from the beach and seems to make his own hours. He turned down a chance to be an MOI at an ROTC Bn and have his MBA paid for. I don't know why. But, he's getting out soon and has a pretty impressive resume thanks to having a degree and his experience in the Corps. He's planning on becoming an FBI agent.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

United States Marine.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 1:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Hey moose, i seem to remember you posting about possibly wanting to go pro-mma in your future and at another time about how you wanted to do a degree. Chances are you are like most 17 year olds and have no clue what you want to do yet, don't sign up for something you are not definate about.

Military service is a big commitment which you can't just quit when you feel like it, don't rush into it. Since you have the economical freedom to do a degree first you probably should, then join as an officer at an age where hormones are not controlling you.

Not ragging you here, i had the same urges to join the air force when i was 18 (family history of service too) and i'm glad i didn't, doing a degree first was the right move for me.

Naw, i understand.

Of course i want a career in mma. What fighter doesn't? I can continue to fight/train MMA in the Marines, as long as my duty station permits.

A college degree? Oh hell yes! In this day and age, kids like me need a degree. I can fight/train mma, and get a degree at the same time.

or, I can join the Marines, find some direction for myself, as well as discipline, get my college degree (s) paid for (i'm thinking Masters in Social Work, and maybe a B.A in clinical psych), and come out a better fighter.

Really, as long as i don't die, i don't see how the Marines can be a negative influence in my life.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Troll 4 life.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 1:47am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Naw, i understand.

Of course i want a career in mma. What fighter doesn't? I can continue to fight/train MMA in the Marines, as long as my duty station permits.

A college degree? Oh hell yes! In this day and age, kids like me need a degree. I can fight/train mma, and get a degree at the same time.

or, I can join the Marines, find some direction for myself, as well as discipline, get my college degree (s) paid for (i'm thinking Masters in Social Work, and maybe a B.A in clinical psych), and come out a better fighter.

Really, as long as i don't die, i don't see how the Marines can be a negative influence in my life.
    Good for you, as long as you join you are directly tied to The man's politics.

And you won't be bragging about your romantic conquests for 4 years.

EDIT: moose, you know how much you loved eddie bravo until everybody told you you were a typical kid who should learn how to grapple?

remember the **** you got from asking what an inverted triangle was?

remember how "rubber guard raped your knee"?

it's kind of like that.
    Last edited by tharuz; 9/27/2008 1:51am at .

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 1:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yanta
    I think you've pegged our friend Stigander, there. These guys are full of upper-class condescension (someone considering military service must either be a child or of a lower class and clearly not capable of deciding properly what to do) that makes me, as an officer and a college-educated professional, wonder exactly what color the sky is on their planet.
    You know what's really ironic? My parents are loaded. There really was no economic incentive for me to join and I basically knowingly gave the Corps four of the best years of my youth.

Best decision I ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by yanta
    I can't speak for the infantry officers, but my best friend is a captain with an arty battery, he's deployed to Iraq twice for 7 months at a stretch and from the way he tells it, his time in country and stateside has been easier (and more profitable) than any enlisted Marine I've met. He pockets over $1000 in BAH and BAS money after he pays for rent and groceries, he lives 2 blocks from the beach and seems to make his own hours. He turned down a chance to be an MOI at an ROTC Bn and have his MBA paid for. I don't know why. But, he's getting out soon and has a pretty impressive resume thanks to having a degree and his experience in the Corps. He's planning on becoming an FBI agent.
    Arty's kinda weird right now. 155s are not really in heavy use in Iraq as mortars are safer and more versatile in urban terrain. Even mortar sections are being used more often as mobile assault platoons (like CAAT with a couple of trucks full of dismounts, CAAT as you probably knew it no longer exists in some battalions) than as an indirect fire asset. The artillery LTs assigned to us cross trained as information operations officers and basically did that along with other collateral duties. Lot of thumb twiddling and COC watch in the rear. The same guys later deployed with their battalion and ended up working as a provisional MP battalion near the border, so they were busy during that cycle.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

United States Marine.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 2:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    Good for you, as long as you join you are directly tied to The man's politics.

And you won't be bragging about your romantic conquests for 4 years.

EDIT: moose, you know how much you loved eddie bravo until everybody told you you were a typical kid who should learn how to grapple?

remember the **** you got from asking what an inverted triangle was?

remember how "rubber guard raped your knee"?

it's kind of like that.

I still dig eddie bravo. His **** just doens't work for me.

Yes, it was a stupid question, phrased in a stupid way.

It did, after demonstrating to my physician what i did, he said, Yeah, that right there (gogoplata, mission control, retard control, and crackhead. Kung fu-move wasn't good, either) tore the **** out of your meniscus. I wasn't doing it right, sure, but how many people do from a damn book?

I still don't see your point.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Troll 4 life.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 2:07am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I still dig eddie bravo. His **** just doens't work for me.

Yes, it was a stupid question, phrased in a stupid way.

It did, after demonstrating to my physician what i did, he said, Yeah, that right there (gogoplata, mission control, retard control, and crackhead. Kung fu-move wasn't good, either) tore the **** out of your meniscus. I wasn't doing it right, sure, but how many people do from a damn book?

I still don't see your point.
    I'd recommend reading the Punisher's In the Beginning arc at your local Borders.

My point being that it's one of those things where your mind is clouded and naive to understand.

Personally, I don't worry about being waken up in the morning, or the cold water in hell week(it's called hell week for a reason), or running when I dont feel like it, or the drill seargant's yelling, or the lack of *****, or the danger of rape, or being very closely tied to do The Man's bidding.

it's the relationship with other cadets that would worry me.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh...
    I'd recommend reading the Punisher's In the Beginning arc at your local Borders.
    Frank Castle, although undeniably cool, is not a real person.

My point being that it's one of those things where your mind is clouded and naive to understand.
    This sounds more self-aware than anything.

Personally, I don't worry about being waken up in the morning, or the cold water in hell week(it's called hell week for a reason),
    There is no "Hell Week" in boot camp, but there is a fun activity called the Crucible.
    or running when I dont feel like it,
    There's a time when you actually feel like running?
    or the drill seargant's yelling,
    Its not yelling, its "motivating loudly"
    or the lack of *****,
    Chicks dig Marines.
    or the danger of rape,
    Its not prison.
    or being very closely tied to do The Man's bidding.
    No one takes away his right to vote. He will be duty bound not to carry out illegal orders.
    it's the relationship with other cadets that would worry me.
    They're called recruits, and later Marines. They are the best friends he will ever make and will be willing to give their lives to protect each other. How many of your friends would do that?

You act like you want us to think that you speak from experience. Pray tell, what experience to you have, aside from reading comic books and watching really shitty movies?
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast