Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So is this right?

Hey everybody, I am, obviously, new here. Figured I would introduce myself. The screen name isn't some tough guy thing, its just been a nickname for years since it ryhmes with my real name. Well, martial arts wise I have a black belt in Shotokan, a style I recently left and I just BJJ at Tinguinha's (I hope I spelled that right...). Well, that's that for an intro, guess I'll go lurk for a bit, see what goes down around here, avoid getting flamed, you know the usual.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, MeanGene, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Style
    Jiu Jits, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, good luck gene.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One bot and one real dude. Cool. Thanks for the welcome by the way Libertad.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ... Join us... or die
    Style
    KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did you quit the Karoty and picked up the BJ?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Style
    BJJ / MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to BS. How was the Shotokan stuff?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, and here I thought you were naming yourself after Bullshido's May Badass of the Month: Gene Lebell.

'sall good though. Welcome to Bullshido =D

YouTube - Gene Lebell - Bullshido.net Badass of the Month

Where'd you study Shotokan? Why'd you leave?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little late in terms of response, but here goes. I trained Shotokan at the Whittier Shotokan dojo, a place I'd been going to since I was 5. I've always hated point sparring, and more importantly, the idea that because the hit "looked" good, it deserves a point. After a bit of time I kind of stopped trying to like it, and when your 2nd degree BB test revolves around point sparring, you find yourself with not much to do.

That, and my instructor was making a point of trying to sell pressure points as combat effective. Don't get me wrong, they can kinda hurt, but the more I learned about them the less likely they seemed to be the effective edge you would need in a fight. Some need to be hit before others, with X amount of pressure at Y angle, and some people due to muscle density can't feel them etc, etc.

As for the "Why BJJ" I just wanted to grapple. I liked learning the little bits of judo that got thrown into my earlier training, but I wanted to do more ground work. That and it's sufficeintly different enough, with just the right touch of familiarity.

In short, Shotokan wasn't teaching me what I wanted to get out of a martial art, how to be able to handle myself against any opponent, big or small (I weigh in at 148 lbs., mostly muscle, but not enough to go toe to toe with some 200+ lb. beast). BJJ seems to give me that opportunity. And it's fun.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I did shotokan, we didn't do point sparring, ever. I didn't do point sparring in my whole life until one time recently at a tournament at my sister's school which I thought would be continious sparring. I won, and felt a little ashamed with myself.

In the shotokan tournaments when I was a kid, it was continuous sparring- point system, timed rounds, etc. It's interesting that it's done so differently elsewhere.

Anyhow, welcome dude and congrats on getting into BJJ. BJJ rocks.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, that doesn't really surprise me BudoMonkey. At least not anymore. I remember being a kid and watching the adults practice full contact sparring. That was what I wanted to do, but even they didn't seem to focus on it much, like it was just something they did for the sake of doing it, since all the "real" stuff was in point sparring. It's good to know that somewhere the art I started in is focusing on kicking ass though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last