Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stronger not bigger

So I've started lifting, three times a week or so, back/bi/legs one day, chest, tris, abs another. Very basic. Running on the off days.
    I'd just like to be a bit stronger, I think I look stronger than I am, I'd rather it be the other way around. My questions is: how do I become stronger without getting bigger? I'm stocky enough already. I don't really care about my weight, just appearance.
    Should I do more reps with less weight? Should I avoid lifting until failure? Should I favor carbs over protein? Or is this totally impossible?

Sorry if this is a repost

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 11:28am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first suggestion is search this forum on keywords like strength workout, 5x5, mass etc (and I'm not saying that to be a smartass but there are a lot of threads on this topic line in here)

First off, getting bigger will, to some extent be a factor of how much you eat, don't dramatically increase your food intake and that'll inhibit how much bigger you'll get.

Give us more information on your current workout. What you're doing exercise-wise may not be helping you a whole lot. Re-jigging your program to include some basics like squat, deadlift etc if you don't already do them can contribute a lot.

PirateJon will throw in that you should read the book "Starting Strength", available on B&N or Amazon

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should read the...

DOH!

seiously though - it's great. The second edition just came out.

http://www.startingstrength.com/
    Last edited by PirateJon; 10/19/2007 2:19pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get stronger, quit following a bodybuilding split for your training. Full body training, or at the very most an upperbody/lowerbody split is necessary. The suggestions above me are good.

Also, don't eat above your maintenece calorie level and you won't gain weight.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the OP

full Squats (back and front), bench presses and deadlifts (regular and back) should be the meat and potatoes of your training routine. Anything resembling a bicep curl or a tricep extension should be nixed (they have their place, but for most pple, they are a waste of time.)

As Emevas said, a full body workout or at least a upper body/lower body split, that's they way to get strong. Simpler = better.

In very simplistic terms you could think your workouts to be like this (I'm just pulling an example out of my ass, this is not gospel):

workout A: flat bench presses and squats (and maybe barbell rows or overhead presses.)
    workout B: incline bench presses and deadlifts (and maybe dumbell lunges.)

That is, one day, you do workout A, and your next one will resemble workout B. Whether you work out 2 or 3 times a week, that would be the pattern. That is, one workout is A and the next one is B, regardless of frequency.

I would advise not to do those workouts more than 3 times a week since your body needs to recover. Furthermore, you will diligently increase the weight used every week in small increments of 5 to 15lbs. You start working at a rep range of 8 to 10, and after a month and a half or so of diligent work, you begin to work at a rep range of 4 to 6 (that is, you'll use heavier weights.)

Every three or four weeks of lifting heavy is followed by a week or two in which you taper, diminish the intensity of your workouts for your body to heal, recover and grow stronger.

This is not TEH ZOMG!!11! ULTIMATE WORKOUT. Heck, it's even far from perfect. However, see it a template of what a workout for gaining strenght may look like. You can see that such a workout differs tremendously from workouts you see in Men's Health or Flex (which are the ones Emevas was referring to.) Stay away from that type of ****. :sad3:

You do this (or something similar) diligently for a couple of months and you will get stronger.

Also, try to calculate how much calories you eat... or at the very least, note what you eat everyday for a few weeks. Then proceed to make your meals leaner and smaller. This will keep your weight and size in check. Make sure to take a multivitamin at least.

To get bigger, you need more than lifting. Lifting by itself won't make you big. Getting big requires a concerted effort with the correct diet. If you don't want to get bigger, you will not. But you want to eat right to make sure you give your body the nourishment it needs to get stronger.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sticky incoming... hopefully this thread may blossom into something beautiful.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I get replaced with a bot that links to rippetoes books, I'll post the sexellent chart to answer the rep question. Hope I don't **** up the frames.

Spoiler:

In that chart, Strength is basically defined as "moving a large weight slowly". Picture those 1000lb 1 rep squats.

Power is definded as moving a heavy weight fast. Think of olympic lifters. This type of power is most useful for combat athletes.

-- EDIT by Macho--

Added spoiler around the chart to fix the frames.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/23/2007 2:50pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your missing enough pulling motions in there, Macho. Deadlifts are great, but they are not enough. Get some pull ups in there, and maybe some rows. So that'd leave you with bench, deadlifts, squats, pull ups and rows. You could do a push/pull split then too.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, at least chin ups could be thrown into the mix somehow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 10:28pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Before I get replaced with a bot that links to rippetoes books, I'll post the sexellent chart to answer the rep question. Hope I don't **** up the frames.

...big charty stuff...

In that chart, Strength is basically defined as "moving a large weight slowly". Picture those 1000lb 1 rep squats.

Power is definded as moving a heavy weight fast. Think of olympic lifters. This type of power is most useful for combat athletes.
    Sexcellent indeed. OK, I'm convinced - even if this chart was not in the book, my order is in with Amazon.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast