Sponsored Links Spacer Image

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/21/2008 5:38pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I Finally Decided to Listen to You Meatheads [squats]

For years I've avoided squats or done a half squat because of bad knees. I basically shredded all the ligaments in one knee and have had a couple of surgeries to fix it up. I've been physically active, even athletic at times, but always very careful.

After reading this forum for a long time and sometimes paying attention, I decided to try doing some proper squats. First of all, they weren't that bad on the knees, second of all my knees actually got better after the first week. I've only been doing them for about three weeks, but I feel like I've been supercharged.

I've been reading Starting Strength and it has given me a much better understanding of the bio-mechanics. I probably never would have done squats right without that book. I probably never would have got the book if I hadn't read about it on this forum.

In case someone else comes across this, here's the version for the attention-challenged:

[ADD]

1) my knees are bad

2) I did full, proper squats and it didn't hurt my knees

3) it actually helped my knees

4) get the book Starting Strength

[/ADD]

However, I'm pretty sure everything else you guys post is bullshit. :5badair:
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 8:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    However, I'm pretty sure everything else you guys post is bullshit. :5badair:

Either that, or you just need to go find the book to confirm it before you come back to thank them all later for the success they led you to.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 2:40pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    Either that, or you just need to go find the book to confirm it before you come back to thank them all later for the success they led you to.
    Just my attempt at jocularity. "Joshing around" as the Americans might say... :usa2: :usa2: :usa2:
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 11:23pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The squat is an amazing lift. They quickly build strength and weight. It was one of our core lifts in hs and college football. They never gave me knee pain, and we would lift far heavier than most recreational lifters. Of course, we were supervised by several strength coaches, so it's good that you got a BS recommended book to learn technique before you dove right in.

The only knee pain I experienced during the football years resulted from in-game/practice impact, not from lifting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 12:02am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved the format with the summary it was awesome. Nice work with the squats. I've just started mine as well ( did deads for about 6-8 months and just switched to squats). I haven't really got to the limits of my physical abilities with the squats. Not even close. I'm at 205 for 5 right now.