Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    199
    Style
    Shitoryu Karate and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh. I didn't know I had any more options for grappling actually. Then again, I rarely go past the first page of google (stupid laziness). But I've been wanting to get some work in BJJ or Judo for awhile now. I personally prefer standup striking, but I know at least being proficient in grappling would be very helpful. I'll definately look into those schools, and redouble my efforts to get some full contact sparring in my class once CC season's over.

    And if that fails, then I can just drag some friends over and go full contact with them. They don't mind.... generally.

  2. #22
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,324
    Style
    Ronin wannabe
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueKarateKid
    And if that fails, then I can just drag some friends over and go full contact with them. They don't mind.... generally.
    Haha...that would be far more fun than karate class, but generally it's also less safe, especially if things go wrong.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    314
    Style
    elbow smash
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueKarateKid
    Huh. I didn't know I had any more options for grappling actually. Then again, I rarely go past the first page of google (stupid laziness). But I've been wanting to get some work in BJJ or Judo for awhile now. I personally prefer standup striking, but I know at least being proficient in grappling would be very helpful. I'll definately look into those schools, and redouble my efforts to get some full contact sparring in my class once CC season's over.

    And if that fails, then I can just drag some friends over and go full contact with them. They don't mind.... generally.
    From everything you've said bjj seems to be your best bet. A lot of fights end up in some kind of clinch situation with one person trying to grab the other and force them to the ground. I would actually suggest judo, but prolonged practice of judo can have a negative impact on the knees.

    You really can't get much safer than that. I just don't see how it's possible. If you happen to find a way please let us know.

    If your parents ever get over their protectiveness of you, look up boxing so you have a good striking art to go along with your grappling. If not, keep your chin down, guard up, and watch some youtube videos on how to box.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    199
    Style
    Shitoryu Karate and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. I'll take all that advice except the boxing. In the few brawls I've had with my brother, my karate's served me just fine. I don't have a good build for boxing anyways. It doesn't seem like the point sparring I've been doing has screwed me over completely yet though, since sparring with my friends, they still react pretty effectively to my punches or kicks.

    I'm not dissing boxing, but I personally feel that there's nothing wrong with karate as a striking art, as long as you can get a good school.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    314
    Style
    elbow smash
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueKarateKid
    Lol. I'll take all that advice except the boxing. In the few brawls I've had with my brother, my karate's served me just fine. I don't have a good build for boxing anyways. It doesn't seem like the point sparring I've been doing has screwed me over completely yet though, since sparring with my friends, they still react pretty effectively to my punches or kicks.

    I'm not dissing boxing, but I personally feel that there's nothing wrong with karate as a striking art, as long as you can get a good school.
    Karate is fine, especially kyokushin. I mentioned boxing because risk of injury to legs is pretty much non existent. As long as you train with "aliveness" you'll be fine.

    Take a look at YouTube - Words of Wisdom PT 1 originally posted by ZenOfAnger.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in