Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:05pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sumo? Really?

I was at wrestling class last night, and a fellow came up to me and asked me my weight.

"ah about 83 kgs at the the moment," I replied.
    "Why?"

"How would you like to represent Australia as a lightweight in a Sumo championship this year?"

I was gobsmacked. Apparently it's in Lithuania, or Estonia or something. One of the bigger guys has competed in a recent tournament in New Zealand and placed third in his division. He'll be competing on the squad in Europe too.

I know absolutely nothing about Sumo, except for a rough idea of the rules (Please correct me if I'm wrong):
    * You can palm strike (to the body amateur level, anywhere as a professional)
    * Your objective is to push your opponent out of the ring
    * You can also win a match if you force your opponent to their knees, or if they touch the ground with their hand.
    * No leg attacks

That's about it.

For reference, I weigh 182.9 pounds according to Google's conversion. I've only been doing freestyle and greco wrestling for two months or so, but I've trained in shooto for about 8 years and Judo for the last two years. I took off nearly two years due to an injury before taking up judo.

Basically, as I said, I know f$%k all about Sumo, and I'm completely certain that I will get my ass handed to me, but on the plus side if I go for it, I get a trip to europe, and help the sport (THe australian federation is having trouble finding players it seems).

What do you think? Any tips/advice, humorous commentary, or info about Sumo?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be carefull and check more into this It smells like some sort of scam to get your money/personal information. Random dude offers you a chance to be on the national sumo team (when you know nothing about sumo), sounds fishey to me.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for it. By the time anyone realizes you don't know what the **** you're doing you'll already be in Europe and have hot sumo-loving europe chicks all over you.

Edit: After seeing, like Coffefan mentioned, it's not sponsered by some Nigerian prince.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or Indonesian banker (according to the latest spam **** I'm getting.)

OTH, imagine the opportunity of gut-slapping another man in diapers out of the ring. If it happens, that's good **** worthy of youtube.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:24pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CoffeeFan makes a very valid point, look into this more, sounds too much 'out of the blue' to be legit, but you never know.

Just don't go jumping in blind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:25pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seems a little suspect, you should contact the organization first

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:11pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I requested more information. I'll have a chat with the guy after training on Thursday.

The guy who approached me is an old Japanese guy. He's one of the coaches at the club, and he's sent one of the other wrestler in my club to a sumo tournament in New Zealand not long ago. His freestyle/greco wrestling credentials are definitely legit.

There's no monetary investment or remuneration on offer - apparently the Sumo association/federation/etc would cover the airfare and accommodation through some sort of sponsorship deal.

The association is apparently struggling to find competitors (particularly in the lower weight classes) so basically, they are looking to poach amateur wrestlers.

I'll post more specifically when I get more information about it.

And yeah, definitely would be Youtube worthy. I fully expect to get my ass handed to me, but I've got no problem with that. I regularly get dumped on my ass in Judo and wrestling anyway, without minding in the slightest.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might I suggest trying the open weight class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:21pm

Style: Pankration/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol @ nigerian banker...

i got one of those emails

sent them all my details and now im a BILLIONAIR

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:21pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    Might I suggest trying the open weight class?
    that might not end well
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast