is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    you're just trying to turn 'I'd like a challenge' into a diatribe about heavy-weight low rep training.
    You're obviously misreading my posts.

Your recommendation is simplistic and inaccurate.
    Prove it.

Edit: For a hint as to why your interpretation of my first post in this thread is incorrect, how many reps does the typical set of power cleans contain?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People don't generally do more than 5-6 reps training for power. What's your point? You think that's the only challenge out there? You think he can't improve his reps without gaining weight?
    Last edited by Cullion; 9/23/2008 4:23pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People don't generally do more than 5-6 reps training for power. What's your point?
    My point is that you read this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    So keep your intensity levels high and your sets short, and you shouldn't balloon up.
    ... and incorrectly assumed I was discouraging endurance work. What I was doing was replying to his post, in which he specifically asked about power cleans. It did not even enter my mind to say "you could also do really, really long sets of power cleans (>20 reps)". Usually when I throw hypotheticals like that into my posts, they just distract people from the main point.

Conversely, if he had asked about push-ups, I would have assumed he is capable of performing at least twenty consecutive push-ups, and my response would have included this instead of the above:

Typically, if you're doing more than twenty repetitions of an exercise, eventual failure will be from other causes (lactate threshold, general fatigue, etc.) and the aforementioned supercompensation won't take place. So if you can already crank out push-ups, you shouldn't balloon up.
    Or... if you had said push-ups, rather than one-armed push-ups and "harder bodyweight exercises" in your post, your recommendation of "high reps" would have meant something entirely different from what it wound up meaning. If he's already on the other end of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy with them, you and I would both need to re-evaluate our definition of "hard".

You think that's the only challenge out there? You think he can't improve his reps without gaining weight?
    Stop making bad assumptions.
    Stop caricaturing my posts.
    Start asking questions about things you're unclear about.
    Start paying attention.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not that I have any technical know-how with this stuff, but one point where I'm confused is how hypertrophy vs hyperplasia overlap (or not) with-say Glycogen phase of muscle effort.

I could be misunderstanding this, easily.

But I am enjoying the back and forth between you guys, its far more informative than "ninjer-death-touch" training.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point is that you read this:

... and incorrectly assumed I was discouraging endurance work. What I was doing was replying to his post, in which he specifically asked about power cleans. It did not even enter my mind to say "you could also do really, really long sets of power cleans (>20 reps)". Usually when I throw hypotheticals like that into my posts, they just distract people from the main point.

Conversely, if he had asked about push-ups, I would have assumed he is capable of performing at least twenty consecutive push-ups, and my response would have included this instead of the above:

Or... if you had said push-ups, rather than one-armed push-ups and "harder bodyweight exercises" in your post, your recommendation of "high reps" would have meant something entirely different from what it wound up meaning. If he's already on the other end of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy with them, you and I would both need to re-evaluate our definition of "hard".

Stop making bad assumptions.
    Stop caricaturing my posts.
    Start asking questions about things you're unclear about.
    Start paying attention.
    I've read your posts, but you haven't really read mine. My very first post was a link to technical guidance on power cleans, which I then followed with 'but why not try something else'. You then assumed I was giving advice on something which I wasn't, for a goal which was never stated, whilst talking about hypertrophy after ignoring the point about diet and other training.

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you haven't really read mine
    Yes, I have.

My very first post was a link to technical guidance on power cleans, which I then followed with 'but why not try something else'.
    And then you went on to recommend hard bodyweight exercises. One-armed push-ups in particular. If Q can do enough consecutive one-armed push-ups that he's clear of the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy range, I'd say the "challenge" is wearing thin.

You then assumed I was giving advice on something which I wasn't
    No. I've been quite careful to reply to what you've said, rather than some caricature I've built up of your claims.

whilst talking about hypertrophy after ignoring the point about diet and other training.
    I didn't "ignore" the point about diet. You're confused again.

Why should Q train in the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy range if he doesn't want sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? This applies especially if his diet is chosen to prevent mass gain.

If he wants endurance, he should choose his intensity level to train endurance, instead of choosing an intensity level that would cause sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and then preventing adaptations like mass gain with dietary restrictions.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And then you went on to recommend hard bodyweight exercises. One-armed push-ups in particular. If Q can do enough consecutive one-armed push-ups that he's clear of the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy range, I'd say the "challenge" is wearing thin.
    Emphasis added.

Why should Q train in the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy range if he doesn't want sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? This applies especially if his diet is chosen to prevent mass gain.
    Because he won't be doing it for long.

If he wants endurance, he should choose his intensity level to train endurance, instead of choosing an intensity level that would cause sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and then preventing adaptations like mass gain with dietary restrictions.
    The intensity level would be decreasing as he lost weight, remember.

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emphasis added.
    To illustrate what, exactly?

I've already given you **** for your other two replies in previous posts. Either you need to expand significantly on them or change your approach entirely, because those two answers simply do not address the issues in question.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes they do. How many pistols can you do?

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or one-handed pushups for that matter?

I <3 Sirc.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast