Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But how does that in anyway improve his strength to weight ratio? As far as I can see, his strength will diminish becacuse of the lack of strength training, and his weight will diminish if he eats a caloric deficit, but this does not mean an improvment.

There is no "progress through the reps" because the resistance is changing as well. If one day I squat 400lbs for a triple, and the next day cut the weight down to 325lbs for a set of 8, this isn't any indication of progress, because I have nothing to base it off of.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Sad state of affairs that if you were a smoker, they'd facilitate you getting breaks, but as a lifter? A big **** you.
    You know, my bosses are actually pretty accommodating all the way up the chain, and if we had a company gym with squat rack in house, we'd probably be able to work something out. Unfortunately, the gym we have access to isn't exactly made for serious lifting, and the closest squat rack (that I know of) is two kilometers away, so the overhead of traveling back and forth would add up in a real hurry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 5:06pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man this has really devolved into a played out into the oldest debate in the world. In some ways though, it really comes down to some simple truths.

If you want to get stronger, lift heavier weights.
    If you want to go for longer, do more reps.

If you want to put on weight, eat more.
    If you want to lose weight, eat less.

I personally do heavy weights, low reps (always 6 reps or below) and have drastically improved my strength to bodyweight ratio - tripling my pull up and push up reps, adding over 100 lbs to my deadlift, and losing almost 40 lbs in about 6-8 months.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 5:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    If you want to go for longer, do more reps.
    What's your opinion of high-intensity interval training?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    But how does that in anyway improve his strength to weight ratio? As far as I can see, his strength will diminish becacuse of the lack of strength training, and his weight will diminish if he eats a caloric deficit, but this does not mean an improvment.

There is no "progress through the reps" because the resistance is changing as well. If one day I squat 400lbs for a triple, and the next day cut the weight down to 325lbs for a set of 8, this isn't any indication of progress, because I have nothing to base it off of.
    Let's say I can do 5 pistols and 5 one handed pushups. I train for a while, and I can do 20.
    Let's say, for the sake of argument, I found that challenging.

During that period I lose weight (including some muscle mass), and my 1 mile run time improves. My max squat and bench numbers may decrease.

Would you say that my strength to weight ratio in those movements has improved?, or is it that you think that the outcome I describe is highly unlikely ? or is it that you don't think it would be challenging?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 5:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I train for a while
    Please provide more details about your training methodology.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd feel that strength to bodyweight ratio would increase not nearly as greatly as it would have if one followed a routine explicity designed for that purpose. It's a question of the right tool for the right job.

Also, it'd be hard to say if you improved because your strength improved, or if you improved because the resistance had decreased, unless I knew specifically what weight numbers we're dealing with here.

And again, it would involve spending a long period of time in a sub-optimal rep range while not eating correctly to facilitate any training benefit being in that rep range.

I just really don't see any redeeming qualities for training explicity in such a manner. I have no issue with incoperating said movements into a well rounded and organized routine, but I see no benefit in making them the focus of any routine.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011