Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 7:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn View Post
    Professor Duncan is an incredible martial artist and in all of my expierences a very kind man as well.

Professor Duncan is a Marine and during his enlistment was on the USMC Judo team.

One of his teachers that I know was Professor Ernie Cates (8th degree black belt in Kodokan Judo, 7th degree black belt in Taiho Jitsu (Police Tactics), 7th degree black belt in Goshin Jitsu (Self-Defense Tactics) who speaks highly of him.

He has trained in Hakko Ryu Jujitsu, Dai-nippon Jujitsu Ryu, Sosuishi Ryu, Kin Dai Gakko Ryu, Aikido, Aiki-Jujitsu, Kempo, Kobujitsu (weaponry), and Shinobino-jitsu.

Some of his instructors have also been Charlie Neal, Tatsuo Uzaki, and Don Draeger.

Professor Duncan's knowledge of "fighting folders" and their modern use is incredible.

I feel VERY lucky to have trained with Professor Duncan myself and can honestly say that I was absolutely blown away by his knowledge, ability and method of instruction. I only HATE that I will not be able to spend many more years training with him and greatly FEAR that all of his knowledge will not be passed in time.

If any one ever has the fortunate opportunity to train with this great legend they would be gravely mistaken not to jump at it with all humility!

Thank you Professor Duncan!
    Not too worry about a passing of his knowledge: he has two sons who are good martial artists stepped in the ways of Duncan and...Ronald is full of piss and vinegar... let the grim reaper try to come and take him.... Duncan would grab him by the groin and say "I call this grab the man by the nuts and twist technique!" haha.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NYC style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OniSan81 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of this Ronald Duncan? I started spotting him and his crew on Youtube. They have a school called Ways of the Winds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuubUrbanNinja

It's strange. Obviously not one of the main 3 orgs of Ninpo, but it has this weird Islam, pro black, slant, or so it seems. All guys are highly ranked in their org, all 7. 8. 9 degree black belts. Nothing what one would see as "Ninpo" technique. Just seems like a mix of styles, with teachers named like Shaabaz, and all sorts of other interesting names. Has a very cult like feel to it.

SuubUrbanNinja tells me that his teacher has all these accolades, apparently trained with Don Draeger etc. I don't know, the whole thing weirds me out. None of the guys can tell me who their teacher is.

Anyone have any information on them? I know we can debate Ninpo and its validity as a historical martial art period, I'm with the Genbukan, but I want to avoid that. Who is this Ronald Duncan, I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.
    Ronald Duncan is not a Muslim but that student is (he is a convert) and takes his religion seriously. HOWEVER before we get the wrong idea his school is open to everyone and he DOES NOT preach his religion to his students like the other christian ninjas did that Bullshido has a video of in the park.

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 9:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it is purely haphanstanz: Moses Powell's Sanuches Ryu has a similar dynamic. The African American community has a certain percentage of people who are Black Muslims... and not all muslims in the AA community are black muslims, but some are.

Now the fact of the matter is that Black Muslims as a group, culturally, are willing to resort to acts of self defense if need be, so naturally they are inclined to study martial arts. Therefore you have two statistics that make it appear as though there is a large Black Muslim contigency with Duncan (and Powell for that matter) the first is the number of African Americans who are black Muslims in the community and lets say that number is around 10%... BUt of that 10% I guarantee you that 90% will study martial arts, so, of the other 90% African Americans lets say that 5% study an martial art.... You see where I am going with this?

Basically even thou they are a minority in the black community a lot more black muslims will study martial arts and... chicago and new york has a large black muslim community. So it is actually quite natural for an African American martial artist of the caliber of Duncan to have a substantial number of black muslims as students. What is funny and not so apparent is that Duncan also has other muslims as students that people think are black muslims and are not! Ali Shabazz comes to mind, though don't quote me on that.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 10:15pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronald Duncan, like all the other goof fromt he early 80s, followed the Ninja boom.

I know a few guys that remember Duncan from the 70s, whre he competed alot in point karate. At the time he was a karate man. Then of course the ninja boom hit and all of a sudden he was a Ninja. Then as time moved on he was an Aikijutsu guy.

Total fraud.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 7:23am

Style: Shamar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    Ronald Duncan, like all the other goof fromt he early 80s, followed the Ninja boom.

I know a few guys that remember Duncan from the 70s, whre he competed alot in point karate. At the time he was a karate man. Then of course the ninja boom hit and all of a sudden he was a Ninja. Then as time moved on he was an Aikijutsu guy.

Total fraud.
    I would be very interested to see you back up this point. Posting such on a forum is far too easy to do in my opinion.

How about this, why don't you (since you live relatively close to Ronald Duncan's location) set up a time to go and train with him or at least take a class and video tape it.

Provided you sign the proper "release forms" I am sure there would not be any objection, although I can not speak for anyone here (I am just assuming based on my encounters with the man).

And then, you can upload what happens in your "fraud" (as you put it) investigation and we all can see the brilliance or lack in your post.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:18am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no clue what his credentials are or if they are valid, but what I will say is that after all the ninja bullshit he has put out there (and keeps putting out by the looks of it), it's extremely hard to take anything this guy says or does seriously.
    <insert witty comment>

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 3:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    I have no clue what his credentials are or if they are valid, but what I will say is that after all the ninja bullshit he has put out there (and keeps putting out by the looks of it), it's extremely hard to take anything this guy says or does seriously.
    yes his tapes are awful... yet his students are awesome. I don't see much in him either, yet one of his main guys is my main teacher and I ahve seen many of his guys and they are no joke. Also, he has taken many people up on their challenges... many of us when we were younger have as well. And many Marines have said that Ronald Duncan taught them a lesson and that "at least it was by another Marine." haha

I donlt know what to say about his tapes. I have commented before on it and frankly his improvised weaponry series on U tube makes me want to read the acquier thread... if yu catch my drift haha.

Take this for what its worth.... Nobody knows why Duncan puts out shitty tapes, nobody and everybody is aware that he does.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:57pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    yes his tapes are awful... yet his students are awesome. I don't see much in him either, yet one of his main guys is my main teacher and I ahve seen many of his guys and they are no joke. Also, he has taken many people up on their challenges... many of us when we were younger have as well. And many Marines have said that Ronald Duncan taught them a lesson and that "at least it was by another Marine." haha
    You do realize that none of what you've said here means anything right? It's a bunch of hearsay and the type of stories that typically surround bullshit. What are his real ranks and accomplishments? Who are these "tough" students you keep talking about and what are their accomplishments?
    <insert witty comment>

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 12:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Technically, Yes.
    BUT, as you can see in the video below, You don't see the person release the arrow and it wasn't fired at him. Also it seems the arrow was traveling rather slow.
    It's an old trick to use a special type of arrow, I forget what they're called, that creates a bunch of drag to slow down the arrow as it travels to make these demos possible.

Otherwise, all I have to contribute is that I met him a few times as a young kid (he used to shoot at the same range in Queens that my parents did) and he was super-nice. I seriously doubt his Ninjutsu lineage is legit, but that's practically a positive in my book.

P.S. Actually not true, one more thing: keep in mind that a lot of TMA (or pseudo-TMA) back when used shitloads upon shitloads of choreographed self-defense drills. Some of them only did that and sucked, while some of them also did randori as well and could really fight despite the fact that a decent chunk of their training was a basically a bunch of wasted effort (Vee-jitsu springs to mind).

So, I would hardly rush to go train under the guy, but I wouldn't conclude he sucks purely based on his shitty demo videos either. He's a throwback to the 70s/80s MA scene, much like some of my former teachers whom involved me in a couple of awful-looking demos themselves. IMO to their mind it looks good/flashy and they think it will will drum up interest/students, probably not realizing that young people today who have grown up on UFC don't need to be sold on MA in this way.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/17/2009 12:59am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NYC style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    You do realize that none of what you've said here means anything right? It's a bunch of hearsay and the type of stories that typically surround bullshit. What are his real ranks and accomplishments? Who are these "tough" students you keep talking about and what are their accomplishments?
    Well he was in some sort of all marine judo team so umm whoever in the military in this forum and knows how to get that info can help verify that. I know personally he DID study with Ernie Cates (I DIRECTLY heard it from Cates) You can research Ernie Cates as far as my evidence well I heard it directly and do not have it recorded. But you do have interviews of Cate's where he says Duncan studied under him. You can research who Cates is and similarly those in the military MAYBE able to look him up.

As far as the point sparring goes, I dunno.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast