Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 2:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    *Pimp *****
    Macho Man has power cleaned the correct.

Martial arts are great...but with your current set-up, you're inches away from being destitute.

Create a solid financial foundation, squirrel away some money, focus on your career/education...then worry about martial arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 9:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What they said. I can afford what I do because I'm 28 and have a family business. Get settled first. Training is an expensive hobby no matter how you choose to pay for it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 10:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't care i'm doin this, even if i have to learn from the internet vids
    i know what u guys r saying and i now know the risks, but i don't think i'm gonna finish college in the next couple years
    thanks for answering me

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 3:09pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in college? I know the university in my home town has a jujitsu club (almost makes me wish I went there) and I started a MMA club at my college. Joining any sorts of school martial arts clubs that may exist may be a good idea just for the sake of making friends in the sport who can help you out. I know ALL the striking instruction I've gotten was from one of my best friends, and I've still gotten the occasional compliment on it.

My club used to run free open mat, and that was a godsend. I met a BJJ black belt there who took to pretty much giving me 45 min free lessons every saturday just because he seemed to like me (I think he found it amusing how far up my ass my head is).

My point was that I've found the best thing you can do if you're poor is make a lot of friends. Not everyone is into MA for money
    Last edited by Kyduh; 9/22/2008 3:12pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea im in college but the ma class r tai chi, eskrima, tkd, and boxing for fitness lol
    i took tkd but the people there were LAME: hands down, super loud kiai's, no bagwork, no contact, and n just 6 months u get your yellow belt based on doin forms

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quit the day job, quit school, train until you collapse, and find an instructor thats willing to put your lazy jiujitsu bum ass in a storage closet for a couple years. If its really all that serious, make the fucking sacrifice and go with it.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geffcardo
    yea im in college but the ma class r tai chi, eskrima, tkd, and boxing for fitness lol
    i took tkd but the people there were LAME: hands down, super loud kiai's, no bagwork, no contact, and n just 6 months u get your yellow belt based on doin forms
    If you are in college, at least make some effort to properly write, spell, punctuate and capitalize your words accordingly. You are not a "ZOMG!!! HANNA MONTANA" teen "texting" from your phone dude. It is both demeaning to the posters you are seeking advice from as well as removes any seriousness from the questions you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxThunderstone
    Quit the day job, quit school, train until you collapse, and find an instructor thats willing to put your lazy jiujitsu bum ass in a storage closet for a couple years. If its really all that serious, make the fucking sacrifice and go with it.
    What he said. If it's really that serious, if you really want it so bad despite your current financial shortcomings and educational obligations, go all the way. Do **** right or don't do it at all.

-- super edit --

Ok, I think I need to clarify the last part of my post. There are people who are in college, have a job and manage to train full-time or part-time successfully.

Having said that, if you have financial debts (which is the impression I got from your previous posts), financial debts other than student loans (because you don't have to worry about them until you graduate), then your obligations are in paying those first. You own that money and you ought to NOT put yourself in a situation where you cannot pay the people you own in a timely manner.

Get solvent first, develop a montly budget that covers your expenses (food, transportation, rent, whatever), and get into the habit of having some sort of financial cushion in case you get injured and cannot work.

Making sacrifices to train while on college and with no money is one thing. Trying to do that (be it martial arts or whatever else that requires commitment and carries a risk of injury) on top of having debts, that's a bad move dude.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 9/23/2008 8:10am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 12:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geff, if you are strapped for cash, dying to train and want a solid grappling foundation, the answer is simple.

TRAIN JUDO

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 12:18pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    Geff, if you are strapped for cash, dying to train and want a solid grappling foundation, the answer is simple.

TRAIN JUDO
    Couldn't agree more. Many judo clubs are non-profit, have no up-front registration fees, and allow you to pay cash on a monthly basis with no contract. From my experience tournament registration fees are generally cheaper as well. So are the gis. Given the OP's currently financial situation registration fees and long-term contracts would be foolish. It my seem a little cheeseball but he should also read this book The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, & Broke

http://www.amazon.com/Money-Book-You...2189990&sr=8-1

Lastly he should really consider whether or not he should do it at all. We all love fighting, but when it comes right down to it training is a luxury that requires a considerable amount of free time and disposable income.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 1:31pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geffcardo
    eskrima
    WOW.
    How does that even have enough interest to stay afloat?

Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    TRAIN JUDO
    :love5:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast