Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2008 12:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

does anybody go through what i go through?

ive been wanting to do jiu jitsu for a long time now, but i cant afford it
    ive been doin judo but being thrown all the time has kind of injured me so i want to switch to bjj.
    i work but its not enough to pay for classes cuz i have bills and college and i don't have a bank account
    there are 3 places in my area, west coast jj, paragon bjj, and gracie barra ventura and since i dont have a bank account i have to pay in cash upfront
    west coast fees are 65 for registration and 150 month to month or 100 for a year contract.
    paragon charges 1500 upfront for a year with gi, i dont know if they have a registration fee or not
    i went to gracie barra and they offered me a contract for 6 months for 1100 for gi, registration and classes upfront.

is there any advice i can get on what school i should go to?
    i only spend about 500 cuz thats most of my entire savings

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/19/2008 6:06am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a bank account, put the money in it and then pay monthly charges.

If you pay for a year up front and then get injured/move away etc, you've spunked over a grand
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2008 10:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a month to month gym. Mine is taught by a black belt, small classes, lots of personal attention. $55 a month for 1 day a week, $85 for 2, $110 for 3.

By "day", instead of "class", you can show up and do the MMA and BJJ classes back to back without paying extra. It's pretty nice. My gi is cheap, cost $50, and has held up perfectly for a year and a half with no sign of wear other than the dirty lapels that won't turn back to bright white no matter how many times its washed.

All told, with supplements, gym fees, extra gear, etc, etc, I spend about $1500 a year. I just don't pay it all at once, which makes it perfectly managable.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/19/2008 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe you're close to Omega's school Contact him

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW 85 bux for two days a week
    yea i am thinking about doin the bank account thing but i don't make a lot of money so im kind of afraid that if i lose my job or run out of money in the bank there will be massive consequences
    i want to pay month to month but in cash, i dont really trust banks
    who is omega?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 2:02am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm insulted.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 2:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got a PM btw.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geffcardo
    yea i am thinking about doin the bank account thing but i don't make a lot of money so im kind of afraid that if i lose my job or run out of money in the bank there will be massive consequences
    i want to pay month to month but in cash, i dont really trust banks
    who is omega?
    I've known most people who don't trust banks, but the reason they don't is because they don't understand how a checking account works. There are lots of places that let you open a bank account for $50 and don't charge monthly maintenance fees. Just make sure you keep tabs of your balance and don't overdraw your account; that's when banks can get a lot of money off you.

Oh yea, contact Omega

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive been wanting to do jiu jitsu for a long time now, but i cant afford it.
    So if you can't afford it, why looking for it? Instead focus on managing/improving your finances and perhaps reconsider your priorities. Trying to take on a hobby that is beyond your means is not a good thing to do, not unless you are willing to make some tremendous sacrifices.

ive been doin judo but being thrown all the time has kind of injured me so i want to switch to bjj.
    Do you have medical insurance?

i work but its not enough to pay for classes cuz i have bills and college
    Instead of trying to add yet another expense (bjj), focus on being solvent with your bills and finish college AND THEN do bjj (or whatever expensive hobby you'd like to pursue). Or drop college... or default on your bills. You can't get yet another expense when your finances are stretched, have no bank account, have bills and go to college to top it off.

and i don't have a bank account
    Get one. There is no sane excuse to not have one. It's the adult thing to do.

there are 3 places in my area, west coast jj, paragon bjj, and gracie barra ventura and since i dont have a bank account i have to pay in cash upfront
    west coast fees are 65 for registration and 150 month to month or 100 for a year contract.
    paragon charges 1500 upfront for a year with gi, i dont know if they have a registration fee or not
    i went to gracie barra and they offered me a contract for 6 months for 1100 for gi, registration and classes upfront.

is there any advice i can get on what school i should go to?
    i only spend about 500 cuz thats most of my entire savings
    Do you have medical insurance? If you get injured and cannot work, what will you do? What will happen to your little savings? Your bills? Your school?

Maybe I'm understanding your situation the wrong way, but I think you are trying to do too many things at once. Again, get your priorities straight, become financially solvent, finish school and then engage in bjj.

BJJ is not cheap, it's somewhat expensive. That means that for most, it requires them to have a certain financial level or be willing to make extreme sacrifices.

What do you mean by that? Very affordable? Very expensive? I think it's very affordable.

i want to pay month to month but in cash
    I'm sure you can talk to a school and see if you can get some sort of arrangement. I've know young guys who train at a discount in exchange of services such as cleaning the mats, do paperwork for the school and such. This is a great way of getting training for those who cannot fully afford it.

However, it also requires some sort of commitment from you. And I think, based on the information I can gather from your post (and I could be 100% wrong about you) is that you are trying to live well beyond your means. Too many responsibilities (bills, college), you have another job already (which is your responsibility to fullfill for as long as you get paid for it), you are barely scrapping some savings and I doubt you have a budget.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck regardless.

i dont really trust banks
    Sorry dude, this is retarded. Unless you have more than 100K saved in one single bank (with the way the economy is going), there is nothing wrong with having a bank account. In fact, it is the responsible, mature thing to do. It forces you to have a budget, and to live by it. Having a bank account, and using it correctly is the starting point for living responsibly within one's financial means.

You are depriving yourself of a fundamental, necessary tool to live in today's world.

who is omega?
    A professional fighter and instructor that owns his own school. I strongly recommend you hear his advice.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While hanging out in the Physical Training forum, I've heard from quite a few guys who come in with various injuries, some of which could potentially be very serious. The automatic answer is "see a doctor", and the usual reply is "I don't have medical insurance".

I don't want to tell you not to train, because training is awesome, but make sure it's not the end of the world if you do get hurt. Do you have insurance through your college?

Edit: TEM beat me to it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast