Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    karate,kickbox,jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got a Weird Problem

Ok so I love training, I love learning. the thing is (it's probably retarded) I dont let my hands go! I feel bad about hitting people. This seems weird to me. Has anybody else had a problem with harming another person. I dont know I just dont enjoy hurting people. At this point I am seeing this as a weakness. Am I right. I have my sparring partners telling me to let go. They see that I have the shot and for me knowing that I saw it and could have taken it is learning. I dont want to take away from someone else's workout but it just doesnt sit right with me at the moment to hit people. Am I in the wrong sport or is this something that is commonly seen?

Style
    chinese boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have to hit hard. It's just sparring. You have gloves on. You're not being nice, you're cheating your sparring partner. So, in trying to be nice, you're being a dick. Stop being a dick, AND HIT THE GUY!

Style
    karate,kickbox,jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    You don't have to hit hard. It's just sparring. You have gloves on. You're not being nice, you're cheating your sparring partner. So, in trying to be nice, you're being a dick. Stop being a dick, AND HIT THE GUY!
    understood. i have to go at it with that mind state. also i was told that you will fight how you practice and when i have to really defend myself i dont want to hold back. Frank what is your thought process during a sparring session? are you thinking about anything? counting out your combos? i find myself totally zoned out. I know I know I need a lot of work but I'll get there!

Style
    Chinese Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by studentoftheart
    Ok so I love training, I love learning. the thing is (it's probably retarded) I dont let my hands go! I feel bad about hitting people. This seems weird to me. Has anybody else had a problem with harming another person. I dont know I just dont enjoy hurting people. At this point I am seeing this as a weakness. Am I right. I have my sparring partners telling me to let go. They see that I have the shot and for me knowing that I saw it and could have taken it is learning. I dont want to take away from someone else's workout but it just doesnt sit right with me at the moment to hit people. Am I in the wrong sport or is this something that is commonly seen?
    Take the shot but don't hit hard but hit until you get used to it. Let your brain get used to the fact that it's okay to hit someone. As you get used to it, start hitting harder.

Style
    chinese boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It just takes practice. You'll get used to it.

Style
    karate,kickbox,jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Take the shot but don't hit hard but hit until you get used to it. Let your brain get used to the fact that it's okay to hit someone. As you get used to it, start hitting harder.
    great advice thanks mano. do you have any input on the thinking process while sparring. i want to say i should be thinking about form and positioning but i'd be lying if i said that i do.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They see that I have the shot and for me knowing that I saw it and could have taken it is learning.
    This is a detriment to you and your partner.

For You:
    Knowing and doing are two different things. I have had "shots" lined up perfect only to find out, usually in the form of a technique, this isn't the case. That shot you both acknowledge may not have landed or it may have. Why not be sure and execute? In other words you may build up a false sense of confidence. I've seen it and I experienced it for a short while.

For your partner:

The person doesn't get to test their reactions. Yes, maybe it would have landed but, maybe they would have dodged? Maybe their counter would have defeated your "acknowledged shot?" Maybe you were out of reach?

You throw it, you eliminate most doubt and variables.

Style
    karate,kickbox,jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    This is a detriment to you and your partner.

For You:
    Knowing and doing are two different things. I have had "shots" lined up perfect only to find out, usually in the form of a technique, this isn't the case. That shot you both acknowledge may not have landed or it may have. Why not be sure and execute? In other words you may build up a false sense of confidence. I've seen it and I experienced it for a short while.

For your partner:

The person doesn't get to test their reactions. Yes, maybe it would have landed but, maybe they would have dodged? Maybe their counter would have defeated your "acknowledged shot?" Maybe you were out of reach?

You throw it, you eliminate most doubt and variables.
    damn good point. i cant lie now i feel worst for not hitting the guys. lol i see that there is more to be learned on both sides by executing.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is all a part of learning. Very few people, if any, are natural fighters. Even those need to be trained, they just understand/execute things faster IMO.

Anyone, in a legit school, expects to get hit. That is why you train, to learn how to take, give, and slip attacks.

Style
    karate,kickbox,jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys i really see it in a different light. i'm doing no favors by not executing. i do feel that every minute that i spar i learn something new and i dont want to rob from my education or a team mates

Page 1 of 3 123 Last