Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 12:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A little PT advice for MMA fighters

For people who train MMA, or at least train in an 'alive' style fairly regularly (3-4 days a week);

When do you do your weight training?
    Sometimes I feel certain muscles like shoulders, back and legs get so tired from jujitsu/mma/muay thai training that it seems like at this point I might be just burning muscle by working them hard on my off days. What do you do?

I have heard of people that only do weights 1-2 days per week when doing extensive MA training. Right now I'm eating a shitload, train 4-5 days per week MA and lift weights either before/after class or on my off days, but I am not gaining alot of mass, which is my goal. Is it futile with all the cardio I'm doing? I'm pretty ripped, but I've always wanted to be bigger. Maybe it's just not my body type- I dunno.

I do alternate my excercises- chest, triceps one day. Back, shoulders, biceps, lats, etc. the next. I also alternate legs and abs to evey other weight day, I usually rest once a week, but I find myself doing little sit ups or calf raises or something on that day anyways-maybe that's my problem. Oh, also I have noticed some people alternate doing incline and flat bench presses to different days. Is there a reason for this?

Any advice on what you guys do, how often you rest, and advice on gaining mass will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Z
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 12:47pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check the PT stickies before Teh El Macho eats you for breakfast...providing you are mostly made up of lean meat.

but as a quick note

i do heavy lifting one to two days a week and currently train in bjj 5x a week.

my uneducated guess is that you just arent eating enough. with all of the cardio you are doing it sounds like you are expending all of your cals on that. You may also need to up your protein intake. Read up on the stickies and I think most of your questions will be answered. There is alot of great info concerning diet and mma strength training. Enjoy.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61712
    Last edited by dinnerpig; 9/17/2008 12:54pm at .

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, I have read the stickies in the past, I just was asking as kind of a survey this time to see what everyone else does.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train something like 11 times a week (two-a-days monday-friday). Only one of those is weight training. I never do it before training. That just hurts you weight training and your MMA training. Here's my super special work out routine: squats, bench press, deadlifts 5 sets of 5 reps each. I take the next day off for rest. I've gained a good amount of strength and some weight, but I don't have trouble gaining mass and it's not my goal anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    back before i got hurted i used to train 2-3 hours a day mon-fri, 4 hours on sats and hit the track on sundays. i trained in no gi/boxing/muay thai/krav maga. on top of that - i was lifting heavy 3x a week. DUMB! dont go my route. don't over train and keep your lifting to 1-2x a week if you are training as much as you say you are. deffo give yourself a full day of rest. i am a product of over training. it's not something you want to be.

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right. I definetely don't want to be a cute anime chick with a back injury.

Thanks. That's what I've been feeling, that it's too much.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    You're right. I definetely don't want to be a cute anime chick with a back injury.

Thanks. That's what I've been feeling, that it's too much.
    I do my biggest heavy lifts (deadlifts, etc) on one of my non-class days, and the rest of my lifts after class.

But if you're not gaining size, it's because you're not eating enough, not because of when you're lifting.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuckin A, I guess your right. I'm 6'0 tall, recently I went from 153 up to 160Ibs, and it's taken me eating at least 3,000 cals daily to get up here. Now that I'm here though, I'm just maintaining.

Is it safe to up it another 500/1000 cals? Watchu think? I don't wanna get a big ol' gut or anything.

Thanks for the help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 6:25pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Fuckin A, I guess your right. I'm 6'0 tall, recently I went from 153 up to 160Ibs, and it's taken me eating at least 3,000 cals daily to get up here. Now that I'm here though, I'm just maintaining.

Is it safe to up it another 500/1000 cals? Watchu think? I don't wanna get a big ol' gut or anything.

Thanks for the help.
    3000 cals is nothing. You can stand to add up it another 2000 calories with the workload you are doing. Fat is far easier to lose than muscle is to gain.

You must prioritize. Either getting bigger or cutting fat. If you try to hedge your bets you will get no where.

I realized this a couple of months ago and have worked my way up to drinking a gallon of whole milk a day on top of a general increase in food. I have put on a stone in 2 months and seen the best strength increases of my life. Hell on some days when I'm a little shy of calories I knock back a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. (I'm on a variant of the rips beginners program)

Food is your friend when you want to get bigger/stronger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2008 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eat more and look into yoga - especially bikram yoga. I know alot of grapplers and mma ammy fighters who have taken up bikram yoga to help relax their aching muscles and to improve their flexibility. Bikram is no joke but it does do wonders for the body. i've done it and me likey.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast