Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2008 3:43pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Ok, I am a gullible hippie and this sounds awesome to me.

For 80 bucks these shoes better last me a couple years though... they don't look like they would stand up to much wear and tear.
    I went through my first pair in 9 months. They tore up from washing, not usage though. The rubber started seperating after attempting a Sanitary level wash. My recommendation is to use Cold only to wash them. They do need to be washed frequently - no socks, lots of athletic endeavors = stinky FFS.

But - chicks dig these shoes. Seriously. Especially hippy chicks.

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 2:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    not the best endorsement, but i like the shoes anyway.

it is true though. i brought them to work and every girl there not only thought they were awesome, but wanted a pair. i need to get mine back real fucking soon.
    :new_all_c

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    I went through my first pair in 9 months. They tore up from washing, not usage though. The rubber started seperating after attempting a Sanitary level wash. My recommendation is to use Cold only to wash them. They do need to be washed frequently - no socks, lots of athletic endeavors = stinky FFS.

Hmmm.... I dunno about you, but these are very useful :tongue3:

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?cp=U...US&co=US&la=EN

I mean, I'm talking out of my ass because I've never owned a pair of those, but I'd imagine one could also use similar techniques for preserving sports shoes:

1. stuff them with newspaper when not in use
    2. pour sodium bicarbonate inside them when dry (helps kills odor and minimizes fungus and bacteria.)
    3. use a toothbrush to manually wash them from the inside regularly instead of throwing them inside the washer.

Just sayin' brother ^_^
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy fucking ****, actually, I'm really talking out of my ass. There is no freaking way to use a pair of socks with vibrams. Like uber-duper self-pwning duh!!! :eusa_doh:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So before I launch into my progress update/programming log, a few points to address-

1. FUCKING EPIC POST, JHEMSLEY. Many thanks for your response. And again, thanks to everyone who replied. This website is a definitive example of what makes the internet great.

2. You can indeed wear socks in them. They just have to be Injinjis. They're for sale on the Vibram website, at REI, and at other places online. The awesome part about them is that they have no seam, and so double as a good running shoe even if you aren't wearing five fingers.

3. Chicks like these shoes. I went into a hippie tea house the other day (they call it a chai house. god damn them all) and two females not only expressed interest in the shoe, they expressed interest in ME! AND MY SCHEDULE! AND I THINK THEY'RE BISEXUAL! BUY THESE FUCKING SHOES.

4. Yes, my feet are visibly changing shape. Which is cool, because it means progress, but also bad. For the last few years I've worn generally narrow shoes- Adidas sambas etc. So now my feet are starting to splay out more and I can't wear them for fear of limiting my feetses' adaptation. I don't want to buy more shoes- I have 3 pairs now. Soon I'll have like 5 or 6 and I'll be driving a pink miata or some ****.

On to the update.

As stated, I began running short distances after my regular runs. For me, this was generally a 3-5 mile run to one of two large(200-500 acres) parks, followed by between a half mile to one mile with the Vibrams, so a tenth to about a fifth of regular distance. I would definitely limit yourself on distance when you start running with these. If you are not used to sprinting, don't run. Do a light jog. Crawl, walk, run and all that.

So far I've been doing this 2-3 times a week. I've been on 7 or 8 runs total and have been wearing them pretty much everywhere.

Progress is notable, mostly in the decreased amount of jarring experienced on footfall and the continually decreasing amount of soreness in the feet post run. As stated above, my toes are becoming more splayed out- I am curious as to how the continuous widening of my foot will affect swimming. Interestingly, I have not experienced any uncomfortable sensation in my knees or shins, which I was anticipating.

On a side note, the different running route is awesome. The combination of the flora and the endorphins from running make for a really enjoyable experience. Dopamine city.

Will post more as situations develope.

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 2:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My feet already do that, so buying shoes is a major pain in the foot. I think that's one reason why i love the vibrams so much.
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 3:28pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't even think about the swimming... it's hard to tell if that would help or hinder. Widening is good, but so is not letting water get through... when you cup your hand to pull the water for example, you do tend to 'cup' it rather than splay the fingers apart as big as possible...

But widenable toes doesn't mean you HAVE to have them apart, since you swim barefoot you could still bring the toes together if that were the more efficient way to swim.

In general, wearing odd-looking things shows confidence and independant thinking (sometimes) so some people can appreciate that an show interest, like hippy chicks. Other chicks will not like them and want someone who wears uniform-type dress shoes. I don't tend to like those ones so scaring them off is a plus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2008 7:38am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.barefootscience.com/usa/

I've been wearing these for a year. It's a 7 stage progression insert. You reach the largest insert 7 weeks into it.

Seems to be the best of both worlds, foot strengthening, and normal shoes. They've helped the numbness I experienced in my big toes, and I can stand on my feet a lot longer without discomfort.

But I think most of these type products are mind over matter. I wanted it to work, so it did. Probably same with these 5-finger shoes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 1:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishgod
    Chicks like these shoes. I went into a hippie tea house the other day (they call it a chai house. god damn them all) and two females not only expressed interest in the shoe, they expressed interest in ME! AND MY SCHEDULE! AND I THINK THEY'RE BISEXUAL! BUY THESE FUCKING SHOES.
    If they ask what they are like to wear, tell them you can feel the earth.

I said that, not meaning anything metaphysical or mystic, just that when you wear these shoes, you actually can feel the earth - the grooves, bumps and contours as well as the temperature changes.

Saying it made the hippy chick I was talking to look at me like I was the Dali Lama. Explaining what I actually meant only intesified her interest. It was as if the statement lost none of its mystical power by bringing it into the physical world.

Also, woman that you would never guess were anything but uptight will walk up and start talking to you asking about them. They are definitely conversation starters.

But act now - the more people who wear them, the less effective they will be.

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 12:39pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another two cents:

I've been working out/doing outdoor sport in these things for 1.5 years. The enthusiasm shown in this post has in no way waned. They've helped me to recover from a long-term ankle injury, improve my running form (definitely check out some barefoot running instructionals online), and -- **** you not -- increase my heel-drive while doing overhead squats.

:thumbsup:
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast