Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 9:00pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gandp1120
    That would be the profit. If you have any clue on how Louisiana is run you gotta know that there a back hand deals in every event. As far as the ringgirls, ringside physican, staff and security. Well you give anyone good seats and they will just about do anything.
    Ah, ok. I'm honestly completely ignorant of your scene in Lousiana. I work in Virginia. The sanctioning body I work with also works hand-in-hand with the State Athletic Commission, so we really keep everything on the up-n-up. Mind you, there are a number of people we are able to cut deals with for their services in exchange for a few seats, but it evens out because the seats you "give away" are seats you end up not being able to sell to someone, ya know?

The group I work with doesn't get involved in paying anyone "under the table". That's just shady business.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 7:52am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an amateur fighter, the only thing that I think should be required is that the promoter take care of all medical injuries as a result of the match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 1:07pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shadowdean... the way that works in the State of Virginia is this....

By Law, all participants in amateur sports (not just combat sports) are required to have PERSONAL medical coverage up to $10,000. After that, it is my understanding that it is up to the individual promoters whether or not they will insure above that amount. The sanctioning organization I work with, the Global Combat Alliance (GCA) requires the promoters have proof of supplemental insurance beyond that amount up to 1 million dollars. As a promoter, I purchase my insurance through the GCA to make sure everything is done properly.

We've been very fortunate to date that no participant in any of my events has needed medical attention beyond help with a very bloody nose. That being said, I know that the "Law of Averages" will eventually catch up to me and someone will get hurt one day. I'm quite comfortable and confident with the system we have in place.

I also make a point to advise all participants of the State Regulations regarding personal and supplemental insurance well ahead of our event. As a competitor, I can tell you that no promoter EVER took the time to discuss ANYTHING regarding medical coverange/insurance with me or my coaches. I think this is a HUGE disservice! I want to make sure that everyone who participates in my events knows what they're getting themselves into BEFORE they step into the ring!

Many fighters & coaches are simply too focused on preparation for competing in the event and winning their fight! They are not "planning" for an injury.... Many times they mistakenly assume that it is the promoters responsibility to cover any medical fees incurred. Well, if that were the case, you wouldn't have to sign a waiver now, would you? :)

(sorry, this isn't really a subject to joke around about)

Anyway, back to the point.... The bottom line is that in many events, promoters are NOT responsible to cover your medical fees. I volunteer the information to all participants because I want everyone to be fully aware of where their responsibilities begin and end, and where my responsibilities as the promoter begin and end..... and to be 100% honest, I do not know of any other promoter who does this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 1:17pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you could keep the amateur/pro division if there was a codified statement as to what the terms "amateur" and "pro" really mean (at least in the context of Kickboxing and MMA/NHB style events.)

ie X can choose to fight as a pro and receive monetary profits from fighting as a pro if X has Y fights with Z win percentage.
    Q can receive reimbursement, as an amateur, for travel, lodging, and meals, but no monetary profits, if Q has V fights with U win percentage.
    Etc.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 1:25pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pro = money
    amma = no money
    is it that hard?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 1:42pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdean
    Pro = money
    amma = no money
    is it that hard?
    What if you comp his/her buddies' tickets, is he/she a pro then? What if you comp a hotdog for him/her after the fight? Does he/she receive benefit outside of just experience? What if you cover him/her for $x of insurance? What if you don't do anything like that and your event dies because you can't fill the undercard? Those are the types of things that need to be answered for newer combat sports to take hold (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just really want to see MMA, Kickboxing, Pankration, etc take off and for everyone who wants to participate to be able to.)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvjim
    I think you could keep the amateur/pro division if there was a codified statement as to what the terms "amateur" and "pro" really mean (at least in the context of Kickboxing and MMA/NHB style events.)

ie X can choose to fight as a pro and receive monetary profits from fighting as a pro if X has Y fights with Z win percentage.
    Q can receive reimbursement, as an amateur, for travel, lodging, and meals, but no monetary profits, if Q has V fights with U win percentage.
    Etc.
    If everyone was forced to be amateur before a certain amount of fights and then forced to go pro after a certain amount of fights, that would be a lot better than what we have. What it's like now is we have fighters with tons of fights staying amateur and beginners fighting pro for their first fight because a.) bad management, or b.) amateur fighting does not exist where they live. Unfortunately we have tons of different promoters using tons of different sanctioning bodies in states with different regulations on combat sports. We also have things like people who participate in both amateur boxing and another combat sport (kickboxing/MMA) and if you fight professionally in the other sport you can lose your amateur status as a boxer which disqualifies you from a whole spectrum of competition (like the Olympics for instance).

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly, Delaware currently revamped their MMA laws and introduced a "Novice" class. Where anyone with 3 or less wins stays, then they move up to Amateur and Pro choices.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345