Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 8:00pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Well, what else is in the lower part of your body? Yep, your legs. Anything from the hips down. :tongue3: This is explained somewhere in the stickies btw.

And don't worry about the saturated fats and all that ****. Work hard and it will work itself out. If you were overweight, then that would be an issue, but you are not. If you are concerned with whole milk, then use skim milk.

As SunTzu said, you needs fats, cholesterol for your body to manufacture steroids hormones. In fact, you need fats.

The problem is that people nowadays do not earn the calories they ingest. That's why all the precautions and warnings around fats become necessary... for those people that are overweight. You are not one of them.
    Thanks for that, i like the idea of earning your calaries. I also listen to my favourite bodybuilder Tom Platz' maxim, which is Think Mass, Eat Mass, Train Mass.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can try soy protein instead of whey protein, it's comparable now days.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh oh.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    You can try soy protein instead of whey protein, it's comparable now days.
    I looked back over this thread for any reference to whey or soy, and couldn't find any. Could you go into more detail as to why you'd recommend one over the other in this context?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    I looked back over this thread for any reference to whey or soy, and couldn't find any. Could you go into more detail as to why you'd recommend one over the other in this context?
    Whey protein is protein derived from milk. It's regarded as the best protein by most bodybuilders. It's fast digesting so it's good to have some just before, and especially just after a workout. Most bodybuilders drink whey when they wake up in the morning, before a workout, and after a workout. It's important to eat some fast-digesting carbs with the protein to make sure your body actually utilizes the protein instead of just burning it off for energy.

Another protein derived from milk is Casein, it digest slowly and bodybuilders drink this before they go to sleep in order to keep protein available to the body throughout the night.

Since these are dairy derivatives they do contain saturated fat and cholesterol.

The proteins come in isolate and concentrate forms, these mainly represent purity. Isolate is a higher quality, concentrate is cheaper, both are better than nothing.

Soy proteins I know little about, but I read a few articles in a body building magazine saying that the claims that they raise estrogen levels to a point that they would have a negative impact were false. Soy beans are the only plant in the world that contains the same spread of amino acids(building blocks of muscle) as meat. They are higher and lower in some amino acids than meat, but you can still get them all.

My --guess-- is that with Soy being a plant derivative, saturated fat would be nil and any cholesterol would be the good, heart-healthy kind. I havent done alot of research on soy beyond finding out that it is in fact not bad for you. If you decide to take it I encourage you to research it yourself. Although for the sake of a pro-soy argument I googled "soy protein saturated fat" and it came back with this quote in one of the first links.

"On October 26, 1999, the FDA will authorize use of health claims about the role of soy protein in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) on labeling of foods containing soy protein. This final rule is based on the FDA's conclusion that foods containing soy protein included in a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of CHD by lowering blood cholesterol levels."

Hope this helps.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ;_;
    ;_;
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note-

I keep a cheap whey protein isolate/concentrate mix at home and at work, but not because I'm trying to pack on muscle. I keep it like college kids keep ramen noodles, in case I run out of cash. There were a few weeks this year that I was eating canned vegetables and whey protein by the end of the week. If your in college and keep the cupboard stocked with ramen, I'd stick a big jar of whey/soy up there too just in case. 10 bucks for what lasted me several months at wal-mart. Keep an eye on the date but the kind I got lasted well beyond the "sell by" date.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since these are dairy derivatives they do contain saturated fat and cholesterol.
    All right, that's not too controversial.

Here is the nutritional information for my current whey protein of choice. 0.5g saturated fat (3% of DRI) and 30mg of cholesterol (10% of DRI) per scoop (24g protein).

Their soy protein product is "saturated fat free" and "cholesterol free".

Soy beans are the only plant in the world that contains the same spread of amino acids(building blocks of muscle) as meat. They are higher and lower in some amino acids than meat, but you can still get them all.
    I believe that quinoa also meets that criteria.

However, you'll want to look at this post.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your in college and keep the cupboard stocked with ramen, I'd stick a big jar of whey/soy up there too just in case.
    I'd put casein there instead, if anything. Fridge full of milk would be preferable, of course, but that has its own problems.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right, that's not too controversial.

Here is the nutritional information for my current whey protein of choice. 0.5g saturated fat (3% of DRI) and 30mg of cholesterol (10% of DRI) per scoop (24g protein).
    Most whey protein's serving size is listed as two scoops, so be careful, but even at one scoop, if your seriously taking protein at every recommended interval plus eating the amount you need to eat to both workout and gain mass, then thats going to come to ALOT of extra saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet. Bodybuilders aren't known for their exceptionally long life-spans, and the sheer amount they have to eat is one of the reasons. I expect this to change in a generation or two though.

I believe that quinoa also meets that criteria.
    I have never heard of it, nor do I know anyone that uses it but I don't doubt that it exist .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast