Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2008 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understand it, cholesterol is a precursor to steroid hormones like testosterone so it's a fair bet you'll require some for putting on muscle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 1:32am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Teh El Macho. Im still a bit confused, is it ok to drink/eat lots of whole milk and whole cheese because it does have alot of saturated fat in it, i understand i need to gain weight and i am drinking whole milk every day at the moment.

What do you mean by lower extremities, do you mean my legs or core area?
    Last edited by Portillo; 9/22/2008 1:45am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, what else is in the lower part of your body? Yep, your legs. Anything from the hips down. :tongue3: This is explained somewhere in the stickies btw.

And don't worry about the saturated fats and all that ****. Work hard and it will work itself out. If you were overweight, then that would be an issue, but you are not. If you are concerned with whole milk, then use skim milk.

As SunTzu said, you needs fats, cholesterol for your body to manufacture steroids hormones. In fact, you need fats.

The problem is that people nowadays do not earn the calories they ingest. That's why all the precautions and warnings around fats become necessary... for those people that are overweight. You are not one of them.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 9:14am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with the contention that you can be unconcerned with fat intake and cholesterol levels just because you are young and/or skinny. It can catch up with you later.

I try to keep fats around 30% total calories. I would be even more concerned if I had diabetes in my family.

Some refs found with a quick search. I would be interested in seeing conflicting information if it exists.

http://www.aheartylife.com/2006/05/1...n-thin-people/
    http://www.manythings.org/voa/00/000816sr_t.htm

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, the big caveat is in the amount of training he does.

Wants to grow + is skinny -> work ass off + eat like a cow

Take "work ass off" and then he should be concerned about fat intake.

Wants to grow + is skinny + eat like a cow - work ass off = fatass

The only time it will catch up is if he 1) stops working his ass off while 2) eating like a cow. It's all about "earning your calories". You work your ass off, you can eat like a cow and grow.

I hardly see how being unconcerned with milk and cheese consumption (in addition to keeping a 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, 1/3 fibrous greens as previously mentioned) will put the guy at risk of obesity IF he's working his ass off (even with diabetes running on his family) :icon_scra:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 12:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    I disagree with the contention that you can be unconcerned with fat intake and cholesterol levels just because you are young and/or skinny. It can catch up with you later.
    Well, the CrossFit guys have something to say on the subject...

Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent.
    The only effective way to lower cholesterol is with drugs, but neither heart mortality or total mortality have been improved with drugs, the effect of which is cholesterol-lowering only. On the contrary, these drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life.
    -CrossFit Journal, November 15th (PDF)

Now, I'm not saying I agree with this. The CrossFit folks tend to overplay their hand in terms of theory.

My personal theory, though (and I didn't make this up, but I can't remember where I read it, so take it with a grain of salt) goes as follows: cholesterol levels rise in response to cardiovascular issues, not as a cause of them. This would explain why driving down cholesterol directly (eg. with drugs) doesn't improve health, but interventions that address other cardiovascular risk factors (eg. exercise) also affect cholesterol levels.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here is an interesting case ... a fit athlete with high cholesterol that brought it back into control with diet (or so the article implies).

http://www.healthmad.com/Fitness/Ath...lesterol.14479

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 6:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That article switches from ancedote to "studies have shown" halfway through, but never switches back. All he says about himself is "I run marathons, had a blood test, and it indicated that I have high cholesterol."

Not a lot to work with, even by n=1 study standards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 7:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    That article switches from ancedote to "studies have shown" halfway through, but never switches back. All he says about himself is "I run marathons, had a blood test, and it indicated that I have high cholesterol."

Not a lot to work with, even by n=1 study standards.
    here's a study (far from the only one) that concludes diet is effective in reducing cholesterol

http://www.uky.edu/PR/News/Archives/...erson_jama.htm

and another that concludes that only drugs can lower cholesterol

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...57C0A965958260

.... funded by Merck & Company (guess what they sell)

Personally, Im sticking with the theory that I can avoid drugs in the future by keeping a healthy diet now.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 11:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    here's a study (far from the only one) that concludes diet is effective in reducing cholesterol
    This sounds reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    interventions that address other cardiovascular risk factors (eg. exercise) also affect cholesterol levels.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast