Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Crosstraining?

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crosstraining?

After a four year hiatus from martial arts I'm finally back to training aikido again. I've found a nice Iwama Ryu club with a good atmosphere and an approach to training that I like, so I guess I'll be sticking with it. However, there's a local karate club that's got their newbie classes evenings there's no aikido training, and I'm sort of considering joining that club too, feeling both arts would complement each other (sure, there are better combinations of martial arts out there but these are the clubs I can conveniently access from where I live).

Thing is, that would add up to three sessions of aikido and two sessions of karate on a weekly basis. Add to that the fact that me and a couple of friends run the military obstacle course once a week. What worries me is if that would be simply too much training?

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No way of knowing without trying. Eat more, sleep more and take supplements to aid recovery. Vit C before training + Glutamine after.

Tbh I imagine you'll be fine considering how strenous many karate/aikido sessions are...

Style
    Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aikido + karate = lulz

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off to newbietown.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Internet Warrior, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    supplementing aikido with (most schools of) karate is not crosstraining, it's just double the waste of time and money.

Style
    Hapkido, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dark Elf,

If you're young, fit, and eat well, it should not be a problem. Just look out for signs of overtraining. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NOT A WASTE

Tell them to **** OFF ABOUT THE WAST OF MONEY

Is is a great idea. Check out my thread called "new fighter" http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75918

I practice two styles as well as wresteling. Let me know what you think.

DieselD
    Last edited by DieselD; 9/16/2008 12:36pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselD
    Tell them to **** OFF ABOUT THE WAST OF MONEY

Is is a great idea. Check out my thread called "new fighter"

I practive two styles as well as wresteling. Let me know what you think.

DieselD
    It would help him a lot more if you give him the link to your thread you know. How the heck is he going to find it, specially if he's new and doesn't know how to navigate the site?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New? He's been here for 3 years.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    It would help him a lot more if you give him the link to your thread you know. How the heck is he going to find it, specially if he's new and doesn't know how to navigate the site?

Fixed, so you can find it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last