Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 8:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, well. Looking at my post I kinda lost my point there. I wasn't comparing Kimbo to Lesnar per se, just talking generally about how good Kimbo really is. His game sure has big, gaping goatse-like holes in it, but he has his strengths too. Just like most up and comers do, when they are built up slowly but start their pro career a bit too early.

For the record I'm pretty sure Lesnar's wrestling skills would allow him to take Kimbo down and give him the Heath Herring treatment. Unlike Kimbo, Lesnar has indeed faced at least credible opposition. Ken Shamrock and Tank Abbott have always been way overrated, and both of them are past their prime, big time. Thompson is clearly a B-class fighter and yes, he was more than keeping up with Kimbo.

I think that without the previous notoriety Kimbo would be fighting guys on the same level but with no name or reputation. They really aren't feeding him cans any more than they would be if his career had started the conventional way. Unfortunately for the credibility for the sport itself Kimbo is too good of a money grubbing opportunity not to build up his career as main events. Like it or not he is pulling a lot more fans in than even Cung Le can.

UFC on the other hand, they could give Lesnar the kid gloves treatment, but they don't really have to. UFC is playing him from a very different business perspective than EliteXC is doing with Kimbo. EliteXC doesn't have much in the way of big names, so he has to be in the headlights for a long time to ensure their success. Thus the can feeding.

Lesnar on the other hand can make UFC a lot of cash losing too. He made Mir big again, a cindarella story about a former champion on his way back up the ladder. At the same time the fight 'proved' that pro wrestling is sub par for MMA's top guys. But since the result was what it was it left questions open. To the casual fans it seemed like Lesnar was completely dominating the match until the leg lock. This left his reputation clear enough to make the next fight interesting.

Heath Herring is a legit MMA fighter with a long record with some good wins (Tanner way back in -97 and Mark Kerr in -01) but who's recent grappling looked like crap (ref: Kongo match). He was pretty much fed to Lesnar as all Lesnar's strengths go right into Herring's holes (aggression, takedown ability, ground control). If Heath had won Lesnar's UFC main event status would have been gone but UFC would have still had two good matches out of him. But with Herring UFC had indeed optimized the risk vs. reward situation for cashing in with Lesnar, which gave a big third match for Lesnar to complete his contract on.

So, UFC doesn't have to feed Lesnar but EliteXC has no choice but to feed Kimbo. Lesnar getting an attempt at the title though.. That's pure bullcrap. Interesting match up I'm glad to see, but shitcake due to the title aspect. And for the sport. UFC doesn't need the sensationalist approach any more. They are well in the green business-wise, which just shows that greed is making them do things that annoy us.

Damn, rambling again. Can't seem to pull off long, concise posts. Oh well.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMac
    Well, while syphilis is better than AIDS, I don't really want either one.

I'll let you guys decide who gets to be syphilis and who gets to be AIDS.

Great fucking quote, man.

can Shammy be the clap?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 12:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Bas is right about Kimbo being more rounded than Lesnar. Kimbo generally sucks all around, whereas Lesnar is actually really good at one thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 1:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I think Bas is right about Kimbo being more rounded than Lesnar. Kimbo generally sucks all around, whereas Lesnar is actually really good at one thing.
    Quoted for truth.

Honestly, I want to see Kimbo get his ass handed to him. That would shut up all the Kimbo nut-huggers I encounter in my day-to-day. If I have to hear how "Kimbo is gonna pwn that other guy 'cause he is the uber-awesomest fighter evar!", I'm gonna smack somebody's grandma.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 1:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've actually met fans of Kimbo? What do these strange beings look like? What does their diet consist of?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 1:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does their diet consist of?
    Bread.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've actually met fans of Kimbo? What do these strange beings look like? What does their diet consist of?
    There are TWO in my English Lit class. I was talking to this fine ass judoka about the Judo school she trains at, when I mentioned Kimbo v. Lesnar or something or other, and this pimple faced, fat fucking idiot butted in and decided to lay down the law on the subject of Kimbo and his "skillz", in his nasal whine that would usually only be heard to bitch about the mean old jocks. lolz. Funny really, because one of those said jocks, a pretty tall, fairly heavily built "jock" turned around and got into this strong man pose (flexing his gunz!), then yelling "Yeah! Kimbo is my nigga!"

I **** you not.

One of them, living vicariously through Kimbo's fight vids. The other trying to make himself more the badass by associating himself with-the epitomy of macho-Kimbo!

I don't know guys. It's a mad world out there. :sad3:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 3:05am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my friends loves Kimbo. It's sad, I don't know what to do. He's intelligent, well read and generally a great guy...but every time the topic turns to MMA (which with my friends is incredibly rare) he starts talking about Slice. I try and point out the obvious but I usually give up after a minute or two and the conversation changes.

Oh, his diet consists mostly of rum & cokes and cans of chili he buys at the liqour store.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 8:38am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drugs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 10:02am

Style: ju jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just threw up in my mouth a little after those comments.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast