Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bas Rutten “Kimbo Has More Skill Than Lesnar.”

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=1625

EliteXC held their Conference Call today and it was quite a lively affair. In addition to the usual banter between Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice(during which Shamrock certainly held his own) there was an interesting comment made by Slice’s trainer Bas Rutten. Here’s the gist of it(not a direct quote):

Kimbo has much more skill than Brock Lesnar and feels he is a more well rounded fighter. Bas doesnt want to take anything away from Lesnar, but he feels Kimbo is just better.

Rutten has been known to be a straight shooter in the MMA world, but this statement is a hard one to justify, especially after Slice’s last performance. EliteXC CBS Saturday Night Fights takes place on October 4th and will feature Ken Shamrock returning to action against mainstream MMA fighter Kimbo Slice.

***Cmon Bas! that's not True***

blotter art.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 5:31am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God forbid somebody sullies the fine Lesnar name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 5:31am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas is usually an excellent commentator and a funny guy, but he should stop smoking weed before a press-conference.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 6:14am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh great, now the interwebz iz gonna explode with nuthuggers, wwe fans and general idiots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 6:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not saying that Brock is a great fighter, but there is no way that Kimbo is better than Lesnar. He has a better striking game and thats it. The man has no cardio and his ground-game is embarassing, Bas is just trying to talk up his student.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:34am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, while syphilis is better than AIDS, I don't really want either one.

I'll let you guys decide who gets to be syphilis and who gets to be AIDS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say Lesnar deserves to fight in the big legues after seeing how he dominated Herring. Not deserving of a title-shot yet, but he deserves to be in the UFC at least. Can't say the same for Kimbo though, he has faced cans throughout his career.

Do I think that Lesnar has the tools to beat Randy? No, I think his game is still too limited, and Randy is too intelligent and tactical. I do however think that Lesnar will be a very dangerous fighter within a couple of years, while Kimbo will not.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas doesn't know Lesnar and could be just pushing for the publicity that has and will come out of such statements. Then again, the guy has been training under Bas for a couple of years now as a full time MMA fighter. Only Bas knows how much he has improved in this time, but if Kimbo of today can't kick Kimbo of 2 years ago's ass with ease I'd be very, very surprised.

Yeah, it takes longer to get a good ground game, at least a couple of years more. But the guy was already in great physical shape and gets to train with one of the best guys in the business full time. I'm pretty sure Bas would have kicked his ass off the gym by now if he couldn't improve the way he should. And if it wasn't for the whole Internet Warrior aspect I'm willing to bet you guys would be talking about him as a serious up and comer. Neither Kimbo nor Lesnar should be in the limelight right now, but unfortunately that's not how the world works.

EDIT: And even though you all consider James Thompson to be a can I don't really think that every Joe and their cousin Bob with a couple of years of MMA under their belt could take him on. Like I said, if it wasn't for the unjustified limelight and IW-status Kimbo would be considered a good prospect. I know I do.
    Last edited by hpr; 9/14/2008 8:00am at .
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 8:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar by falcon punch.

Seriously though, remember Thompson pounding Kimbo for most of Round 2? Brock would take him Kimbo down right at the start, then GnP him with actual power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 8:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are certainly correct in that both of them are being talked up way beyond their accomplishments, and in the fact that Bas is just using another big name as comparison in order to make Kimbo sound badass.

I agree that Thompson was not a can, but I also feel that Thompson beat Kimbo. He had him down and was striking his head with elbows at will, the only reason that Kimbo won is because of EliteXC protecting their big name. Now, despite this Kimbo could be a good prospect, his biggest weakness seems to be his cardio and (from what I've seen) lack of takedown defense. We will not know for sure until EliteXC start throwing bigger challenges at him.

One could make the case that Lesnar has been treated the opposite considering the penalty in the Mir fight. I wouldn't really do that since strikes to the back of the head are erratically penalised in MMA. Lesnar is also being talked up waaay beyond what he should be, but he has faced a much higher quality of opponents than Kimbo.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast