Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how effective is judo in a street fight?

i am just curious as to how effective is judo in a street fight?

what can it improve on to make it more effective for self defence?

what particular things in judo are more effective "street wise", sweeps or hip throws or leg throws ect. ect.

and if i were to cross train in anything for self defence what would be my over all best option?

outta these choices (combatives, boxing, muay thai) which is the best for self defence?

my first choices is combatives of course.

if this is a repost i am sorry. first post in here.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try using the search function before you post a new thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...highlight=Judo

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 12:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh sorry then. i had been a member on here no more then 3 minets when i wrote that.

lol going about on the second hour now.

wow exactly what i was looking for though, so thank you!

i am still getting used to all the features to this site so far. i'll try to use that search option more often from now on.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is terrible for streetfighting. Throwing people on their heads and choking dudes out has no place on the streets!

Otherwise, to supplement, try some no gi stuff every once and while and pick up a good striking art.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is too effective for t3h str33ts. Seriously, dropping fools on their heads might get you a manslaughter charge.

But boxing will work very well with judo, especially if you get it more MMA-flavored, as it will (read: should) contain some dirty boxing (striking from the clinch, good), no-gi (for the inevitable naked PCP fiend), and transitioning from standing to the ground (which you should be doing judo-style: onto their spines and choking them out with their necklace).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 5:09am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posting in newbietown would also help.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 9:45am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly I tell people all the time Judo is the most effective form of self defense. One very over looked aspect is that you learn how to fall. Break falling after a time becomes instinctive. If attacked from a weird angle and you are taken down you will more than likely fall correctly and end up in a positive position rather than a negative. Judo helps develop you kinesthetic awareness or proprioception which allows you to be thrown and know your orientation with the ground.

Along with that comes the response to an attack with a giving or yielding motion. Training in Judo you do not meet force with force but rather give way and add to your attackers motion or force. This will bode well for you in a court of law. Aside from the criminal charges that may arises from self defense situation, the civil suit is what you should plan on. The criminal charge will go away once the court finds you were acting in self defense. Now the civil suit that may follow will be the kicker. If you injury your attacker you can be sued if found that you used excessive force to deal with the attack.

In your striking arts you are taught to hit as hard as possible to inflict damage to stop an attack i.e. block/dodge then punch/kick them as hard as possible. If this fractures bones in the face or you continue to strike them as they are incapacitated you can be sued. While in Judo a hip toss or foot sweep will take your attacker down and you should be in control of them once they go down you an apply a restraining technique such as an arm lock or even a hold down. Given the circumstances a choke would work also as long as you revive him or place them in the recovery position so they don't throw up and choke on their own vomit.

In applying Judo methods to the situation you will have a better foot to stand on when and if it becomes a civil matter. Now will this cover your ass all the time and for every situation? No but the concepts and principles behind the art form give you the tools and philosophical back up you will need to defend yourself on the street and in a court of law.
    Last edited by Coach Josh; 1/26/2009 8:51am at .
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 10:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Honestly I tell people all the time Judo is the most effective form of self defense. One very over looked aspect is that you learn how to fall. Break falling after a time becomes instinctive. If attacked from a weird angle and you are taken down you will more than likely fall correctly and end up in a positive position rather than a negative. Judo develops helps develop you kinesthetic awareness or proprioception which allows you to be thrown and know your orientation with the ground.

Along with that comes the response to an attack with a giving or yielding motion. Training in Judo you do not meet force with force but rather give way and add to your attackers motion or force. This will bode well for you in a court of law. Aside from the criminal charges that may arises from self defense situation, the civil suit is what you should plan on. The criminal charge will go away once the court finds you were acting in self defense. Now the civil suit that may follow will be the kicker. If you injury your attacker you can be sued if found that you used excessive force to deal with the attack.

In you striking arts you are taught to hit as hard as possible to inflict damage to stop an attack i.e. block/dodge then punch/kick them as hard as possible. If this fractures bones in the face or you continue to strike them as they are incapacitated you can be sued. While in Judo a hip toss or foot sweep will take your attacker down and you should be in control of them once they go down you an apply a restraining technique such as an arm lock or even a hold down. Given the circumstances a choke would work also as long as you revive him or place them in the recovery position so they don't throw up and choke on their own vomit.

In applying Judo methods to the situation you will have a better foot to stand on when and if it becomes a civil matter. Now will this cover your ass all the time and for every situation? No but the concepts and principles behind the art form give you the tools and philosophical back up you will need to defend yourself on the street and in a court of law.
    Sticky please.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 3:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo Club membership = $20 a month
    Boxing Club in the Ghetto = $100 a year
    Knowing that you are learning to F@ck people up for what it costs just to get to an MMA gym every week... = Priceless

For everything else you've got Coach Keely*

* Toothless, Ex-Con Coach that advocates carrying brass knuckles, kneeing and elbowing from the clinch, spits bile on the white man, and trains you ragged because you are a few shades lighter than he is...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 4:35am

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And once again I find I must have a crush on Coach Josh.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast