Posted On:
    9/13/2008 5:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First tournament

Competed in my first tournament today.

Elvis Sinosic was in charge of the mat our division was on. I knew he was a big guy, but in person he is quite enormous.

My first and only opponent would have been at the heavy end of the weight class (heavyweight), whereas I stupidly did not cut to the weight class below and was only about 2-3 kg above the bottom end of the weight class when one factors in the 3kg gi allownace. My opponent seemed a nice enough guy before and after the fight. Anyway..

We start off and in the blink of an eye (literally) I end up on my back. Teammates watching told me later that he basically bullrushed me and I would believe that, because by the time I got my senses, I think I either had some kind of guard which got passed, or he was already passing into side control. He got mount and we ended up out of the ring and got moved back to the middle. I couldn't get him off mount until he tried an armbar which wasn't tight enough, so I rolled into him and got out. I don't remember exactly what happened from there but I either got swept or just plain bowled over and ended up pulling guard. Worked for a cross lapel choke but he postured up out of it and must've passed at least half my guard because the next thing I remember I had half guard with a lockdown. I tried to whip up but couldn't move him and he ended up getting a figure 4 (I think you guys call it an Americana) from inside my half guard.

I think maybe I tried to stay too relaxed and wasn't fully engaged when he shot/bulldozed me - or got too nervous and froze. That pissed me off because I didn't get a chance to try any of the 2-3 takedown options I'd been working on. My guard game need a lot of work - firstly not getting it passed at will, secondly sweeps, thirdly submissions. I need to drop down to 90kg or even maybe 80kg long-term because heavyweights are just too big for me, and I need to do way more fitness and strength training. Even so, it was fun and I imagine I'll have another go next year and maybe go in some other tournaments.

And oh yeah...was I ever fodder ;)
    Last edited by gzk; 9/13/2008 5:04am at . Reason: formatting

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 5:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's 6:50 AM my time and I am getting ready to head off to my first tournament (hopefully)

Your story has inspired me to go do a giant poop so I can squeak in under 205 pounds

Also congrats for going

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congratz.

sounds like a classic tail of "first time jitters". common symptoms include: not doing simple things you drilled a million times, not remembering most of the match, and time distortion.

The good news is that next time you'll know what to expect and the symptoms will be much milder, and the more you compete the easier they are to get a grip on... but I'm not sure if they ever go away completely (at least for most people).

BTW you should drill armbar counter to submission attempts from inside the guard. by keylocking you from inside your closed guard he basically puts himself in an armbar.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:33am

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can only try to controll the pace of your matches, it doesn't always work. I normally take about 10-15 seconds just circuling to keep from getting rushed. Try it, see if it works for you.

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 10:01pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    [ ... ] the next thing I remember I had half guard with a lockdown. I tried to whip up but couldn't move him and he ended up getting a figure 4 (I think you guys call it an Americana) from inside my half guard.
    I submitted my first opponent at the Long Island Pride tournament in exactly this manner a few hours ago. The guys I catch most often with this are the ones who clamp on half-guard and then hang on for dear life; maybe work on staying dynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    [ ... ] you should drill armbar counter to submission attempts from inside the guard. by keylocking you from inside your closed guard he basically puts himself in an armbar.
    Good advice, but he had him in his half-guard, Mikey. :smile:
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    I submitted my first opponent at the Long Island Pride tournament in exactly this manner a few hours ago. The guys I catch most often with this are the ones who clamp on half-guard and then hang on for dear life; maybe work on staying dynamic?

Good advice, but he had him in his half-guard, Mikey. :smile:
    my bad, I've been drinking sparks since 7:00... I think I'm doing pretty good all considered :5forbidde

I didn't realize long island pride was today... did you see anyone from RedBoy or Scarola there?
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 8:20am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realize long island pride was today... did you see anyone from RedBoy or Scarola there?
    Loads from both. I was surprised not to see you, but a bearded lad called (I think) Doug said you were in Florida at the moment.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 3:25pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have my first tournament in October. My instructor says I have to win the white belt division to pass my sparring requirement for a blue belt.

Needless to say I'm a bit nervous. My training buddy has suggested that before every match I look my opponent in the eyes and whisper:
    "raperaperaperaperaperaperape"

congratz.
    BTW you should drill armbar counter to submission attempts from inside the guard. by keylocking you from inside your closed guard he basically puts himself in an armbar.
    Can anyone link me to some sort of instructional page on this? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.
    Last edited by Kyduh; 9/22/2008 3:29pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2008 9:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    Loads from both. I was surprised not to see you, but a bearded lad called (I think) Doug said you were in Florida at the moment.
    I train at Scarola's and I was at Pride, so I might have seen you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was this tournament in sydney?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast