Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio Cardio Cardio Cardio

I'm trying to get rid of my fucking love handles and gut so needless to say in addition to my 5x5 and martial arts training i need some cardio. Basically I'm doing on my off days of weights (which are MWF) and my cardio is a half hour on the treadmill 30 minutes about 3.5 miles. I start slower, get it up to 7.5 mph and then back it down towards the end. Should I lengthen it to lose the fat? Or should I just intensify it?

Btw I'm pretty satisfied with my diet, tons of protein creatine, vitamens, lunch is two beef patties and huge salids, breakfast and dinner is usually either protein bars or oatmeal + protein shake. Once in a while I'll throw a pork chop or roundstake on the george forman grill for dinner. Avoiding carbs.

H 6'4 W 236

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 12:03am

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do 3 min. circuts. Jumping jacks, situps, burpies, hindu pushup, crunches, jumping lundges, and sprawls. Alternating the exercises at random. Kicks our asses

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 1:33am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should change your diet to 5-6 smaller meals spread out through the day. It will keep your metabolism up. Spread your protein intake out too. Your body can only absorb so much at once.

Teh Macho can tell you more about this kind of thing.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 3:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Landser
    I'm trying to get rid of my fucking love handles and gut so needless to say in addition to my 5x5 and martial arts training i need some cardio. Basically I'm doing on my off days of weights (which are MWF) and my cardio is a half hour on the treadmill 30 minutes about 3.5 miles. I start slower, get it up to 7.5 mph and then back it down towards the end. Should I lengthen it to lose the fat? Or should I just intensify it?

Btw I'm pretty satisfied with my diet, tons of protein creatine, vitamens, lunch is two beef patties and huge salids, breakfast and dinner is usually either protein bars or oatmeal + protein shake. Once in a while I'll throw a pork chop or roundstake on the george forman grill for dinner. Avoiding carbs.

H 6'4 W 236
    How often do you do the treadmill?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 9:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will burn fat with what you are doing, but for maximum fat loss high-intensity-interval training has proven most effective. Basically you need to run as fast as you can manage for 3 minutes, then jog for 1-3 minutes to catch your breath a bit, then sprint again. Starting off you could even sprint for 1 minute and jog for 3.

Repeat for as long as you can.

An added benefit if you fight in competition is that this simulates the timed rounds in a fight and gets your body accustomed to recovering in a short time. All the muscle magazines, men's fitness, and some random guy at GNC all agree that HIIT is the way to go for max fat loss. If you've got a belly your trying to get rid of, or just seem soft and want your abs to show you need to do hanging leg lifts for lower abs and crunches for upper. Throw in planks between sets.

Another way to be more effective at cardio is to alternate what you're doing in your workout. If you run till your legs get tired then jump on the heavy bag, then to the elliptical etc, just keep moving.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure someone will post the video of the guys running on the treadmill at some crazy angle. Try it, it's fucking hardcore.

I've been doing it myself after endurance work.

Basically, put the treadmill on the highest incline, set it for a decent running speed and drop in. Run for as long as possible (30-60 seconds usually) and come off.

Rinse and repeat

Also, I wouldn't have Oatmeal for you final meal. Seems a little late to be taking in all those carbs.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 9:36am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how much protein can your body absorb in one sitting?

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    You will burn fat with what you are doing, but for maximum fat loss high-intensity-interval training has proven most effective. Basically you need to run as fast as you can manage for 3 minutes, then jog for 1-3 minutes to catch your breath a bit, then sprint again. Starting off you could even sprint for 1 minute and jog for 3.

Repeat for as long as you can.

An added benefit if you fight in competition is that this simulates the timed rounds in a fight and gets your body accustomed to recovering in a short time. All the muscle magazines, men's fitness, and some random guy at GNC all agree that HIIT is the way to go for max fat loss. If you've got a belly your trying to get rid of, or just seem soft and want your abs to show you need to do hanging leg lifts for lower abs and crunches for upper. Throw in planks between sets.

Another way to be more effective at cardio is to alternate what you're doing in your workout. If you run till your legs get tired then jump on the heavy bag, then to the elliptical etc, just keep moving.
    A three minute "sprint" is not HIIT; there's no way you're putting forth anything approaching high intensity for three minutes. Typical HIIT protocols have sprints that last between 10 and 30 seconds, with work/rest ratios anywhere from 2:1 to 1:4.

Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    how much protein can your body absorb in one sitting?
    There are conflicting studies on this, but most sources put it around 40 grams.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that it's around 40 grams
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod
    A three minute "sprint" is not HIIT; there's no way you're putting forth anything approaching high intensity for three minutes. Typical HIIT protocols have sprints that last between 10 and 30 seconds, with work/rest ratios anywhere from 2:1 to 1:4.
    See this post, particularly protocol #4.

Also, re: protein digestion capacity... anyone got a source I can check out?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast