Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ newb with a question about grip.

Hey, all. I'm a BJJ whitebelt since August. It's the first martial art I've ever taken and I've had a great time with it, but there's this one little problem: my grip is worthless now. I've read that gi-wearing jujitsu can tire your arms out and easily overtrain your grip, but even without doing forearm exercises, I'm unable to train with normal amounts of weight even on things like military press and bench because my forearms just can't take it. My military press dropped from around 90 lbs at 5x5 to 65 lbs at the same amount of reps due to this (yes, I can only shoulder press 90 lbs. I know.)

My question is, will this go away by itself if I just keep doing what I'm doing, or will I have to lay off one of the two activities until my forearms heal up? As of now I'm weight training 2-3 times a week in 30 minute sessions (have to keep overall workout time down because I'm a hardgainer) and doing BJJ for 90 minutes two days a week. I've thought about training grip strength with towel pullups and such, but I don't want to put more stress on those muscles if they're overtrained already. Any ideas?

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Rith__, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So wait? Are your wrists overtrained or undertrained? If they're undertrained, BJJ will help, and you use grip trainers, and heavy pulls. If they're overtrained you might want to invest in some wrist straps for your weight lifting to take some of the strain on your grip.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest is just as important as the work. Take 3 days off and don't do anything upper body and see how they feel when you go back to it.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    So wait? Are your wrists overtrained or undertrained? If they're undertrained, BJJ will help, and you use grip trainers, and heavy pulls. If they're overtrained you might want to invest in some wrist straps for your weight lifting to take some of the strain on your grip.
    I assume it's from overtraining because my wrists were fine until I started BJJ. If that's the case, I'd like to know if I should just go ahead and take a break (as Kintanon suggested) or buy the straps and gut it out so I don't lose workout time?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rith__
    I assume it's from overtraining because my wrists were fine until I started BJJ. If that's the case, I'd like to know if I should just go ahead and take a break (as Kintanon suggested) or buy the straps and gut it out so I don't lose workout time?
    Do both. Work on your squats for a while or something, and when they're feeling better, come back and train with wrist straps.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stop squeezing so hard. bjj does not require you to maintain a deathgrip.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand how a tired grip would have any impact on your pressing movements. Are your hands so tired that the bar just rolls out of your grip? Kind of like this (gross accident)

YouTube - Nasty benchpress accident - nice spotting

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can squeeze out more reps if you grip the bar harder.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    stop squeezing so hard. bjj does not require you to maintain a deathgrip.
    Ug, i rolled with a guy the other day who did that, he didn't really need to, he was quite a bit heavier than me, but held on for dear life.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last