Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 1:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    I was wondering about this too. From what I gather it's best to mix proteins through out the day. for instance, Whey proteins after you workout for fastest absorption when your body needs it right then, and then later in the evening, eat some lean red meat or chicken since it takes longer to absorb in your gut but presumably you'll get more out of it as it digests. Does that sound right? It seems to make since. Eggs and lean meats through out the day and whey or casein after exercise to give an immediate boost.

Here's another article I read on high fat low carb diets. I'm not convinced it would work for athletes since it sounds kind of Atkins-ish. Has anybody tried a high fat/low carb diet while maintaining a high protein intake (>1g protein / lb of body weight)?

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html
    When trying to add muscle you need to eat carbs with your protein, right after you workout is the most important time to add carbs. If you eat pure protein then you're protein is going to be burned for energy, but carbs burn before protein, so you combine the 2 and your protein can be used for what you intended, the carbs go to refuel and the protein goes to repair.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 1:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Well, it's kind of an important point. My opinion - please don't ask for a study to back this one up - is that people don't get skinny because they're running marathons competitively. They run marathons competitively because they're skinny.
    I was 365 pounds, I've been the same relative weight/size since I was about 7. I started running, I could not run 50 yards. 1 month later I could run a mile, 2 months, 2 miles, not long after I ran a 5k, then 10k a little later. I was still 340 pounds. I let myself go again and at 365 pounds within one month I ran 10k again. Fat people can run marathons and marathon runners can carry a gut. My times aren't epic but that has as much to do with a short stride as it does with being fat. I only know my times in miles. 5 miles 40 minutes/10 miles 100 minutes. I had it in my head to train for a full marathon, then I slacked off again. Story of my life. Do I know how to get in shape and lose weight? Sure I've lost more pounds than most 2 people weigh. Do I have the ability to keep it off? Apparently not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 7:00am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    I was 365 pounds, I've been the same relative weight/size since I was about 7. I started running, I could not run 50 yards. 1 month later I could run a mile, 2 months, 2 miles, not long after I ran a 5k, then 10k a little later. I was still 340 pounds. I let myself go again and at 365 pounds within one month I ran 10k again. Fat people can run marathons and marathon runners can carry a gut. My times aren't epic but that has as much to do with a short stride as it does with being fat. I only know my times in miles. 5 miles 40 minutes/10 miles 100 minutes. I had it in my head to train for a full marathon, then I slacked off again. Story of my life. Do I know how to get in shape and lose weight? Sure I've lost more pounds than most 2 people weigh. Do I have the ability to keep it off? Apparently not.
    Eat less calories than you use and you will lose weight.

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 7:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quija
    you need to do hanging leg lifts for lower abs and crunches for upper. Throw in planks between sets.
    Slight derail: When you say "lower and upper abs", to what are you referring?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 8:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Slight derail: When you say "lower and upper abs", to what are you referring?

Ok im in a hurry so thats the first pic I found.

See how they are kinda seperated by tendons? Well doing a situp engages more of the upper set while a hanging leg lift engages most of the lower. You need to work them all out to define each of them.

If you need more elaboration Ill get back to you later, let me know, I have to go to a wedding.

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was given to understand that what you just said is an old fitness myth and that really, you can only train the rectus abdominus as a whole, not in seperate packets. I suspect that the muscles you primarily train doing a hanging leg raise are your hip flexors rather than your rectus abdominus, which is best trained by doing crunches as that isolates the muscle better.

Can anyone, prefarably somebody with a sports trainer education, clarify this matter?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having read a lot of these studies about the benefits of HIIT and/or Tabata to both fat loss and VO2 max improvements, from personal experience I still think it's a good idea for most people to build up to it from more traditional steady longer distance cardio first. Attempting to go straight to intense HIIT for an out of shape person tends to just mean that you aren't going nearly intensely enough during the 'sprints'. An awful lot of these studies seem to be conducted on groups of highly conditioned young(ish) competitive atheletes.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 9:28am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Having read a lot of these studies about the benefits of HIIT and/or Tabata to both fat loss and VO2 max improvements, from personal experience I still think it's a good idea for most people to build up to it from more traditional steady longer distance cardio first. Attempting to go straight to intense HIIT for an out of shape person tends to just mean that you aren't going nearly intensely enough during the 'sprints'. An awful lot of these studies seem to be conducted on groups of highly conditioned young(ish) competitive atheletes.
    Yep.

Gotta have a base.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    This is exactly right. Not only do you lose intensity, you greatly increase the chance of getting hurt.

Gotta build a base . . .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2008 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nemasai - unless you're going to get into competitive endurance sports, I wouldn't worry too much about your V02 max. Well trained individuals in any sport tend to reach close to their (individual sports specific) ceiling within a couple months of regular training.

And V02 max isn't a particularly good predictor of endurance performance. You generally need a big V02 max to be good at endurance events but other things come into play during the course of a race.

If you still want more on V02 max, these two links look pretty easy to follow. My suspicion is that the link to lactate threshhold training at the bottom of the page on the second link is going to be more important to you as a boxer, or any burst and recover athlete. (But that's only after you build a suitable base).

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a.../a/VO2_max.htm

Hope that helps
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast