Posted On:
    9/12/2008 2:24am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Yes, I would.
    How do you know?

You face fires, you train for this, and I'm sure you would morally choose to do so, but have you dealt with this particular situation (or similar)? That's the only way to know.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 3:10am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night driving back from a Body Pump class (cardio interval weights to music) with my GF passed a Teenager who was putting the boot into the back of his opponent. I stopped nearby and just past him and blasted my car horn. If I had been with another guy or two and not my GF I would probably have got out the car – tooled up. As I was with my non driving GF on an empty street apart from this incident, and as the kicks seemed more half hearted meant to humiliate rather than injure I did what I thought was appropriate at that time.. The little **** did stop, whether he started again after I drove off I don’t know. I have stepped up before even when on my own. Once a baldy bastard was trying to strangle his girlfriend who was bent backwards over a hedge and I grabbed him by the collar from behind and kicked his knee hard enough for me to bang his head of the ground, the street was packed and no-one had said anything to him up to this point.

Nutter with hammer, bet i could ave got behind him too.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to say I would help, but there's no way to know until it happens in front of you.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 7:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably wouldn't have done anything because I mostly don't give a **** about other people that aren't my friends or family. If I saw that scene unfold in front of me, my first instinct would be to make sure I was ready to defend myself if he turned on me next.

I have a family that needs me to come home. It's an ugly world. I make no apologies for putting my own safety before strangers. Survival is my top priority. I take responsibility for my safety and the safety of my family. Other people should take responsibility for their own safety, too.

If he attacked a child I would feel compelled to help. If he attacked a woman, I may or may not feel compelled to help. I've had learning experiences with that type of situation. I once approached a crying woman sitting alone in her parked car to help, only to be confronted by her pistol-wielding pimp. She looked just like any regular girl. But in reality, she did everything in the world possible to put herself in the shitty position she was in. Things are not always what they seem, and I'm not risking my life for some crack whore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:00am

Style: TSD-MDK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I probably wouldn't have done anything because I mostly don't give a **** about other people that aren't my friends or family. If I saw that scene unfold in front of me, my first instinct would be to make sure I was ready to defend myself if he turned on me next.

I have a family that needs me to come home. It's an ugly world. I make no apologies for putting my own safety before strangers. Survival is my top priority. I take responsibility for my safety and the safety of my family. Other people should take responsibility for their own safety, too.

If he attacked a child I would feel compelled to help. If he attacked a woman, I may or may not feel compelled to help. I've had learning experiences with that type of situation. I once approached a crying woman sitting alone in her parked car to help, only to be confronted by her pistol-wielding pimp. She looked just like any regular girl. But in reality, she did everything in the world possible to put herself in the shitty position she was in. Things are not always what they seem, and I'm not risking my life for some crack whore.
    QFT, could not have said it any better . . .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chen style taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Everyone would LIKE to say they would. But people are sheep. Plain and simple. Sheep. I hope the people on this video live a long life. A long life so they reflect on thier cowardice. Sure - I'm sure in the version of the story that they tell to family and friends it will include all sorts of "reasons" not to get involved. Perhaps in time they will even begin to believe those "reasons". But in thier hearts they know they are cowards.

And that is the truth of it.
    Everyone has fear, unless they're insane. Courage means being able to put fear to one side and act. Personally, I think when you read something like this, it's useful to take a few minutes to visualize how you would respond if faced with a similar situation. Not only whether you would intervene or not, but if you elect to intervene, what initial technique do you think you would you use based on the body position you see in the vid?

I also understand the point made by a later post about not intervening because a person has a family to provide for. I have the same feelings. Preparing yourself mentally (without becoming paranoid) probably will help with risk assessment if God forbid you find yourself in the same spot.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sort of an attack would certainly warrant the use of deadly force (firearm) and had this sort of attack occurred anywhere south of Pennsylvania, the hammer attacker would likely have a half-dozen new holes in his body. The fact that a bunch of disarmed sheeple refused or were unwilling to step in and render aid doesn't surprise anybody---least of all, me. We as human beings (and citizens of this country) are getting more wretched and worthless as time rolls on....absolutely inexcusable. The hammer man should've been shot dead...period. As any sort of an attack from a hammer would've certainly qualified as an assault which could have resulted in serious bodily harm or death to the victim.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:44am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to disagree.

If you use a firearm on a man with a melee weapon, you are just escalating the violence.

If someone is calmly attacking someone with a hammer, most people have no idea what is happening, or why it is happening. I'm sure most of the people on that train could not have overpowered someone with a weapon, without getting hurt themselves. Who knows if he had a gun?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor
    This sort of an attack would certainly warrant the use of deadly force (firearm) and had this sort of attack occurred anywhere south of Pennsylvania, the hammer attacker would likely have a half-dozen new holes in his body. The fact that a bunch of disarmed sheeple refused or were unwilling to step in and render aid doesn't surprise anybody---least of all, me. We as human beings (and citizens of this country) are getting more wretched and worthless as time rolls on....absolutely inexcusable. The hammer man should've been shot dead...period. As any sort of an attack from a hammer would've certainly qualified as an assault which could have resulted in serious bodily harm or death to the victim.

Having a gun in your pocket would definitely make the decision to act much easier. But I disagree that things would've turned out much differently in the South, where I'm from. Almost all public transportation systems ban firearms, which means you risk getting in all kinds of **** for carrying, even in concealed carry states. Atlanta is a notable exception that allows concealed carry on public transportation.

Now, if this were to happen on the street here in the South, or in a restaurant, etc. - then yeah, he'd probably get blasted. There are groups pushing for concealed carry on public transportation, college campuses, etc. The more places we're allowed to carry, the less likely **** like this becomes.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 8:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in a store that was held up by a guy with a gun and a guy with a hammer.
    I was more concerned about the guy with the hammer.
    There's something extra violent about a hammer. I think that's why people didn't step in.
    Also, that video is now going to stop me sitting down on public transport.
    Last edited by sochin101; 9/12/2008 9:49am at .
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast