Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 12:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA/Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Raging youtube debate on the merits of knife disarms...

YouTube - Filipino Weapons Fighting - Kali Knife Fighting Clip

check out my debate with eliteforcecombat. Does anyone else have any experience/input with using the thumb to press the flat of the blade back against one opponent or using the bite to disarm a live blade? How and why would we be using this? Thoughts?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bro, did you check out Tony Mayo's website ? He is the new Frank Dux man !!!!!!!!!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did and my bullshido senses went off like a firecracker. My biggest beef with the guy is that he was taught by a Pekiti instructor and couldn't recognize first level pekiti disarms. This guy just demonstrated ignorance, plain and simple. I don't give a rip where he's from or what he's done or how many baseball players he's dressed up in army fatigues and ran around in the swamp with, this was just basic ignorance on display.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 10:17am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While they are very similar, there is a crucial difference between the way that ron is demonstrating the first few disarms and the way they're taught in pekiti.

Look where he puts his thumb.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 8:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's the first movement, though. Balicki's just doing a quick recap of the various movement. the full disarm involves controling the hand and using your checking hand to reach through and grab the handle into the fencing grip. It looks a little weird and i guess i can't fault Mayo on that. What i fault him on is using sparring/rbsd situations to evaluate single naked techniques. That's a huge gaff and to me it calls into question the competency of the instructor.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the underneath change demonstrated at :25 is exactly like we do it in my Silat style, unlike so, so many of the other styles, FMA and Malay/Indo Silat styles. I remember that being one of the first things that I saw that I didn't like when looking at Modern Arnis.
    Maintaining contact is one of the truly crucial points if you want even a prayer for your knife disarms to work. Stick like glue! (& get behind that elbow...)
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 9/25/2008 11:16am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 5:10pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the knife disarms included shooting the guy with the knife, or hitting him really hard with a baseball bat, it is legit. Anything else is horsehit.

Aaron Fields

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 9:12pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done the disarms vs icepick grip versus resisting opponents, and had much bigger guys muscle them on me, but would concur that making space either exiting, deploying a weapon, or tying up are all higher-percentage.

I've also seen a fairly safe strip against the opponents leg when you have a two on one grip(by "safe" I mean you will only get stabbed a few times).

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 9:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    If the knife disarms included shooting the guy with the knife, or hitting him really hard with a baseball bat, it is legit. Anything else is horsehit.

Aaron Fields
    :merror:

I love when grapplers make blanket statements. I love when ANYONE makes a blanket statement, for that matter. It makes it so much easier to tell how fucking ignorant they really are....
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 10:07pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I am not speaking as a grappler, but as a guy who has been on countless knife "fights," The guy without the knife looses. Now that is not to say nothing is better than a little something, but just to say, the majority of the time it doesn't work out very well. A "fucking" blanket statement..I guess.

I will also add that maybe my comment seemed flipant, whatever, I am not someone who lives under the pretense that my combative/combative sport is going to be of more than marginal value on the "street." In truth, being in shape and use to contact sports is likley as big of an advantage as anything else.

As selfcritical said, getting stabbed only a few times and ending up with the knife is a good day.

To derail the topic a bit,
    What I have found is that percussion damage seems to "stop" folks quicker in general. (I know Jim you hate general statements, but alas, few things can be talked about without them.) A few days backl we had a ccouple of call nearly back to back that makes it clear. The guy who got hit with the tire iron only once was mechanically unable to continue. The guy stabbed a hell'va a lot times in the neck, chest, and ab, fought on for at least ten minutes, prior to bloodloss calming him down.

Aaron "fucking ignorant yetti that I am" Fields
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast