is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 11:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Hmm but if the knees travel father forward and you are activating the Hips/Glutes and driving back at the same time it would increase the stretch in the hamstrings/hip flexors etc therefore you'd get greater hip drive and more work would be done with the posterior chain than the quads?
    If I'm reading you correctly, what you're describing won't happen. The distance your knees can move forward and the distance your hips can move backward are limited by each other and the length (and angle) of your femur.

Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Dunno about all that, but from personal experience, the more my knees went forward, the more the f**king hurt! :)
    See this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    I really can't see that - besides you are supposed to keep your knees directly over your ankles.

I squat on a box to work my form - at my coach's behest.
    Compare this (quads) and this (hips).

Also, speaking of box squats:

Problem # 3: You are not sitting back far enough. If you don't sit back far enough you are decreasing the work on the glutes and hamstrings and putting it on the quads. Make sure to sit back so your knees stay in line with your heels.
    -Louie Simmons

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 12:04pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Ok, I did a workout last night. I made sure to squat stretch beforehand and noticed some improvement.

I'm lifting in flat soled Vans.

I was still falling forward at the bottom of my lifts. I will try and work on sitting back as was suggested above and not let my knees go as far forward.

I was unable to get video but will try and remember this Sunday.
    Curl your toes up. It'll make you sit back on your heels more.

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 12:13pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss

See this.

Interesting, thanks. THough I am doing a powerlifting squat, and that is what stronglifts 5x5 is set for. I could well be getting knee pain when I dont do this as much from many years of mountainboarding, and landing on my knees from 6ft jumps at 20 mph...

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 1:28pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Curl your toes up. It'll make you sit back on your heels more.
    That's EXACTLY what I have begun to do and I've noticed a huge improvement. Combined with the squat stretches I'm feeling much better bout the squats.

Now, the next question. 5x5 says you should avoid assisted pull up machines. However at this point I don't even have the upper body strength to hang, or slow my descent as they suggest. Should I use an assisted machine to build up some strength then transition to hanging or resisting my descent once I can handle it?

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 1:32pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seriously - jump up and pull yourself up. at least try to hang. i went from zero to 7 pullups. granted...my progress was ridiculously slow. took me about 6 months. you will develop the strength - just dont use that assistance machine. i used to bang out pullups on those but when it came to doing just one regular.....NADA!!!

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 1:53pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Why the huge difference? The e-book cites that you don't have to "balance" yourself on the assisted machine but I would hope there is more to it then that......

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's basically it. When your lower body is in contact with the assist surface, it's not just applying vertical force to assist you in going up. There's also horizontal force from friction between your knees and the surface. That's why it feels different.

When you say you don't have enough strength to hang, are you talking about a grip strength limitation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 6:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    That's EXACTLY what I have begun to do and I've noticed a huge improvement. Combined with the squat stretches I'm feeling much better bout the squats.

Now, the next question. 5x5 says you should avoid assisted pull up machines. However at this point I don't even have the upper body strength to hang, or slow my descent as they suggest. Should I use an assisted machine to build up some strength then transition to hanging or resisting my descent once I can handle it?

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't. Try forced negatives. Allow yourself to be in the completed chin up posistion and then fight the negative all the way down. Repeat until failure x3.

Start with chin ups, they are easier.

Edit: Didn't read your post properly... Is it a grip problem? I'm not a massive fan of straps but I guess they could be used here whilst you build up your grip on deadlifts.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345