Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 11:22am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

5x5 Questions.....

I'm a week and a half into the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I have two questions.

One, what is a good starting dead lift weight? I have a squat max of around 250lbs. I tried dead lifting 135lbs the first week and it was far, far too easy. The second week I tried 225lbs. Also far, far too easy. What should I bump it up to for next time?

Two, I'm re-learning to squat. When I used to lift I would not go down to 90 degrees. Instead stopping around 50 degrees. Suffice to say I did not want to continue like this so have made a serious effort to improve my form, go down to 90 degrees etc. However I have noticed a serious bend in my lower back as I approach 90. I know this is bad form. In the 5x5 manual they recommend "low-bar" squats as a way to avoid this bending. I currently squat high bar as it is all I've ever known.

I tried to squat 'low-bar" and simply can not get it to work. I try to follow the steps outlined in the book but it just does not feel right. I asked the trainer at my gym and he had never heard of low-bar squats.

Suggestions?

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 11:32am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do squat stretches. Mehdi links them off the 5x5 article. They will definitely help with your squats. I'd never done either squats before, and I found that the low bar sits nicely behind my traps.

On the deadlifts, I'd just try putting it up by 20lbs, every time you do them, rather than going for huge jumps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 11:32am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ramp up your deadlift 10 pounds or so every set till you are comfortable. I usually stack on about 10-20 lbs each session when I'm doing a new lift. So I started squats ~3 weeks ago and went from 135 to 205 in about 4 or 5 sessions.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the squat issue is a lack of hip flexibility? I found the entry in the book. I'll try those and see if they help.

I'm ramping up the dead lifts by ten pounds a session. I think I'll stick with the 225lb base and work up from there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    I'm a week and a half into the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I have two questions.

One, what is a good starting dead lift weight? I have a squat max of around 250lbs. I tried dead lifting 135lbs the first week and it was far, far too easy. The second week I tried 225lbs. Also far, far too easy. What should I bump it up to for next time?

Two, I'm re-learning to squat. When I used to lift I would not go down to 90 degrees. Instead stopping around 50 degrees. Suffice to say I did not want to continue like this so have made a serious effort to improve my form, go down to 90 degrees etc. However I have noticed a serious bend in my lower back as I approach 90. I know this is bad form. In the 5x5 manual they recommend "low-bar" squats as a way to avoid this bending. I currently squat high bar as it is all I've ever known.

I tried to squat 'low-bar" and simply can not get it to work. I try to follow the steps outlined in the book but it just does not feel right. I asked the trainer at my gym and he had never heard of low-bar squats.

Suggestions?
    1. If your max squat is 250lbs, aim your next deadlift at something between 250lbs and 275-300lbs for 3 to 5 reps and see how it feels. Threat each rep like a single set since you are just trying to find your range.

2. Tigh glutes and/or hip flexors can tilt your pelvis, curving your lower back. Stretch your glutes, hamstrings, your entire back after squatting, and your ankles and your hip flexors before squatting. For hip flexors, use the samsom's stretch. One caveat, though: lower the amount of weight you are using for the next couple of weeks as you increase your flexibility. Increasing your flexibility for squatting *might* weaken you as it could bring other inflexibilities to light. So, just play it safe and avoid doing any max squats until you are comfortable with your new flexibility and form.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I'm on the 5x5 and am still trying to get my form down I'm only squatting 145lbs. Which is surprisingly hard after 25 reps.

I will take your suggestions to the trainer at my gym and see if I can devise a stretching regimen. Thanks a ton.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly is the problem with low bar squats? Most folks tend to love them.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem, I just can't figure out how to do them for the life of me. I also can't seem to find someone who can teach me.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... Or if in one of my various attempts I'm actually doing it properly then I can't tell as I don't know precisely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kind of asking for the specifics here man. I don't really know how to help you without them.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast