Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

maintenance lifting

I started a new lifting program during the summer months (about 4 months ago) and made some pretty significant gains but now that the university term is starting up again I'm finding it hard to squeeze my 2-3 times per week heavy resistance training into my schedule.

During the summer I was training kickboxing/bjj/MMA 4 times per week and doing my weight training 2-3 days per week. During the school year I run a recreational jiujitsu club at the university so I'm essentially training 6-7 days per week.

It may be possible to get 1 day in for weight training and I was wondering if it would be possible to maintain my gains with that lone session plus BWE exercises essentially every night as part of my MA classes... My current regimen is very similar to that from Starting Strength, I had been alternating between an A and a B workout as follows:

A - Back Squat, Bench Press, Power Clean, Dips
    B - Back Squat, Push Press, Deadlift, Pullups

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To maintain GAINS? No. Maintainenece lifting is about maintaining your current strength level, and not letting it dip down. With your current schedule, I don't think you'll be pursuing strength gains in the immediate future.

The way I'd personally train it is to pick 3 movements to train on that day and train them. You could do a mini powerlifting meet (Squat, bench press, deadlift) or hit your squat, power clean, and push press, or something along those lines. With the ridiculous training volume you have presently, it'd be difficult to do anything further.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant maintaining what I had gained, not keep gaining. I know there's no way I'm going to make gains training once a week.

So training an exercise once every other week will help me from losing my current strength (or at least keeping some of it)?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there's a fairly straightforward way to obtain an answer for any arbitrary training question: try it and measure the results. Specifically, if you're going to perform a few important exercises once per week, keep track of either 1) how hard it is to lift a given weight or 2) how much weight you can lift at a given level of effort. If the difficulty's going up or the weight's going down, you're not maintaining your strength.