Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guys at my club said the Sirius gi's were really comfortable to wear and very soft. They are also quite hot though.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But new gi's have not stood the test of time yet. Lets see how they look and feel, but most importantly perform after about 50 washes. I ain't knocking Sirius gi's. I am just not jumping on the bandwagon until I see some dirty ass ragged Sirius gi covered in old blood spots with yellow armpits still holding strong where the knees haven't been ripped out and the seams are all together.

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 7:58pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    But new gi's have not stood the test of time yet. Lets see how they look and feel, but most importantly perform after about 50 washes. I ain't knocking Sirius gi's. I am just not jumping on the bandwagon until I see some dirty ass ragged Sirius gi covered in old blood spots with yellow armpits still holding strong where the knees haven't been ripped out and the seams are all together.
    I'm pretty sure my Atama goldweaves are going to outlive me. My white one has started to discolor a little, but nothing a little bleach won't fix (I know everyone says don't do this, but I know a couple people that have, and they've come out ok). I've been using it about 6 hours a week for the last year and a half.

My blue Atama goldweave has worn like iron for the last year, with about the same use as the white. As near as I can tell, it has barely faded. The collar is good as new.

Say what you will about Atama, but they've never done me wrong.

Yrkroon9: Out of curiousity, exactly what circumstances on this planet would lead you to lend your prized gi to anyone? And what brand was it, Ouano?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 8:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. It was my Ouano. The old school double weave that hasn't been made in years.

Here is the circumstance. There was a kid, a friend, who trained at the same gym I did. He was 16 when he got his gi and obviously outgrew that **** pretty fast. And we were headed to a tournament. He needed another gi badly. And my Ouano was just a little small for me. So I offered it to him.

He never returned it. Months went by of me asking for it. I had a sneaking suspicion it got ruined or something because he never wore it to class.

And then I got kicked from the gym. Never to see these guys again and the chances of me getting this gi back is about ohhhh I dunno. 1 in 1,000,000?

The easiest thing to do was try to buy another.

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Recently (like yesterday) I contacted a manufacturer/retailer to see if he could score one of the 'old school' double weaves no longer produced. They only sell Gold Weaves now. But my old double weave was like wearing plate mail. I am not exagerating when I say that 4 years after purchase the jacket could actually stand up by itself. No joke. The fabric was so rough that it would take skin off peoples fingers because it was so rough. The collar was so thick it was probably illegal. Nobody wanted to grip that sucker. The pants were canvas and would give people burns on thier knuckles it was so fucking rough. I won more competitions in that gi than any other. When I wore it I was invincible.
    I hope my Atama double weave has kevlar in it or some ****. I rolled against a guy wearing a blue one tonight and couldn't grab the material on his back during a drill.

Of course, Atama *mailed* me the gi Express when I paid for UPS Worldwide Express, so I bitched at them today and they should have another order flying past it for arrival tomorrow morning. I then have three nights to pound the crap out of it and get the flags on for the tournament.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 11/10/2005 12:33am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2005 4:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If money is no object: Koral MKM

I've had mine for nearly a year and a half now, and it still feels as good as when I first wore it. Never had a better gi.

Of course, for what you pay for it, you'd be pissed if it wasn't.

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 6:30pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikkoman
    I have a gi question myself. I might be starting BJJ soon. Should I get one of those gi's with the really thick collar that no one can grap? Or is that considered cheating or bad? Should I get an ordinary Judo gi?

What kind of gi's do people actually wear in BJJ classes (not competitions)?
    I'd suggest asking the instructor at whatever school you want to train at. They usually can get discounts for you. I suggest that whatever brand you go with, you'd want to go with a gi cut for bjj that's goldweave. Best combination of breathability, lightness, and sturdiness, in my opinion.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest you skip my posts entirely then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 12:34am

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if u r just starting jits, get a $50 atama judo gi. no need to have 50 patches and a $300 gi and still get your ass handed to you when u r on the mat. besides...if you quit....$50 is not a lot.

www.jokerjitsu.com has reviews for a bunch of different gi manufacturers

i got an A2 Keiko blue limited edition if anyone want to buy it off of me :P
    only been used 3x and washed twice....just a little long for me.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 7:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    Century is good.

White doesn't stay clean, but tha'ts not the point.

I wouldn't suggest getting anything but a white one until you're enough of a badass to wear something else and then spar a little.

I still wear white. :)

Uh yeah, I only want a white one, because I wanted to be Kim Kapkwhan from KOF2 for Halloween... yeah... that's it...
    Are we talking single or double weave? Cause I had a century doubel weave gi and hated it...for the money it sucks.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast