Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try HCK i have one of their gi's and it's great

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:37am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard nothing but good things about Sirius gis, if that's what you're talking about.

What's wrong with the Atama gold?

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral Koral

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:38am

Style: BJJ/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keiko Raca gis offer great bang for the buck. My 2+ year old special edition Raca still looks like new even though it's been in heavy use. They're very comfortable too. They're shrink-to-fit (which in my opinion is better than pre-shrunk), so be sure to get one that has some extra to begin with.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want bang for your buck or is money no option?

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guys at my club are now selling Sirius and they love them. They used to sell Atama, KF and MKimonos but now only sell Sirius.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 2:00am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies gentleman

Yes i have been hearing good things about Sirrus, but anyone have any specifics on why they like/prefer these gis? I have also heard good things about Keiko Raca and Koral.

garbanzobean-> I have had the gi for approx 4 months and i train 5 days a week. The pants are falling apart (at the knees), and the jaket, just seems like it is poorly made, and It does not fit all that well [really short sleaves (as in up to my forearm), and to baggy in the waist], maybe i just got a bad gi? The Single weave is alright, i have had the same problems with the knees, but this top is way to big (both the single and gold weave are size A2) and i cannot srink it no matter what i have done. So i have been less than impressed with Atama's sizing/fit.

Yrkoon9-> Money is always an option....but having said that i train a lot and do not mind dropping good coin on a quality product (seeing as i will get a lot of use out of it), so in this particular case, money is no option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I picked up a Sirius Patriot gi for $99 a month or two ago, and I'm completely happy with it. The gold weave fabric is very sturdy but supple; it was softer out of the box than my Seishin double weave is after two years. The jacket is much more form fitting & unlike the Seishin hasn't shrunk to the point that the sleeves are too short . The pants are very comfortable & have a much improved drawstring.

this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.siriusathleticwear.com/Ki...uedetail2.html

their customer service is also outstanding, and they're very quick to answer e-mails. Bonus points for making them in a family-owned non-sweatshop in Central America.

Edited to add: looks like they're having a 10% off sale right now ... the Patriot gi is down to $90.
    Last edited by G8; 11/09/2005 3:51pm at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeaaaah....okay.....make one out of a bedspread or something. Or sheer some sheep and spin your own wool, bust out a loom, carve your own needle out of animal bones and make one yourself.

Anyways, for dollar value Ouano is the way to go. For durable gi I would say Atama are industry standards. If you want to compare to them it is usually about personal preference. Some people say Koral pants suck. Some say that Gameness gi's are not held to a real 'standard' meaning you just don't know what you are going to get. Krugans pants are thin and they shrink.

People right now are all buzzing about Sirius gi's. But if you follow the trends they did the same about Koral. And of course if you remember back in the late 90's it was all about HCK. The cycle goes on. Sirius sponsored a few vocal types with free gi's and they laud them on places like jiujitsugear. I will give it some time before I jump on that bandwagon. They might be the best thing since sliced bread. But time will tell. And IMHO this product needs to be tested and reviewed more before I buy one.

For example Mkimonos just came out with a new style. Background is Machado Kimono's almost went out of buisness and could not come up with material or gi's. So they released a new Lutador Americano gi fabric that is supposed to be between the old gold weave and the double weave. But with this gi I will have to wait until the market can review it. It may be the next bandwagon. It may be greater than sliced bread. Or it might just suck so bad its like wearing tissue paper. We just don't know yet.

I've had a zillion gi's. Every one of them had something I liked. Recently (like yesterday) I contacted a manufacturer/retailer to see if he could score one of the 'old school' double weaves no longer produced. They only sell Gold Weaves now. But my old double weave was like wearing plate mail. I am not exagerating when I say that 4 years after purchase the jacket could actually stand up by itself. No joke. The fabric was so rough that it would take skin off peoples fingers because it was so rough. The collar was so thick it was probably illegal. Nobody wanted to grip that sucker. The pants were canvas and would give people burns on thier knuckles it was so fucking rough. I won more competitions in that gi than any other. When I wore it I was invincible.

But I made the mistake of loaning it out. And will never see it again.

So I have sent 3 emails with this guy and he is going to check storage and a few other places to locate me a gi that is no longer made. Personal preference and the test of time. They mean more to me than brand, appearance, bandwagon status, or cost.

I will have another gi like this. No matter what.
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast