222001 Bullies, 4011 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roger Gracie Vie Academy

The Vie Academy is a fully equipped Gym that offers classes in Boxing, Thai Boxing, KSW and BJJ. The BJJ School is a Roger Gracie Affiliate and is the subject of this review.

The main instructors are Cesar Lima and Eddie Perreira, Brown and Purple belts respectively. Both are active in the competition scene and are extremely talented.

Classes are at slightly different times throughout the week (see below) but are on Monday-Saturday comprising a day time class and both beginner and advanced classes in the evening, plus an open mat on Friday evening.

A typical class will consist of a warm up, drilling, specific sparring and then full sparring. As Eddie is also a personal trainer in the Vie Gym, his warm ups tend to be a lot harder, with a full half hour devoted to aerobic fitness and endurance in the longer classes. We then finish up with a warm down and/or stretching.

Class sizes are always a good size, giving you a variety of partners without there being so many people that it's hard to roll. There are punch bags up but are only really used by the Boxing and MT guys. The training area is, as you would expect, fully matted, with the only negative being the two pillars in the middle of the room. This is only a minor problem though. In the training room there is a huge fan to keep things cool and a stereo that seems to be looping Rancid and other Punk bands. Prices vary depending on how long you want to sign up for - 12 months meant that I pay 59 p/m for unlimited training. With a little extra on top you also get to use the gym facilities.

The changing rooms are very nice, with large lockers provided for valuables. There is also a large shower area with Swimming Pool and Sauna available.

Overall I love training at the Vie Academy and would recommend it to anyone in the area who wants to learn BJJ. The instruction is exceptional and the atmosphere is like one big family. The guys who compete almost always win medals and there is a friendly rivalry that keeps us all trying to find new ways to improve. There are also interclub competitions to help give the new guys a taste of what it is really like to go full contact.

Monday

13:30 -14:30 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Mixed Level
    18:00 - 19:00 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Beginners
    19:00 - 20:00 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Advanced

Tuesday

13:30 - 14:30 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Mixed
    18:00 - 19:00 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Advanced
    19:00 - 20:00 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Beginners

Wednesday

18:15 - 19:15 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Beginners
    19:15 - 20:45 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Advanced

Thursday

12:30 - 13:30 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Mixed
    18:15 - 19:45 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Advanced
    19:45 - 20:45 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Beginners

Friday

18:00 - 19:00 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Beginners
    19:00 - 20:30 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Advanced

Saturday

11:00 - 12:00 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Advanced
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n819265076_2452768_3165.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	9416  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n819265076_3197812_8785.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	9417  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n819265076_3197816_1301.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	9418  

Last edited by Asriel; 9/09/2008 8:42am at .
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 10:35am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice overview. Thanks for that.

The other important question. How much does it cost?

Cheers

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 12:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thing dude ;)

It varies depending on how long you sign up for. I went for a year and pay 59 or something like that
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 5:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thing dude ;)

It varies depending on how long you sign up for. I went for a year and pay 59 or something like that
    Ah, of course, Thank You. It's my glasses and I've noticed my short range vision is going so bi-focals beckon.

Oh, good lord.

Cheers

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 5:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You coming down then Mr hardon?

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 6:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    You coming down then Mr hardon?
    Well, I dunno. I'm casting around to supplement what I've learned and groundwork is a big gap in my knowledge - although obviously I've done a fair bit in the past, it needs structure and practise. I'm going to a seminar held by 5th Dan JJ/3rd Dan Judo in a couple of weeks and although I learn huge amounts, I never have anyone to practise with so it becomes 'lost'.

However there's a couple of Judo options not too far from me so I might explore that.

I've also been looking at the londonfightfactory website as I know a couple of students who also attend there and speak well of it.

I also used Slidey's London BJJ lists and noted a new one at the Yan Haung CMA near Euston, and I actually cycle past this twice a day between work and home. One session here is a possiblity but the second is on my club training night.

Yes, casting around and thinking.

BTW, if I do turn up, you won't take much notice. I'm quite unprepossessing.

Cheers
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 9/10/2008 6:59am at . Reason: typos

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 7:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    I've also been looking at the londonfightfactory website as I know a couple of students who also attend there and speak well of it.
    I train there and I also heartily recommend it. I'd really suggest doing the beginner's class for at least a little bit, as well. Even people with pretty heavy Judo experience tend to look a little confused if they wander in while we're doing spider-guard passes or half-guard sweep counters...

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    I train there and I also heartily recommend it. I'd really suggest doing the beginner's class for at least a little bit, as well. Even people with pretty heavy Judo experience tend to look a little confused if they wander in while we're doing spider-guard passes or half-guard sweep counters...
    Thanks for the good word. No, I certainly wouldn't be forward and I would expect to begin at the beginning, it's much the best way. I've had the good fortune to have been invited to a couple of BJJ sessions with Eddie Kone (plus the invitation to his hosting Royce) and it was all good, so, as I say, best to start afresh and be guided by the instructor. (Mind you, not sure about the butt scuttling, it's just not me, really).

Now I think about it, how much do you pay? What are the options? I'm also interested in the Boxing - again, to improve the striking etc. The instructor is listed as "Gary" - which doesn't tell me much. It might be easier for me to visit my local St Pancras Boxing club - it's located next to the house I used to live in (it's behind) but the doors are locked owing to contract problems with The Kronk - yes, as in Emmanuel Steward (Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler were there for a union - if only I'd have known).

So, grateful for any info re costings. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I think about it, how much do you pay? What are the options?
    There are various pricing options for number of times per week and the various classes, best get in touch with Luiz and ask him. First class is always free, though.
    I'm also interested in the Boxing - again, to improve the striking etc. The instructor is listed as "Gary" - which doesn't tell me much. It might be easier for me to visit my local St Pancras Boxing club
    I haven't taken the class, to be honest. 'Gary' is the guy who runs http://www.citywarriors.co.uk/

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I know that dude, he's a personal trainer down at Fitness First in Spitalfields.

Have chatted to him and he's a nice guy, keep meaning to go to his classes as they're included in my gym membership.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast