Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 3:43am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually....gzk, DID that comment fire you up in a ****-you-I'll-show-you mode? If so, your coach knows you pretty well. If not, just tell him it doesn't help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 5:33pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the same situation as what would seem everyone here. I've been doing a class which is a mix of Judo/jujitsu/wrestling with some integrated striking for about two and a half years now (not as consistently as I should, but school comes first) and I have my first BJJ tourny in two weeks.

But my instructors seem to have handled me way differently. While I have to win to pass the sparring requirement for a blue belt, I had kind of been led to believe that my coaches would never ask me to do something that I wasn't perfectly capable of. After rolling today my BJJ coach said he actually thought I could win it now. Maybe I just worship my instructors too much, but I personally feel that if they say I can do it, then by god I'm going to crush some people (of course now that I said that I'm going to be submitted in the first match), and the boost in confidence has definitely helped on the mat with my friends outside of the dojo.

If my coach told me I was fodder I would just trust his judgment and only go if he said I needed the competition experiance.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyduh
    But my instructors seem to have handled me way differently. While I have to win to pass the sparring requirement for a blue belt, I had kind of been led to believe that my coaches would never ask me to do something that I wasn't perfectly capable of. After rolling today my BJJ coach said he actually thought I could win it now. Maybe I just worship my instructors too much, but I personally feel that if they say I can do it, then by god I'm going to crush some people (of course now that I said that I'm going to be submitted in the first match), and the boost in confidence has definitely helped on the mat with my friends outside of the dojo.

If my coach told me I was fodder I would just trust his judgment and only go if he said I needed the competition experiance.
    This is a good point; particularly where you usually have to sink at least $60-$80 to even fight in one division. This doesn't include gas or food for the road trip to the tourney.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345