Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 5:27am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    As far your coach's comment, without knowing him I have no idea. Maybe he was joking? It's certainly an... uh, unusual way to motivate.
    Unusual? Every coach I ever had, noticed I need to get fired up a little to perform at my best and as soon as they knew this, the casual insults wouldn't stop until after the last fight at a competition.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quit being a child and grow a pair.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't whining, I just found it unusual. Would you not think it was unusual?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 6:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/CM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Syberia, by any chance did you enter the 63-67 weight class and fight a small younger guy with an ISO health t-shirt for your first round?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 6:55am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    Would you not think it was unusual?
    No. See above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 10:17am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    I wasn't whining, I just found it unusual. Would you not think it was unusual?
    Waaa, My coach called me Fodder, what do I do guys?!!?

Toughen up for gods sake.

Do you suck or something? Are you lazy? Do you find excuses not to do drills/warm-ups etc? I'm voting that it was a kick in the ass.

There's a guy at my gym constantly crieed about some imagined injury. First he was going to have a "heart attack" then his "knee was busted" then his "back was busted". He was just out of shape, which we all told him at first.

The funny thing is, he could run for 2 miles just fine on his "Busted knee" and had no "heart attacks" during this either. We all got so irritated with his whining that we nick-named him "Sandy" because we said he had sand in his vagina. The funny thing is, now the guy shows up regularly, complains about 1% as much as he used to, and is usually the last one to leave the mat. Us giving him a tiny bit of crap to motivate him worked, and it's probably the same thing your coach feels you need.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Waaa, My coach called me Fodder, what do I do guys?!!?

Toughen up for gods sake.

Do you suck or something? Are you lazy? Do you find excuses not to do drills/warm-ups etc? I'm voting that it was a kick in the ass.

There's a guy at my gym constantly crieed about some imagined injury. First he was going to have a "heart attack" then his "knee was busted" then his "back was busted". He was just out of shape, which we all told him at first.

The funny thing is, he could run for 2 miles just fine on his "Busted knee" and had no "heart attacks" during this either. We all got so irritated with his whining that we nick-named him "Sandy" because we said he had sand in his vagina. The funny thing is, now the guy shows up regularly, complains about 1% as much as he used to, and is usually the last one to leave the mat. Us giving him a tiny bit of crap to motivate him worked, and it's probably the same thing your coach feels you need.
    Yes, I suck. No, I'm not lazy. I do anything and everything asked of myself or the class the best I can. I don't bitch about imagined injuries or general soreness. I gas out sometimes, that's about it. i miss training only for genuine injuries (muscle tears, joint spasms, etc) in accorrdance with physio's advice, contagious illness, family engagements or training for another sport that clashes and only has once a week training. I probably need to get more organized about what I'm trying to get out of rolling and continue losing weight. if you want to call that lazy, ok, I'll take that.

I have played various sports for about 18 years and never had a coach say anything like that, so I found it unusual. As I said in the OP, my /guess/ was that it was supposed to be motivation, on the basis that he probably wasn't being a dick.. If it turns out that that's a common way to motivate students, great, that confirms my guess. If you think asking that question is whining, then so be it, but you're wrong.
    Last edited by gzk; 9/15/2008 5:38pm at . Reason: stray quote tag

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're the reason why they don't keep score in T-ball.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw a tantrum, burn some bridges and switch to another gym where they pamper you with gifts and wipe your ass for you.

Nah, not really. Just ignore it until you know what's it for if it doesn't get you fired up. You could always tell him that if it's meant to motivate you it doesn't really work. Maybe he'll go another route and rape you in sparring after that until you GTFO or fire up.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 3:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at when you started your log, I'm guessing you're either a slow advancing whitebelt or a baby blue. Either way, your coach is right, you're probably fodder for others.

Or you just caught your coach on a bad day.
    If it is any consolation, when it comes to competition, I'm pretty much fodder too.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast