Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 10:26pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Elite Combat Academy

Well I have an objective view so I will try to be as non-bias as possible. We have a few different programs to choose from.

MMA: Instructor, Brent Mason, Pro MMA 1-1, Amature 11-4,
    Brent is a friendly and very approachable person who will help anyone with anything that ask about. The class mainly consist of stand-up, boxing, kickboxing. Although Mason preferred the stand up aspect of the fight game, he is knowledgeable about the ground with very good ground and pound technique. It is a 2 hour class which gives everyone enough time to ask questions and get responses. There is also a core group that trains at the "Garage", i.e., the PIT.

BJJ: Instructor, Matt Reed, brown belt under Carlos Machado, notable bjj medals, 3rd in 2007 Pan Ams, (after being a purple belt for about a month)
    Matt is a hardcore bjj stylist. Position before Submission. The class is 2 hours with a strenuous warm up. Sometimes the warm up is a little much but with medals around you neck when you leave tournaments you realizes its worth the pain. Very good instructor. Matt wrestled in high school and in college. Matt teaches every class and is always there. He takes his class very serious and is not big on passing out rank, as is his instructor. Once the warm up is done we move into technique. Then move on to training.

Judo: Instructor: David Ebarbe, Brown belt
    Probably my favorite instructor at the academy. David is a funny individual and a great Judo coach. This is the only class that is offered to kids. Kids classes are very high impact to keep the kids moving and interested. As far as the adults a quick warm up then about an hour of technique. Then train. David is good hearted and always quick with a joke. He keeps the class very traditional. He does not teach all the 60 some odd throws over the Kodakan, but he teaches the ones that translate well to bjj.

Akido, Kajakemdo: Instructor, Bill Ross,
    Don't know much about it, but I can say Bill is knowledgeable about what he teaches. He is a black belt in both arts he teaches.

Boxing: Mark Peters
    Mark is a talented boxer than has been fighting professional for almost twenty years. He is known for his ability to really work the body and take a hell of punch. Boxing stats enclosed.
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...7292&cat=boxer
    Last edited by gandp1120; 11/06/2009 7:40pm at .

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very Honest review. Totally agree.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is where I train also. I do Kajukenbo with Bill Ross and Judo with David Ebarb. Also, Chris (forgot his last name, I think it's Williams) offers a wrestling class on the weekend. He is a very good wrestler who went to High School Nationals and the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Bill Ross is a very good martial artists, but more of a traditional MA. He will give you all of the tools you need to fight and defend yourself, but you will need to go to one of the other classes to test your skills. He will admit he is not the best grappler and recommends supplementing your training with Judo and/or BJJ. He is a good teacher with very little ego.

David Ebarb is probably one of the funniest people I have ever met. His kids' Judo class is awesome where he mixes Judo, newaza/bjj, and wrestling. His adult class is great with a mix of Judo, Sambo, Newaza/BJJ, and Wrestling. David has been all of the world and has trained in many different countries.

I never trained with Matt Reed, but I have heard good things about him and his classes. Unfortunately he took a contracting job in Iraq. Hopefully he comes back to teach once it's up.

I never been to Brent's class either, but I have rolled with him and he is very strong for his size. He is a professional MMA fighter. I plan on going to his classes a few times a month soon to work on and test my standup.

If you live in the Shreveport area and are not training here, then you are crazy. We offer something for everyone.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Brent Mason? The best country guitarist in the world also does MMA? I gotta get on that.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 10:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I currently train at Gracie Jiu Jitsu of West Monroe but may be moving back to shreveport for work at the beginning of next year. It would be nice to at least have a place to roll.

I've trained a bit with Justin Cox or as we call him over here King Leonides lol.

I'm currently a blue belt and one of the assistant instructors here at the school.

Justin said he was taking up some of the instruction duties over there not sure if that ever materialized. He was also talking about getting affiliated under our black belt Allen hopkins.

That would be awsome.

I knew matt had left. I trained with him a long time ago when he came over to our school for a black belt seminar. My dad and brother-in-law are Shreveport PD so I knew Matt through them.

How is the Jiu jitsu going over there now?

Mitch

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went here today rolled with John and a bearded rich franklin stunt double. Very nice, great people, good skills. I'm gonna be popping in periodically throughout the year when visiting. The owner was more than generous gave me a free shirt and refused a mat fee. Good stuff definitely coming back.

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 4:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this is the bearded Rich Franklin stunt double...Your the 3rd person to say I was a rich franklin look-a-like since I grew my beard out. Anyway thanks for the good roll and next time bring your gi. I've tried to land that roll-under triangle but limited success so far. Looking forward to having you back.

As far as a review goes...as honestly as possible I will say that we are a young school. Lots of experienced blues and one purple but we make up for experience with enthusiasm to learn. We bring in Black Belts as often as possible and travel 3+ hours to receive top notch instruction. Our MMA program has grown dramatically and now has 4 or 5 pro fighters that are doing quite well.

Feel free to stop in and train anytime.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 8:39pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

*UPDATE*

Since I first wrote about the school alot has happened. We have moved locations to a larger facility. The new address is 1240 Shreveport-Barksdale Hwy. We also lost some students who broke off to open their own school, but this has definitely not affect the core group of Elite. Our new head BJJ instructor is Justin Cox, Nova União purple belt, along with Jordan Pulliam, Chris Brennan purple belt, and me. Also Elite has enjoyed having a two-time All-American wrestler from Missouri coming in to train with us. We also started offering a Kids MMA program, although it is only taught once a week, we have high hopes for this program. Elite is soon to add a Cardio Kickboxing class to appeal to the people who just wanna get a good sweat on without getting punched. As far as having a good group to train with. For a place that three years ago had nothing but jokes for schools, Elite has brought a real quality of training to the Shreveport-Bossier area.
    Last edited by gandp1120; 10/18/2009 8:53pm at .