Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 11:03am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes setting bars into trees, garages or sheds are all you really need. At home I make use of a park nearby, with various levels and hights of bars, and at work I have a solid fire escape in the stair well. Haven't been caught yet grunting out the extra rep.

Perhaps grunting is one reason NOT to put it in your closet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 1:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your house have a basement? If so and the floor joists are exposed that would make a great place to have your bar as this area of the house would be very stable. Just another idea in case the closet one does not work out for you.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 1:47pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can actually do a pull-up..... I'm jealous.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried one of those door-mounted ones? I use it ay my gf's apartment so as not to leave any holes in the doorframe. Iron Gym is a really uh...cheap one if you can ignore the cheesy 'As Seen on TV' packaging and what not:
    http://www.buyirongym.com

Only thing is, it puts a bit of pressure on the upper part of the doorframe, so even if it doesn't leave holes, your doorframe should still be relatively sturdy. On the other hand, the alternative grip variety can be pretty nice (though there are a few laying around that offer even more).

Or, if you're quite the handyman, someone here has MADE one:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/No_S..._Bar_Door_Gym/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:47pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: is your brother, like, 13?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a decent gym within your travel range that you could go to? You might be able to dodge both the brother issue and the accidental-remodeling problem in one fell swoop.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 11:30pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Door Jamb / Door Frame Pullup bars are great, but if you do things like clapping pullups/chinups or other explosive movements*, you're going to **** up your door/house.

* - like clapping pushups. As you pull up, your hands leave the bar, clap, and re-grab the bar as you descent. A good variation to build strength when you're able to comfortably do 15-20 pullups/chinups.

Other strength-building option: Weighted pullups/chinups.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 12:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I have the same pull up bar. I moved three times since I've had it. No problems with damage to the door frame other than filling and painting the three screw holes on each side of the bar. Unless you're house is very shoddily constructed, I doubt there will be any damage.

The only legitimate reason I can see your dad refusing to let you install it is if you live in a mobile home (do they even have those in Norway?) or if your door jambs are stained rather than painted. Staining wood filler takes more time than simply repainting over filled holes.

I use to do fingertip pull ups using the door trim above the door instead of a bar, but after the trim came off a second time mid-pull up and dumped me on my ass, I decided to buy a pull up bar.
    From one carpenter to another, houses in Norway are built like this:

that **** ain't going anywhere!!

We could stick-frame, like, seven houses with that much wood!!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 6:52am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    From one carpenter to another, houses in Norway are built like this:

that **** ain't going anywhere!!

We could stick-frame, like, seven houses with that much wood!!
    Lol, brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Is there a decent gym within your travel range that you could go to? You might be able to dodge both the brother issue and the accidental-remodeling problem in one fell swoop.
    The nearest gym is only 15-20 minutes by bicycle(right next to my school), but it costs the equivilant of 52 $ per month, and it's filled with idiots I'd rather avoid. These are the kind of pricks who'll poke you in the sides while bench pressing because thye think they're funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Robdogg
    To the OP: is your brother, like, 13?
    Erm, looking back I was overreacting. But he has tried to beat me at jogging and swimming even though I've trained loads more than him in those things. But he does think his defendu book would help him beat me.... Even though he never practices. He's a little older ( but hell, you have 60 year old boojers who think their ninjas, I let him live in the illusion he can beat me.)

Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Have you tried one of those door-mounted ones? I use it ay my gf's apartment so as not to leave any holes in the doorframe. Iron Gym is a really uh...cheap one if you can ignore the cheesy 'As Seen on TV' packaging and what not:
    http://www.buyirongym.com

Only thing is, it puts a bit of pressure on the upper part of the doorframe, so even if it doesn't leave holes, your doorframe should still be relatively sturdy. On the other hand, the alternative grip variety can be pretty nice (though there are a few laying around that offer even more).

Or, if you're quite the handyman, someone here has MADE one:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/No_S..._Bar_Door_Gym/
    Hey, that no screws bar looked awesome, but it doesn't ship outside of the states.... An sadly I'm not that handy, thanks anyways though!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    The nearest gym is only 15-20 minutes by bicycle(right next to my school), but it costs the equivilant of 52 $ per month, and it's filled with idiots I'd rather avoid. These are the kind of pricks who'll poke you in the sides while bench pressing because thye think they're funny.
    That's a drag. Any other options? I ask because there's only so much chin-ups will do for you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast