Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rolling with a known druggie....

Two things brings this question to my mind. One is I was on another fighting forum and there was a very long thread about smoking weed and I was very surprised how many of the members/fighters there did. I know marijuana is far from a hard drug but that brings up another thing. I was walking around my town yesterday during our annual heritage festival and walked past a guy that I know who is a heroin junkie. I am a police officer and I arrested this guy last year on his way from from MMA training for possession of needles and heroin. He admitted that he had just shot up earlier that morning and then went to his school and trained. I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I don't know if this guy still trains but there could be a good chance that the school I want to attend is the same that he attends if he is still training. Would I be doing myself and everyone else a dis-service by not saying something to the owner/coach of the school? Is this a can of worms best left unopened?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:50am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd worry about your own training and look after your wallet. If he's shooting up any amount he won't be training for long, he'll need the money for **** and his body won't be up to it. If he's one of the few that can take it or leave it then there shouldn't be a problem.
    Are you worried because he's a bag-head Per se or because of the possible health implications?

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say anything to the school owner. Just let it play out. Drugs are pretty nasty, they effect your whole life. If anything I would try to help the guy but the decision is up to him. I think it would be cool that you show up there just to train. Odds are he will hall ass and not come back. He is gonna know that you are watching him. But maybe, just maybe he will change his life. Otherwise screw it. Get in some good training.

is badder than you

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope your immunizations are up to date.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a really good point. The health implications. I didn't think about that. Could have all kinds of stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that is the big thing. The health issues. Since he is an IV drug user it is hard to say what he has. I mean it is really hard to say what anyone could have but knowing that a person is a needle user in my experience as a LEO for the past 8 years I have known several users that have died from AIDS and I would safely guess that 90% of the users I know are at least hep. C positive. My fear would not be so much fighting against that guy because it would be easy enough to refuse but what about all the other people that HAVE fought against him? They have potentially been exposed. And I know that chances are that this guy is not the first nor will he be the last IV drug user that comes through the doors of any MA school in Anytown, USA, but to know that someone is 100% is just a different feeling.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 11:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But like Who? says, chances are he is not even training anymore because this drug eventually consumes the user's life but there are the few that can still somewhat function despite the addiction. I guess I would have to play it by ear and if I start training at a particular school in my area and find out he is at the same one and still actually training, then I guess I would decide at that point whether to say something. Good thing is, the school I really want to check out is owned by a LEO or ex-LEO, not sure if he is still working or not so at least he would understand where I am coming from.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 11:27am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Good thing is, the school I really want to check out is owned by a LEO or ex-LEO, not sure if he is still working or not so at least he would understand where I am coming from.
    I guess that would be different. You know you'll tell him, both being LEO

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 11:56am

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I would say just keep it to yourself. If his habit starts hurting other students then go to the teacher. Cause from what I read, youre the new guy to the group, no use starting out on a bad foot. But if he starts dealing to other students, then you should go to the teacher in my opinion.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 12:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Who?
    I guess that would be different. You know you'll tell him, both being LEO
    Not true. I would not tell him just because of that but it would make it easier if it come to that. Like dozer says, I would be the new guy and I definitely don't want to cause waves from the beginning or be a snitch but I don't want to see others get hurt or me myself get hurt because of some dirtball. Yeah, if I thought he was dealing that would be a no brainer. I would blow the whistle to local authorities as well as to the owner of the school. But his personal use of the drugs is his own business until others potentially become victims as well. I guess I will have to see if any of this even is an issue at this point. Just those couple things I mentioned in my first post brought the question up in my head so I thought I would ask just to see what the thoughts of others were on the subject.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast