Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi!! New to Taekwondo sparring

Hi there!

Glad to have found this forum and i have a problem with myself...

seems like everytime during sparring session, i will just freeze there and not sure what to do.. :5arg:

Can someone please advise me how to move and stop being so scared???

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, Silly.orange, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Style
    Fling Shit Hi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi

What did your intructor say when you asked him/her?

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is really something you need to discuss with your instructor.

Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly.orange
    Hi there!

Glad to have found this forum and i have a problem with myself...

seems like everytime during sparring session, i will just freeze there and not sure what to do.. :5arg:

Can someone please advise me how to move and stop being so scared???
    What DerAuslander said, but I can offer some opinions. Just be aware that advise on sparring over the internet isn't your best option.

How long have you been doing TKD? Have you ever done any other MA or been in many fights before? If the answer to the second question is "no" and the answer to the first is anything less than six months, then my advise is to just be patient. Until you've been hit hard a few times and realize that it's not the end of the world, then your fear of being hit will out weigh most everything else. This is a natural response and there would be something wrong with you if if you didn't have it. Gradually, once you realize that getting hit sucks but is not the end of the world, you'll be able to focus more on hitting the other guy. No matter how good you get, you want to have a little fear, though, because that is going to continue to motivate you to avoid getting hit and facing down that fear is also part of the rush of sparring/fighting. I would think that sparring/fighting would be pretty boring if one had no fear at all.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best advice: Understand that you're going to get hit, and just go in there trying to kick the other guy as hard as you can. Erase every thought from your mind except "KICK!". Kick the heavy bag, kick hand pads, kick people...just kick!

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silly.orange, what I needed to do in order to get started with sparring back when I had first started was to drill likely combinations a lot (i.e. jab, hook, cross) so that when I was under stress I could execute them from muscle memory.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Crazy bendy shit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Silly.orange, what I needed to do in order to get started with sparring back when I had first started was to drill likely combinations a lot (i.e. jab, hook, cross) so that when I was under stress I could execute them from muscle memory.
    QFT. If you've never had to hit someone, or your nervous about hitting your friend, you're gonna have to pretend they're the heavy bag for a while before you get comfortable enough to start looking for shots.

Of course getting hit seemed to help speed up the process for me.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all ur replies!

Actually im more worried about leg clashes!!

Thats my main problem.. It seems like my legs are always clashing with my friend...

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just fight.

You get over it.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last