Style
    Baji, XingYi, Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi! New to the forum

Salutations everyone! Just registered, I'm a martial arts enthusiast with emphasis in Chinese and Japanese martial arts. I've taken 4 years of Shorin-ryu karate (still learning, always learning!) and many years of chinese kung fu starting from internal exercises and chi kung at a young age, (possibly due to a cantonese background). I've gotten into Baji for 2 years, Jujitsu for 3 years and some Xing Yi. I despise McDojos and bitch about them to almost everyone in my social circle who brings up martial arts. Currently, I am dedicated to Baji/Piqua, Xing Yi and Jujitsu.

Martial Arts I'm currently interested/curious in are Aikido, Sanda, and some Chinese styles.

Hello again and thank you!

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! Sazabi posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    Judo newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice to have you post, and thanks for your background. I recommend the Chinese forums to lurk in for a while, as i know next to nothing about your styles.

Quick musing on your opinion though: what do you think of aliveness in your Baji and Xing Yi, and how do/would you use them in your sparring?

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, a Shorin-Ryu karateka! I've taken eleven months of Shorin-Ryu Shidokan karate so far, placing me firmly in the realm of "newbie", but my dojo is rather a bit of a McDojo, so I started training in Kyokushin as well to fulfill my needs for intensive workouts, kihon, and kumite.

It really breaks my heart to practice an art which teaches so many subtle throws and nasty joint manipulations in a fashion which completely fails to teach how to actually do any of them, even in a crazy aikido ballroom dance style fashion. I still hold onto the hope that, someday, sensei will actually teach us something beyond kata and simple techniques, or at least stop promoting us until he does.

Style
    Baji, XingYi, Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I had been taught Chi Kung, Tai Chi Quan, and Xing Yi by my uncle at a young age, his intention was for me to improve my overall health, start my internal conditioning and chi flow young so that I would develop what we call "explosive chi". Next time I return to Hong Kong for a lengthy stay he intends to take me to his sifu in Causeway Bay and learn Wing Chun and the Fighting methods of Tai Chi Quan. As for incorporating the Baji and Xing Yi I've currently learned, I'll honestly say that it's been hard. By no means am I to blame anyone but myself but I feel confident in practice and obtaining the explosive power during training, (and I've posted about this problem in another thread) But when it comes to using it in real sparring application I find it hard to "set-up" the explosive power. I face this problem more so with karateka's, MT boxers and people who just move about really randomly (this is addressed to a brawler newb i know but even though he's weak, he's fast and hard to catch). In any case, I find it hard to rely solely on Baji without going into karate striking techniques or leg sweeps. One thing I have an especially hard time with is using the "eight extremes" concept of Baji because I hardly use my shoulder to ram or hip to strike, so again I intend to learn and learn and hopefully get better at it!

As for Xing Yi, it really helps in terms of getting that explosive power out but the way Baji releases it is somewhat different from Xing Yi. Overall I'll try to incorporate it more in spars, the thing I'm working on at the moment is pure Baji, but the more I try the more I realize that I might have to use other styles with it. :(