Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 1:01pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my gym it didnt matter if you had no talent or skill. It didn't matter if on the inside you felt scared as hell every time (for years I had this feeling).

If you're young in the sport (OP) then don't worry about doing good or bad, just do what your coach says, and keep going. Asswhoopins happen, they're spose to. Sometimes you get hurt, heal up and go back. But really you'd be suprised how durable humans are. Aside from a few busted noses and I about ripped my left thumb off on people's elbows, I came through fine, with no insurance the whole time. (fighters are covered during fights by their fighter book)

*deleted several paragraphs*

After writing all this I've done some thinking. Perhaps forget everything I've said and go with this thought: What is your goal for this? Do you want to learn how to fight, have some good memories and move on. Or do you want to be an elite fighter like Ali, or Mayweather?

There's nothing wrong with pacing yourself and taking your time at fighting if that's all it is for you. But if you want to be pro, then get on a training rocket and go full blast, or there isnt much hope. I wanted the latter. I had the gym to do it, and that gym was a grinder. It ran off those who would turn and run. Anyone who stuck around, didnt give lip, and busted their ass each day, was looked after and they progressed fast.

Sometimes it would've been nice if the gym was easier, but each time I went in on Monday and Wednesday(always sparring days), I knew **** was going to hit the fan, and a lot of time I didnt really want to go. We would spar until you passed the thought of, "i can't do anymore". It's really important for someone with dreams of pro-fighting to go through that, because I think the real ring is going to be equally as unforgiving. And the best thing is when you feel that in round 5, and you're still there after round 10, you've done something worth a personal pat on the back.

A lot of it depends on your gym. At mine, you would never say, "Ah I dont feel like sparring today", or I don't feel like doing these sprints anymore today." There was no middle of the road allowed. Or you'd be put in the ring eventually(when you felt like it) with someone who could and would be instructed(whisper in the ear) to put it on your ass. It's not something I liked doing, but I was in that role a few times. I've sent a lot of people packing.. but NEVER someone who came in each day, worked hard, showed respect, did as they were told. Coach looked out for them.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people posting here are just chest thumping, ignore them.

99.9% chance you're not going to be sparring all-out on your first day; your instructor will start you off light and build the level of contact as you progress. Just focus on trying to do well, experimenting, and HAVING FUN and don't worry about the worst case.

Even if you get hit in the nose, it isn't going to automatically break, or even hurt necessarily. I guess it depends on the angle you get hit at. 16 oz gloves really help and if you're doing harder contact get headgear that offers decent facial protection.

That being said, I broke my nose twice sparring, it mended all fucked up so I couldn't breathe through it. Getting a broken nose doesn't make you tougher (and, bullshit, it doesn't make it harder to break/immune to pain in the future), it just makes you waste a grand on surgery. And, more bullshit, almost no one, including pro-fighters, spars all-out 100% of the time. You'd constantly be banged up and miss more training overall due to injuries.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Some people posting here are just chest thumping, ignore them.

99.9% chance you're not going to be sparring all-out on your first day; your instructor will start you off light and build the level of contact as you progress. Just focus on trying to do well, experimenting, and HAVING FUN and don't worry about the worst case.

And, more bullshit, almost no one, including pro-fighters, spars all-out 100% of the time. You'd constantly be banged up and miss more training overall due to injuries.

The first part is true. You might end up sparring for 15 seconds the first time, but you're spose to be fighting not ***** footing.

(2nd part) This must be a trend in other martial arts, but I've not seen it at all in boxing. The only time we've sparred light was maybe if we had a fight the next couple days. If there's a big new guy, he'd spar with someone who was smaller and more skilled, but that smaller person is spose to be cracking. Occasionally there is odd stuff, like good big guy sparring with only jab hand against smaller person. I can understand how you Muy Thai could be more prone to injury at full speed, shins banging knees, or in BJJ someone cranking on your joints. Boxing is a bit safer in this regard, you tend to just get hit in the face and belly. If you get hurt its either your hand on them, or a shoulder torqued too hard, or a busted nose.

Someone is watching the whole time, if you get hit with something out of a comic book, they'll halt it, give you and 8-count, maybe sort out if this guy is over your head, sometimes you'll just have to go through it. If you turtle up, they may be waiting for you to rally back and get a few licks back before they stop it.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    (2nd part) This must be a trend in other martial arts, but I've not seen it at all in boxing. The only time we've sparred light was maybe if we had a fight the next couple days.
    There is such a thing as medium too!

On a side note: I really like "hit with something out of a comic book". Excuse me, but I'm going to steal that and use it one day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 7:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    There is such a thing as medium too!

On a side note: I really like "hit with something out of a comic book". Excuse me, but I'm going to steal that and use it one day.
    :hello2: It's like being one of those dudes with the "POW" above their head when batman lays the smack down.:icon_bigg

One of my favorites, spread the word bruddah.

Forgive some of my post, I keep charging down the boxing line of thought and forget you guys have a lot of other adversity to contend with.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234