C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Redfern
    The thing that's always scared me about sparring is getting hit in the nose. I'm scared that I'll either get a broken nose, nose bleed or simply cop a lot of pain. Why doesn't this bother those who do full-contact sparring? Don't you guys ever cop punches in the middle of the face?
    Do you/did you spar at your wing chun school?

Fear evaporates with training.

Broken noses happen though, but not that often, don't worry.

Besides, a broken nose isn't the worst pain you can sustain during sparring/fighting by far.

As others have said before, proper technique, all recommended safety equipment and your sparring partner NOT being an asshole are mandatory.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:45pm

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Just start sparring and worry about it later. You will probably laugh at yourself for having given it this much thought. Good luck.
    Exactly

Here's my advice to the OP:

Don't be a *****.

I remember the first time I sparred: I was completely outclassed and I kept taking blows and asking for breaks after I couldn't handle the pain until I saw it as getting my repetitions done.

the more you get hit, the more you will be able to handle next time around. it's simple, it's something you get used to.

you are obiously anxious about sparring; you're not so sure of yourself- and that's okay. it's called being modest.

I guarantee you that there are many injuries out there that people will throw at you, but NOTHING is going to happen to you. unlike sports where running and balls are involved, fighting's pretty safe.

I got cut in the shin the other day for not wearing shin guards, and I didn't even notice it.

as a matter of fact, I've hit shin to shin, and knee to shin before and it hurt like hell. but dont let that scare you: you can handle it, just believe in yourself.

you might get punched in the eye and scratch your eyelid, you might get poked in the ye if you're wearing MMA gloves. You might hurt your toe if you suck at kicking, and you might **** up your ribs

My advice is that you keep your hands up to protect your face and protect your ribs and kidneys as much as you can, keep your chin down and stay on your toes while sparring.

and remember: most muay thai gyms are full of pussies anyway, unless you piss off one of the more experienced guys and said guy's an asshole, they will hesitate to hit you hard

one more thing: don't let ANYONE tell you "well if you're not tough/have a glass jaw/cant come to terms with this being a sport about busting the other guy's nose" bullshit. There is some truth to it, but second-guessing myself cost me Highschool wrestling. The only thing you have to do is be detremined and grow some balls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:55pm

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to summarise the last poster-

"Grasshopper......Don't be a *****, grow some balls and take the pain."

Wise words...I like their recipient shall ponder upon their meaning............

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:57am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Do you/did you spar at your wing chun school?

Fear evaporates with training.

Broken noses happen though, but not that often, don't worry.

Besides, a broken nose isn't the worst pain you can sustain during sparring/fighting by far.

As others have said before, proper technique, all recommended safety equipment and your sparring partner NOT being an asshole are mandatory.
    We spar once a week. Not nearly enough for my liking, and it's not full-contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 3:25am

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We spar once a week. Not nearly enough for my liking, and it's not full-contact.
    Can you organise extra training, or train somewhere else as well?
    Ive always organised extra training even when I used to be part of formal schools. Some of the best training was outside of the "formal setting".

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 3:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill
    Can you organise extra training, or train somewhere else as well?
    Ive always organised extra training even when I used to be part of formal schools. Some of the best training was outside of the "formal setting".
    ^^^What he said.

Tim, speak to folks in class who also think there's not enough sparring and meet up in your freetime.

You can also speak to the instructor and tell him you'd want more sparring and more intensive sparring.

Or, of course, option B is to leave your school.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:31am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to leave my martial arts school while I still live in Melbourne. I feel a strong connection to the place and I can genuinely say that the stuff they are teaching is good and effective... but yeah, I want more sparring. At school we have a martial arts club which has sparring sessions - I'm going to go along to more of them. I am also interested in starting Muay Thai or Pradal Serey after I finish high school, and no doubt such a style will have a lot more sparring involved. As for meeting up with other students in our spare time, that's an option I'm going to explore...

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...As for meeting up with other students in our spare time, that's an option I'm going to explore...
    I forgot to mention a great possibility to be used:
    attending Bullshido Throwdowns. There you are sure to find people from different MA backgrounds willing to spar and not kill you... A very valuable experience.

Check out the site's Throwdown section to find a TD near you.

With several BSD members in Australia, it should be easier for you than for me around here...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

" - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    one more thing: don't let ANYONE tell you "well if you're not tough/have a glass jaw/cant come to terms with this being a sport about busting the other guy's nose" bullshit. There is some truth to it, but second-guessing myself cost me Highschool wrestling. The only thing you have to do is be detremined and grow some balls.
    That didn't really make sense.

Bottom line, fighting makes you tougher through hard work and suffering. If you're not ready for either of those, what were you signing up for? To look cool like a movie scene?

It doesnt matter if you get knocked out, or get your nose broke. The guys that keep coming back are the fighters. The others will be gone quick as they came. The guys that didnt want to train day in and day out, or gave some lip, I was told to crack the **** out of them, and more than likely they'd not show up again. You have to show your heart, and work your ass off, and be respectful.

If you do all those things, your trainer will look out for you instead of 'having it out for you'. I usually take a few months off after a fight, but I don't show back up until I've put in a lot of work and am read for the grinder again. Each time I'd come back, she'd have it out for me. I'd take my licks and hold-fast for a couple of weeks, eventually I'd have my respect back.

There's nothing greater than earning that. Everyone doubts themselves at times, but when that bell rings, you better be thinking about chomping.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 12:37am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    That didn't really make sense.

Bottom line, fighting makes you tougher through hard work and suffering. If you're not ready for either of those, what were you signing up for? To look cool like a movie scene?

It doesnt matter if you get knocked out, or get your nose broke. The guys that keep coming back are the fighters. The others will be gone quick as they came. The guys that didnt want to train day in and day out, or gave some lip, I was told to crack the **** out of them, and more than likely they'd not show up again. You have to show your heart, and work your ass off, and be respectful.

If you do all those things, your trainer will look out for you instead of 'having it out for you'. I usually take a few months off after a fight, but I don't show back up until I've put in a lot of work and am read for the grinder again. Each time I'd come back, she'd have it out for me. I'd take my licks and hold-fast for a couple of weeks, eventually I'd have my respect back.

There's nothing greater than earning that. Everyone doubts themselves at times, but when that bell rings, you better be thinking about chomping.
    I owe you push ups and an encore.

see, I'm at the middle ground(yes there is a middle ground)

I don't believe in myself beacause I haven't been knocked out and come back yet, I think I'm a ***** sometimes, and at times I don't think I'm agressive

however, I work my ass off, and I want to work my ass off even more at a pace I can handle. if you gave me a very strict coach that asked more than I could do of me, I'd crack. but if I gradually better myself and push myself, I'd improve and keep going.

beacause I love the sport and I can't see a life without me doing it.

it's always those people who make it out to be a big tough deal that keep people like me, but slightly stupider than me to listen to them, out of the sport. it's those people who make it a big deal are the weakest links.

guess what happened the first time I got punched bare knuckle in the face? I smiled. I was cool with it.
    It wasn't the big deal that people made it out to be, and I had my upper lip between my front teeth, bleeding everywhere.

guess what I did before joining the wrestling team? I asked to be thrown beacause I was fucking scared. and I got thrown judo style on the school carpet at the TKD club without mats. and I passed beacause it wasn't such a big deal.

your pseudo-darwinistic ideas are bullshit, there ARE some fighter that don't believe in themselves beacause assholes keep putting them down, and I hope now that you understand my point

hard work and suffering my ass, I enjoy conditioning and getting smashed in the face from time to time at what I can handle. some people second guess themselves and think they're not ready for those things when they are, then again, I'm talking about a rare breed and I won't deny you that most people are lazy, and suck.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast